Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Top 100 prospects that Sell for Nothing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I have always found it interesting to watch the sale prices of players on the top 100 Lists prior to the season. I have always taken the lists and found 10-15 guys that are vastly underpriced based on their prospect status, and in comparison to others that are not ranked nearly as high.

Here are a few that come to mind ***Note I am invested in a couple of these guys, and NOT in most of them

I just look at this list and say, these are guys in the top 100, some in the top 30 who you could buy a STACK of for $100. Kind of Crazy when you think about it. Well, at least to me it is.

10 Wilin Rosario
24 Devin Mesoraco
25 Lonnie Chisenhall
46 Alex White
49 Tony Sanchez
57 Brent Morel
58 Yasmani Grandal
67 Matt Dominguez
71 Tyler Skaggs
79 Christian Colon
92 Tyler Chatwood
100 Drew Pomeranz

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
ballerskrip said:
I have always found it interesting to watch the sale prices of players on the top 100 Lists prior to the season. I have always taken the lists and found 10-15 guys that are vastly underpriced based on their prospect status, and in comparison to others that are not ranked nearly as high.

Here are a few that come to mind ***Note I am invested in a couple of these guys, and NOT in most of them

I just look at this list and say, these are guys in the top 100, some in the top 30 who you could buy a STACK of for $100. Kind of Crazy when you think about it. Well, at least to me it is.

10 Wilin Rosario
24 Devin Mesoraco
25 Lonnie Chisenhall
46 Alex White
49 Tony Sanchez
57 Brent Morel
58 Yasmani Grandal
67 Matt Dominguez
71 Tyler Skaggs
79 Christian Colon
92 Tyler Chatwood
100 Drew Pomeranz

Notice how many are on the Indians. People may care about them less than the Pirates now.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Great point Beefy, I didn't even notice that. I think Indians "prospectors"/fans got hurt bad enough with Beau MIlls and Adam Miller. OUCH

skrip

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
Most of those guys have low ceilings, high floors. Probably solid big league players but they don't excite people with the chance of being a major star.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
SamHell said:
Most of those guys have low ceilings, high floors. Probably solid big league players but they don't excite people with the chance of being a major star.

I don't know that I agree with that one bit.

I can see all of these guys as All Stars at least:

10 Wilin Rosario
24 Devin Mesoraco
25 Lonnie Chisenhall
49 Tony Sanchez
58 Yasmani Grandal
67 Matt Dominguez
71 Tyler Skaggs
]100 Drew Pomeranz

tm decomposer

Aug 29, 2010
ballerskrip said:
SamHell said:

10 Wilin Rosario
24 Devin Mesoraco
25 Lonnie Chisenhall
49 Tony Sanchez
58 Yasmani Grandal
67 Matt Dominguez
71 Tyler Skaggs
]100 Drew Pomeranz
Great point right here and I agree. I've kinda got on the Rosario train a little too late, even though I've picked up two chrome autos for a nice price of $16.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
ballerskrip said:
SamHell said:

10 Wilin Rosario
24 Devin Mesoraco
25 Lonnie Chisenhall
49 Tony Sanchez
58 Yasmani Grandal
67 Matt Dominguez
71 Tyler Skaggs
]100 Drew Pomeranz

Rosario- Good D with power. best case scenario 260 with 20 HR's. Valuable but only occasional all-star.
Mesoraco-Rosario with less defense.
Chisenhall - Average D. Some pop with decent average. Occasional all-star
Tony Sanchez - Good D that should hit for decent average. Average power. Solid regular.
Yasman Grandal - Good D with solid bat and power from left side. Solid regular/platoon.
Matt Dominguez - All glove, No bat..atleast not yet.
Tyler Skaggs -Projects a #3. Valuable but rarely all-stars.
Drew Pomeranz - Decent fastball, good curve, lots of work needed on change. commands is iffy. projects as a 3.

I'm not knocking any of these guys but its hard to dream on them being superstars like people do with Trout, Harper, Tallion and others. Solid isn't a sexy word in prospecting IMO.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
Brent Morel will have a small window to make a profit.....albeit small, there will be a window though and that my friends is all you ask for of your prospects :D

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Did Garrett Richards not make the Top-100? I haven't been paying attention, but that's a dude you can get a tonne of and totally dream on. I know you kids love to dream and stuff.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
ballerskrip said:
Great point Beefy, I didn't even notice that. I think Indians "prospectors"/fans got hurt bad enough with Beau MIlls and Adam Miller. OUCH

skrip

they got a little taste of laporta too ;)

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
masonphillip said:
ballerskrip said:

skrip

they got a little taste of laporta too ;)

I was thinking about that last summer. I wasn't burned by any of those guys so didn't hesitate with Carlos Santana and pulled the trigger quick-fast. I think a lot of the Laporta people actually managed to get burned, or at least left a lot of money on the table.

COnsidering Santana's talents, it was somewhat wild.

danboone2006

May 22, 2010
Cleveland OH
How much do you think it has to do with guys like Colon, Pomeranz, and Kipnis being redemptions?

I've noticed quite a difference in the prices of redemptions, and the live cards.

OhioBobcat3

Aug 7, 2008
Ohio
I can't speak for Pomeranz and White, but Chisenhall prices are quite a bit higher than what they once were. Kipnis prices have risen as well. They both may still sell for less than other guys, but their BC parallels especially have garnered interest as of late.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I'm surprised at how low Morel is still going for. He's going to get a lot of playing time with the White Sox and has a bright future with his fielding ability.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
My only Kipins I have and I had to wait a while for it since it was a redemption :lol:
scan-2.jpg

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
i still have faith in dominguez. i sold most of my slabs of him when his blue ref 9.5s were hitting 75-80. i've rebought some since he's gotten so cheap. today's 'sell for nothing' guy is tomorrow's 'hot list' guy imo. even guys that are hyped today (like moose) had VERY sharp price drops for no apparent reason. that's why i sell when i can make a decent profit + rebuy (unless there's some reason not to- drugs, arm blown out, etc.)

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
rainmanesq said:
i still have faith in dominguez. i sold most of my slabs of him when his blue ref 9.5s were hitting 75-80. i've rebought some since he's gotten so cheap. today's 'sell for nothing' guy is tomorrow's 'hot list' guy imo. even guys that are hyped today (like moose) had VERY sharp price drops for no apparent reason. that's why i sell when i can make a decent profit + rebuy (unless there's some reason not to- drugs, arm blown out, etc.)

Mous is the perfect example. He fell out of favor for no real reason. That is when I bought back in, (6) bgs 9.5 chrome autos and $35 dlvd a piece. Should triple my money on those. I love when these lists come out and remind of how many good players are NOT BEING HYPED and I just see $$$ signs in front of me.

skrip

bdal23

Aug 7, 2008
ballerskrip said:
rainmanesq said:

Mous is the perfect example. He fell out of favor for no real reason. That is when I bought back in, (6) bgs 9.5 chrome autos and $35 dlvd a piece. Should triple my money on those. I love when these lists come out and remind of how many good players are NOT BEING HYPED and I just see $$$ signs in front of me.

skrip

This is what I do to. I also try to project who most likely can elevate into the top 10 the next year. This year what is getting forgot about are all the young major leaguers that are good investments.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
ballerskrip said:
rainmanesq said:

skrip
exactly. i think moose has made me the most $ out of all my prospecting ventures as i've bought/sold him so many times + still have some very nice cards left (best is 07 bcdp gold ref 9.5 on all subs; have a few ee au 9.5s- all 9.5 subs). if only moose were a yankee, he'd be THE JESUS of FCB :lol:

people seem to move onto the 'hot product'/'flavor of the month' + decent guys (like moose;freeman to some degree...i got some 07 blue refs of him for <$30 last year) fall for no apparent reason. i'm a little more doubtful about dominguez (like lambo, he seems to have been 'forgotten'), but i still have faith in him + he's young enough to turn things around.

as much as i love ripping wax, lately, i've been putting my case $ into buying singles of 'guys who fell for no real reason'. not quite as fun (no 'thrill' of a big hit), but so far, more profitable.

Members online

Latest posts