Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BGS Old Label vs. New Label?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
I've heard that BGS with old labels have a perceived "premium" over the new one based on the thinking that BGS was much more strict in grading "back then"...

Would you pay a premium for a old BGS label?

I picked up a Pedro Martinez 1992 Bowman BGS 9.5 for $10 with an old label so was curious...

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
When I buy graded I do prefer the older slabs but I don't pay a premium. I think graders have gotten very leinient in the last couple years.

mlbfan10

Feb 1, 2010
Winston-Salem, NC
Maybe they were more strict and maybe they were not, it's tough to be concrete about it. I personally don't like the old labels and do not buy them unless I'm going to grade them again. ;)

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
and there is NO doubt they were MUCH tougher graders 5+ years ago.

9.5's are simple in 2010 and 10's are way too frequent

BGS 9.5 is the new 9.0

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
You could probably find cases where old ones get a premium, but it's tough to pinpoint exactly why and how much. You could just as easily find the opposite because of any number of reasons.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
In my small sample size of two old bgs labels, one card had a good chance of grading .5 higher and the other has no chance of grading .5 higher. I do believe bgs has gotten more lenient but the quality of cards has improved greatly as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts