Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone know what happened to the Bench?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
site returns a database error and has for the last 2 days now.. It seems to be the only place I can get trades done other than Beckett which is also down right now. Was just wondering if anyone might know anything about it and if/when it'll be back up.

klute14

Dec 4, 2008
Maine
I was wondering the same thing.
I need to get trades out and can't get on to get addresses.

dgrimes248

Aug 7, 2008
early yesterday morning, the site had a message that they would be down for a few hours for maintenance...........that was about 30+ hours ago.
Butch

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Any Bench users?

I don't use the Bench much myself, but have lately. As of yesterday, the forms have been down for me. This morning, it still comes up as "Database Error".

Is this happening to anyone else?

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
I too was waiting on word for a possible trade. No dice.

As far as I know, the Bench isn't a site that usually encounters long downtime.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
dgrimes248 said:
early yesterday morning, the site had a message that they would be down for a few hours for maintenance...........that was about 30+ hours ago.
Butch

Yeah, not sure what the trouble is as it should have been back up by now.

cgilmo said:
Many of their guys have migrated here.

For me, I like the discussions better here (for the most part) but feel far better trading there.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
ffgameman said:
Now it says:

"thebenchtrading.com is being parked FREE by GoDaddy.com"

That happens when website registrations lapse and the domains are purchased by people looking to profit off the traffic. Should be interesting to see what happens over the next few days/weeks.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
If you have friends that were on the bench, feel free to invite them here.

It does not look good for them, and they will have to buy the lapsed domain from the guy sitting on it now if they are to work under that domain name.

Chances are his price will be too high, and there's no way that they will be able to pay it.

Do what you always do, and bring your friends over.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
The Go Daddy registration page could also mean that they removed their index file or are in the process of migrating the entire site to a different host or are switching dns servers.

Considering that it costs 10 bucks to renew a domain name, and every reputable host emails the **** out of you for two months, they'd have to be pretty retarded to screw that up. Mind you, I've never used the bench so they could be completely moronic.

Anyone that's ever dealt with a huge database of information and the php calls knows that you can easily spend 50 hours rooting through it just to find the problem.

They could throw a backup on it, but then you've gotta deal with whatever new trades pop up.

Uh oh. I finazlly typed it in and I guess they are morons. Who knew.

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
I just checked whois, and Peter is the owner of the site. The domain is not set to expire until 2/2012.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
cgilmo said:
you check the whois? pretty sure that isn't the same guy.
Dunno, I originally did "thebench.com" but it looks like thebenchtrading.com changed today.

Registrant:
Peter Azevedo
18 Evergreen Pl.
Howell, New Jersey 07731
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: THEBENCHTRADING.COM
Created on: 02-Feb-06
Expires on: 02-Feb-12
Last Updated on: 23-Aug-10

Administrative Contact:

Technical Contact:

Domain servers in listed order:
NS31.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS32.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

kristopher@kristopher-studio:~$

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
ahh, I thought it was owned by someone else.

So it looks like he had hosting problems, and is now migrating what he can over.

I hope he doesn't lose any info, I know how much of a pain it can be.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
No, it's still on godaddy.

They removed the parked page, and are installing vbulletin. I hope they know how to import and reconnect the DB. It can get tricky, and you will lose data if you do it wrong.

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
I hope they get it up soon. I have some open trades. Its by far the best site on the net for set builders and lower end trading. Most of the hobby info posted over there comes from here in one way or another.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
bigalbert said:
I hope they get it up soon. I have some open trades. Its by far the best site on the net for set builders and lower end trading. Most of the hobby info posted over there comes from here in one way or another.

I agree, I hope they come back too.

They fill a niche that we can't fill.

Members online

Latest posts