Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Which statistic best exemplifies a batter's overall value

Which statistic best exemplifies a batter's overall value to the game of baseball?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
I read the Sports Illustrated article about WAR rating. When they gave the MLB's most valuable player based on that rating, I wouldnt have guessed with 100 tries.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
Shouldn't OPS or adjusted OPS be it? If you're OPS sucks you're not creating runs. If you have a high OBS you're on base a lot to score runs and if your slugging is up there then that means your driving in runs with a lot of extra base hits. It appears to me that runs created is a byproduct of OPS. I could be wrong though. Not the first time.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
kdailey4315 said:
Shouldn't OPS or adjusted OPS be it? If you're OPS sucks you're not creating runs. If you have a high OBS you're on base a lot to score runs and if your slugging is up there then that means your driving in runs with a lot of extra base hits. It appears to me that runs created is a byproduct of OPS. I could be wrong though. Not the first time.
But OPS only takes hits into account. Runs Created takes all this into account.

RC = \frac{(H+BB-CS+HBP-GIDP) \times (TB+(.26 \times (BB - IBB + HBP)) + (.52 \times (SH + SF + SB)))}{AB+BB+HBP+SH+SF}

where BB is base on balls, CS is caught stealing, HBP is hit by pitch, GIDP is grounded into double play, TB is total bases, IBB is intentional base on balls, SH is sacrifice hit, SF is sacrifice fly, and AB is at bats.

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
If you're looking for offensive value, you should restate the question. For overall value, the answer has to be WAR.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I'm a huge nerd but honestly, nine times out of 10, OPS will get you where you need to go. Tell me how often he gets on base and what magical percent of a base he gets to and call it a day.

The major problem with advanced baseball metrics is keeping the math simple enough and keeping linear regressions to a minimum.

The simplier the baseball statistic the better, IMHO.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Not sure how something objective like this would make sense as a poll question. If 200 people voted that hits were the most important stat, it would still be very clear to anyone who is willing to take an objective look that hits are far from the most useful stat.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
pigskincardboard said:
I'm a huge nerd but honestly, nine times out of 10, OPS will get you where you need to go. Tell me how often he gets on base and what magical percent of a base he gets to and call it a day.

The major problem with advanced baseball metrics is keeping the math simple enough and keeping linear regressions to a minimum.

I'm with you on this. Runs created depends too much on the rest of the team, and where you are hitting in the lineup. Those are two variables you can't control as a hitter.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Topnotchsy said:
Not sure how something objective like this would make sense as a poll question. If 200 people voted that hits were the most important stat, it would still be very clear to anyone who is willing to take an objective look that hits are far from the most useful stat.

Kind of the purpose of a poll, to see what the majority's opinion is.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
Topnotchsy said:

Kind of the purpose of a poll, to see what the majority's opinion is.
Got it. My misunderstanding. I thought you were hoping to find out what actually is the most telling stat, not what people thought was the most telling stat. Carry on then...

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
Hallsgator said:
kdailey4315 said:
But OPS only takes hits into account. Runs Created takes all this into account.

RC = \frac{(H+BB-CS+HBP-GIDP) \times (TB+(.26 \times (BB - IBB + HBP)) + (.52 \times (SH + SF + SB)))}{AB+BB+HBP+SH+SF}

where BB is base on balls, CS is caught stealing, HBP is hit by pitch, GIDP is grounded into double play, TB is total bases, IBB is intentional base on balls, SH is sacrifice hit, SF is sacrifice fly, and AB is at bats.

I'm confused. OBP = H+BB+HBP/AB+BB+SF+HBP How does OPS only account for hits?

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
nborton said:
pigskincardboard said:

I'm with you on this. Runs created depends too much on the rest of the team, and where you are hitting in the lineup. Those are two variables you can't control as a hitter.

I think you're misunderstanding RC. It attempts to do exactly the opposite; Runs, RBI, etc. dictate what you're suggesting.

I'm simply saying when you start defining constants in a formula -- HR = 3.73 -- you run the risk of over-complicating the metric and making it useless to the general public.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
pigskincardboard said:
nborton said:
pigskincardboard said:

I think you're misunderstanding RC. It attempts to do exactly the opposite; Runs, RBI, etc. dictate what you're suggesting.

I'm simply saying when you start defining constants in a formula -- HR = 3.73 -- you run the risk of over-complicating the metric and making it useless to the general public.

:lol: ::facepalm:: I was not thinking straight. I saw it as actual runs created. That was my bad. I should be getting to sleep. Your totally right. The RC formula is probably one of the simpler formulas out there.

MichaelStanton2010

Feb 14, 2010
sportscardtheory said:
Simple question. Which statistic best exemplifies a batter's overall value to the game of baseball? Please explain your choice.

Damn... this is some in depth stat crunching going on here :lol:, I like slugging + OBP myself....when I think value... I think longball, people are always looking for the HR hitter that is not one dimensional which is where the OBP comes into play. This is where the $$ is at...not the "all around" run producers these guys often are waaaay undervalued. Power will always be KING the when it comes to evaluating hitters, however only in conjunction with high OBP to support they are by no means all or nothing hitters IMO.

Members online

Latest posts