Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

You've read the great stories, share yours!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
You have heard the great stories about cards over the years, now its time to share yours! Here is mine!

Before I got married, my buddy Eric, AKA stinkstank or halfbreed23, would come over every Tuesday for a Guys Night Out. We would go to the local dive and have some good food, talk smack to the waitresses, talk shop, and then head back to the apartment for some trading or video games. Well one night after dinner, we pulled back into the parking lot at my apartment and he noticed something on the pavement.

He got out and walked out to where it was as I went in to the apartment to hide my dirty laundry LOL.....the life of a bachelor! Well it turned out to be an unopened pack of 06 SP Authentic Football laying in the middle of the parking lot. It had been run over several times as the wrapper was scuffed, and the indentions were visible on the wrapper from the gravel in the pavement.

I don't know where the hell it came from as I don't think any of my neighbors collect cards( I talk to them alot and noone has let me know they collect). It wasn't Eric's or mine as we hadn't bought any of that product that year.

I decided to open it and lo and behold I hit parking lot mojo! It had a Marquese Hagans RC auto in it! It was a little beat up after being run over but stilll what a crazy night!

Share your stories about crazy card finds or what not here!

B

Wes

OG
Administrator
blanning71 said:
You have heard the great stories about cards over the years, now its time to share yours! Here is mine!

Before I got married, my buddy Eric, AKA stinkstank or halfbreed23, would come over every Tuesday for a Guys Night Out. We would go to the local dive and have some good food, talk smack to the waitresses, talk shop, and then head back to the apartment for some trading or video games. Well one night after dinner, we pulled back into the parking lot at my apartment and he noticed something on the pavement.

He got out and walked out to where it was as I went in to the apartment to hide my dirty laundry LOL.....the life of a bachelor! Well it turned out to be an unopened pack of 06 SP Authentic Football laying in the middle of the parking lot. It had been run over several times as the wrapper was scuffed, and the indentions were visible on the wrapper from the gravel in the pavement.

I don't know where the hell it came from as I don't think any of my neighbors collect cards( I talk to them alot and noone has let me know they collect). It wasn't Eric's or mine as we hadn't bought any of that product that year.

I decided to open it and lo and behold I hit parking lot mojo! It had a Marquese Hagans RC auto in it! It was a little beat up after being run over but stilll what a crazy night!

Share your stories about crazy card finds or what not here!

B

LOL that must have meant something else back when you were doing it. Unless you really were insulting them. Which would be kind of odd.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
No, no, it wasn't a bad thing. The waitresses and I have talked trash back and forth for a while there. The same gals have worked there for some time and we talk about all kinds of stuff. It used to get very interesting with some of the conversations we had.

HYPE

Jan 7, 2009
JERSEY
we had an old box of sweet spot classic baseball layin around. a customer in the store hit the sweet spot auto, so i figured there was only a few packs left, ill just crack them and put out. but in the packs was a dimaggio sweet spot with yankee clipper on it.

i got 800+ on ebay for it about a year ago

no where near my best hit ever, but still really cool

Dpanthers14

Aug 7, 2008
Colorado
Nice story brian I wish i had that kind of luck.

Hype I just bought a Joe D with the inscription I'm pretty happy with it considering i bought mine for alot less than you sold urs lol.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
HYPE said:
we had an old box of sweet spot classic baseball layin around. a customer in the store hit the sweet spot auto, so i figured there was only a few packs left, ill just crack them and put out. but in the packs was a dimaggio sweet spot with yankee clipper on it.

i got 800+ on ebay for it about a year ago

no where near my best hit ever, but still really cool

I wish an $800 card was nowhere near my best, lol. I am maxed at $150 as of now. An advantage of having a salary once I leave college should hopefully increase that :)

G

I found cards in a burned out car once. LOL I did not.
I can't really remember any card stories right now.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
Mine is actually similar to HYPE's...

We had a regular one night who collected Kurt Warner. He noticed a box of UD Rookie FX(?) and asked if it was new because he hadn't seen it before and didn't have the Warner. I informed him that it was new and since we didn't have a Warner single and there were only 3 packs left, I told him I'd open 1 pack and see if we couldn't get lucky and hit a Warner.

I had seen every pack opened and the odds were hit so I was fully expecting nothing, bug I pulled a Red Grange cut auto!

Sold it the next day to a regular...no Warner though.

beberly

Aug 7, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Several years back I stopped by the local card shop to rip some packs. I saw one pack left in the Sweet Spot and was going to buy it, but decided not to. A young kid comes in a half hour later and decides to buy the pack and pulls a Barry Bonds Sweet Spot Auto. Beckett had it priced for $300 at the time.

Second story. This involves 2006 Finest Football, but it fits. I bought a mini box and opened it in the shop. I pulled the Eli Manning White Border Xfractor 1/1. I was excited until I realized that it had gotten caught in the pack crimper and had a full set of indentations along the top edge. I was really upset. I did send the card back to Topps and they sent me an Eli Manning Pistine Auto as a replacement. The 1/1 was a lot nicer, but the auto did make up for it a little. So if any Eli Manning collectors are looking for that card, you can now rest in peace knowing that no one has it. I'm still a little annoyed about it because I could have gotten some nice cash for it after last years Super Bowl.

HYPE

Jan 7, 2009
JERSEY
haha. i actually have a decent story. this die hard yankee and giants dude comes in every other week or so. he looks around day in and day out. spends 40 here.. 20 there.. 100 here.. 50 there.. ya know.. all around hes a great guy.. so one day.. he see's that we have 2006 topps update boxes like crazy.. regular and jumbo.. he really wants the cory lidle memorial card. so he stars tearin threw the box pack by pack.. nothing.. kills the box... he says give me another one.. again nothing.. i was starting to feel bad. so i said hang on a sec. grabbed a jumbo pack and BAMMM there ya go.. i felt bad. i couldnt charge the guy. i mean its like a $3 card. i coulda said $50 and he woulda paid, but thats not how i role. he already spend a ton on the boxes for a rinky dink card.. he could care less about the 2 boxes of cards he pulled. so he gave them to me for the little. lol. so in a way, i guess i kind of sold the card for like $120 haha

but no.. the dimaggio was no where near my best pull

reothlisberger leaf limited 2004 phenom 1/1 auto nfl logo rc
jordan / lebron signed sealed exquisite box /23
michael jordan rc buyback auto redemption /23

i would say those are my best 3...

i hit a s. paige cut.. got a 9.5 w/ 10 auto on it.. check bgs pop.. only got like 1100 for it though.. thought it would do more.. guess not haha..

but beckett had a huge write up a few years back on us.. we had the 1/1 babe ruth and the dude from the redsox who traded him to the yeankees ( i forget that ****'s name) dual 1/1 cut out of sp legendary cuts come out of our store.. the dude who pulled it put it on ebay. and steiner bought it and brandon steiner personally picked the card up at our store.. i hate that guy

lol

HYPE

Jan 7, 2009
JERSEY
thats a shame on the eli.. wow... thanks man, i have actually wondered why i have never seen that card lol. i would have actually bought it as is.. o well.. maybe i will be calling my topps dude in the a.m. ;) lol

Pete14Rose

Aug 13, 2008
Virginia
I have a few little ones here and there........

Back in the day (most of my stories start out like that lol) I had a Peyton Manning/Dan Marino Stadium Club Co-Signer dual auto I wanted to trade.

I took it to the local show one weekend to see what I could do.

As a Yankee fan I was looking to trade for Jeter mostly. I look around the show....nothing. On the way out I see this other kid trading so I stop to see what he has. This kid had a Bowman's Best Atomic Refractor Jeter auto that he wanted to sell! I must have stood there for nearly an hour trying to work out a deal with him for my Manning/Marino and what few dollars I had on me. NO DEAL. Kid wouldn't budge and I couldn't find a buyer for my card to come up with the cash the kid wanted. So now I'm frustrated. No Jeter autos and I miss out on probably one of the best Jeter autos I could have hoped to own back then.

So..I wind up giving in and trading my Co-Signer to this one dealer for a single box of 1998 Donruss Signature. I leave, head out to my buddies car and start to open the box...

And BAM! wouldn't you know it....I hit a Jeter Century Mark auto /100!

I couldn't have been happier. All that mess and I actually wound up with a card I really wanted! The odds were stacked against me, but it all worked out in the end.

Dpanthers14

Aug 7, 2008
Colorado
Pete14Rose said:

Back in the day (most of my stories start out like that lol) I had a Peyton Manning/Dan Marino Stadium Club Co-Signer dual auto I wanted to trade.

As a Yankee fan I was looking to trade for Jeter mostly. I look around the show....nothing. On the way out I see this other kid trading so I stop to see what he has. This kid had a Bowman's Best Atomic Refractor Jeter auto that he wanted to sell! I must have stood there for nearly an hour trying to work out a deal with him for my Manning/Marino and what few dollars I had on me. NO DEAL. Kid wouldn't budge and I couldn't find a buyer for my card to come up with the cash the kid wanted. So now I'm frustrated. No Jeter autos and I miss out on probably one of the best Jeter autos I could have hoped to own back then.

So..I wind up giving in and trading my Co-Signer to this one dealer for a single box of 1998 Donruss Signature. I leave, head out to my buddies car and start to open the box...

I couldn't have been happier. All that mess and I actually wound up with a card I really wanted! The odds were stacked against me, but it all worked out in the end.
wow nice story do you still have the jeter today?

HYPE

Jan 7, 2009
JERSEY
GOOD FOR YOU BUDDY.. HEY.. LOOK AT IT LIKE THIS.. THE OTHER JETER MAY HAVE BEEN BETTER, BUT ATLEAST YOU GOT A JETER OUT OF IT

Pete14Rose

Aug 13, 2008
Virginia
Dpanthers14 said:
Pete14Rose said:

wow nice story do you still have the jeter today?

No, unfortunately. I wound up not too long after owning 2 of them. At the time I used to carry a little black case with cards in it ...all in lucite holders. I was pretty big at shows for flipping and dealing. Not a lot of cash, but always got what I wanted. In the bag I had the 2 Jeter Century Marks, a 1998 Bowman Chrome Gold. Ann. Ref. Griffey /5, a 1999 Stad. Club Co-Signer Grieve, Helton, Sexson/Glaus Quad auto, a few Jordan autos and some other pretty high end stuff.

I wound up selling it all in one shot when I got my 1st apartment. I wanted to have my 2st, last and a few month cushion in rent ;)

To this day I regret selling all of the cards I've ever owned. I used to have a TON of really nice, rare 90's-00 cards.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I feel ya Pete. I have been there before too. I remember several years ago I went to my first show in a LOOOOONG time. I had put together a trade box with some really nice stuff in it. My buddy told me that dealers would offer a price on the entire box all in one shot. I had been at the show for a while and I had a dealer come up to me that had heard of my stash. He offered me 300 bucks for the entire box. I told him no way and that I would need more than that. I threw out an offer of 1k for the box thinking he wouldn't bite but I knew the box was well worth 3-5 k in cards. He offered me 600 and I countered with 900. He then came back at 800 and a few PC cards for me and I accepted. I now wish I had held onto the cards as I could have probably sold them for way more than 800 but it seemed right at the moment. Oh well, you win some you lose some. I ended up going away from the show with a good chunk of change more than I started (50 bucks) and I was happy.

stlalways94

Aug 7, 2008
I went to Wal-Mart in Terre Haute one nite while my family went grocery shopping. I went to the card section and got an 8-random pack retail blaster for $9.99. I opened it and their was a pack of '04 SPx inside. I saved it for last, and got:

2004 SPx Sweet Swatch Legendary Signatures Nolan Ryan auto/jsy #/999

It booked $120, and I ended up trading it in a 24-hour trade on Beckett for about $150 BV in rare Miguel Cabrera auto's. :)

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
Some of the ladies at the club where I dance tip me with packs of chrome....pulled a nice red refractor autograph once...which sold on ebay for $500....that was an awesome tip!

Rock on!

Members online

Latest posts