Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Koufax, Aaron, Ruth, Mantle, etc in Bowman Chrome?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
Would you all like it if Topps decided to add, say, ten legends to its Bowman Chrome line?
The ten cards would take the place of ten veteran players on the checklist.

There would be auto variations of the living guys (at insane odds though) and all types of refs would be possible for both the autos and non autos.

I ask because the only time they have done this was back in 2003 with Mays leading me to think they (topps/customer feedback) was never positive.

I would be all for this, something kind of unique and the refs would look awesome.

383astro

Jan 13, 2009
Oklahoma
I wish the topps base set variations were available in parallels. The black ones would be awesome. I agree though that Bowman is reserved for rookies. Maybe picture them in their rookie uniforms?

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
If it were for ten crappy veterans... I would say do it. I would leave the autos out though... It is reserved for rc/prospects.

Better yet, leave them out of the base set all-together, and do a Box Topper type dealy...

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I would rather see legends/HOFers in Finest like they were in 2001, 2002, 2005, etc.

2002FinestFergie.jpg

2005FinestGoldRef26-49.jpg

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
i'm surprised topps never kept up with the fan favorites set. the entire point of those sets were for player collectors of players that are hardly in any sets. as favorites retire in years to come, it only produces more fodder for that set. i think of PC guys on FCB (Will Clark, Larry Walker, Omar Vizquel, Rusty Greer, Paul O'Neill to name a few) that are not in many sets any more, if any...

I just think it'd be cool to have one set every year dedicated to guys that were extremely popular in their days and didn't make the HOF or are not currently playing.

this was off topic, but this topic made me think about it.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
markakis8 said:
i'm surprised topps never kept up with the fan favorites set. the entire point of those sets were for player collectors of players that are hardly in any sets. as favorites retire in years to come, it only produces more fodder for that set. i think of PC guys on FCB (Will Clark, Larry Walker, Omar Vizquel, Rusty Greer, Paul O'Neill to name a few) that are not in many sets any more, if any...

I just think it'd be cool to have one set every year dedicated to guys that were extremely popular in their days and didn't make the HOF or are not currently playing.

that would cost too much, as would legends/HOFers

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
chashawk said:
markakis8 said:

im not sure what you mean. they already do it with legends/HOF's in many sets...

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Where is Topps on commemorating the Hall of Fame?

How about a constantly updating chrome (Topps or Bowman) HOF chase set? All cards limited to a set run from 500-999 copies, all refractors and a "bronze" refractor limited to 100. This set would include every single member of the HOF.

That set would be huge if the design was spot on and classic.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
markakis8 said:
chashawk said:
markakis8 said:

im not sure what you mean. they already do it with legends/HOF's in many sets...
A few yes, and mostly on stickers. But not anywhere near the scale of ATFF or Topps Retired.

MLB doesn't even allow for all-retired products anymore.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
I have been disappointed that Topps has not done a set similar to the Ring of Honor it does for football.

I think a continuous auto set in Topps Chrome or Topps of each years major awards winners and HOF inductees (still living) would be a tremendous set that every year people would look forward to collecting.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
markakis8 said:

ATFF failed because people didn't like paying $80 for a box and pulling a Jeff Blauser autograph

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I'd be all for it.

Basically, the majority of those who bust BC can't even give away the red vet parallels, let alone their base cards. Put some true legends in there, along with parallels and autos (if possible). It can't hurt the brand any.

But I doubt we'll see this happen. As long as it sells out (which it always does), Topps doesn't have enough motivation to implement this idea.

Members online

Latest posts