Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1,900 Milestone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
Earlier this year I was pretty pessimistic about the possibility of many more new Vizquel cards finding their way to my collection. Upper Deck is gone, Omar is in the twilight of his career, and is in barely anything these days. Then Topps Update comes along, and BINGO! Four new cards puts me squarely at 1,900 different cards on Beckett's list. Wouldn't you know, #1,900 was the base card.

It makes me wonder how many new Vizquel cards will be released from here on out. I'm sure Topps doesn't see much value including him in their products at this point, especially if he retires. MAYBE on a few rare occasions, but I can't imagine more than a few cards every couple years. If he happens to make the HOF then he'll surely pop up in some products but probably not many.

So considering that, I think about what my collection will look like at the end of 2011. And the year after, in 5 years, 10 years, etc. It's a tall order to think I'll track down another 100 cards and make it to 2,000. Heck, it's very possible I don't add another 50 cards. And that's a very weird feeling...

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Congrats! Reaching 1,900 is impressive, but having an additional 300 unlisted cards is even more impressive.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Topps should at least give every player who could potentially appear on a HOF ballot a final card the year after his retirement showing complete career stats...so I'd hope Omar would get a 2011 Topps issue.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Congratulations! Especially considering the % you have, that's quite an accomplishment! I am amazed!!
About having more cards, Gwynn retired in 2002, and 8 years later is still having entirely too many cards!! VERY bittersweet!!!
If you are in to that kind of thing, then you still have hope!! :D

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
nevermore said:
Congrats! Reaching 1,900 is impressive, but having an additional 300 unlisted cards is even more impressive.

Not to steal his thunder but if your player played during the mid 80's-late 90's and also had Star cards as well as Topps Tek cards where they only list one...having 300 cards not listed is a piece of cake.

To the OP...hey...at least when something big or rare does roll around you will have the money for it because you won't be spending it on any other Vizquel cards.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
predatorkj said:
nevermore said:

Not to steal his thunder but if your player played during the mid 80's-late 90's and also had Star cards as well as Topps Tek cards where they only list one...having 300 cards not listed is a piece of cake.

To the OP...hey...at least when something big or rare does roll around you will have the money for it because you won't be spending it on any other Vizquel cards.

Thanks guys!

What's really helped are all the Venezuelan cards. There are tons of them and are some are among my favorites. Many are unauthorized, some promote products like toothbrushes, cereal, beer, and others are found in merchandise like ice cream.

And you're right predatorkj, fewer issues means my wallet can relax a little bit. But it's a catch-22 of course. I'd love more cards to chase but I do enjoy not spending as much $ as I used to.

However it seems like I'm spending a ton more time now for each new card I find. They used to fall into my lap on eBay and a few other places. Now I can hunt every day and it may take 2 months before I get a single new card. I guess that I need to adjust my expectations. For any of you guys in a similar situation, how did you change your collecting habits?

Members online

Latest posts