Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MOD - PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Hi Guys,

This clearly isn't an idea that is going to fly, so I have revised the break concept in a new thread. Mod, please delete this one. Thank you.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Re: 2008 PRIME CUTS IV - 15 Box Group Case Break!

Great questions - please see red text below.

bouwob said:
Just some random thoughts.

How is the price point determined. All costs associated with buying the cards will be payed for by by the people buying the cards so would the entry price be

((price of case + cost of shipping) / number of slots) + paypal fee

Price point of $145 * 21 = $3,045. Cases will be about $2,800-2,900. Extra covers the cost of supplies, & my time to track everything and sell it all on ebay.

How will shipping price on cards be determined. Potentially (especially with cards that sell for less than $10) a good majority of the revenue is gained from the shipping price addition. If you charge $3.50 for s&h it will likely only cost $2.50 with dc, supplies and fees to send every card out. Where does the addition dollar end up? May not seem like much, but if you sell 100 cards, this could amount to $4 or $5 per entry.

I will charge $2.00 for single cards to be shipped in bubble mailers with D/C, which cost me just about $2.00 in postage. I already stated above, I'm not looking to make any money on shipping and should I end up with any extra dollars from shipping costs, I will split any extra income from that amongst all the break participants.

Do auction titles have to be approved by all participants? A great title can double the amount of views the auction gets compared to a not so great title.

No. The titles will be left to my discretion. That said, after more than 10 years selling experience on ebay, I think I got a pretty good grasp on what makes a good title.

What happens if something is returned. You sell everything, cash everyone out then 15 days later somebody disputes a $100 card and wins. How will this work out? Will all of the participants be forced to send you $5 after its all said and done or do you just eat the costs?

I don't accept returns so it's not an issue and everything will go with D/C, so there will be no disputes. Nobody will be asked to send me any additional money after the initial payments are made.

highphat

Aug 18, 2008

Price point of $145 * 21 = $3,045. Cases will be about $2,800-2,900. Extra covers the cost of supplies, & my time to track everything and sell it all on ebay.

It appears that cases can be had for as low as $2300-2400. If you can get it for the same, woud it lower the buy in?

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008

highphat said:

It appears that cases can be had for as low as $2300-2400. If you can get it for the same, woud it lower the buy in?

Absolutely!!!

lavatrna

Aug 8, 2008

I like the product and might be interested in a "real" casebreak but I just do not get this concept.

In the most likely case I will pay 150$ and get 100$ (in cash) back in return? Isn't it a better feeling to get some actual product (attractive cards) back, so that it doesn't hurt that much?

I guess it is only for gamblers not for collectors. But for gamblers you not only reduce the cost but also the reward. If you happen to pull a 1000$ card on top of having to break even with the rest of the case, everybody gets 40$? That wouldn't be worth it for me.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008

are all 5 cards per box sell-a-bull?
i would think base cards might go without a 99 cent bid

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY

boomo said:
are all 5 cards per box sell-a-bull?
i would think base cards might go without a 99 cent bid

could be sold as a lot also

however, those #/10 century inserts sell very well. i think i sold 5 for over $200+ (no auto, no game used!)

dave

xcantgobackx

Aug 20, 2008
Jersey Shore

lavatrna said:
I like the product and might be interested in a "real" casebreak but I just do not get this concept.

In the most likely case I will pay 150$ and get 100$ (in cash) back in return? Isn't it a better feeling to get some actual product (attractive cards) back, so that it doesn't hurt that much?

I guess it is only for gamblers not for collectors. But for gamblers you not only reduce the cost but also the reward. If you happen to pull a 1000$ card on top of having to break even with the rest of the case, everybody gets 40$? That wouldn't be worth it for me.

Agreed, no offense, as some might be into this idea. But what if you pull a card that you really want to keep? I don't want to have to now bid against someone for it.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City

I'm in for a spot. I don't really collect and like the gamble and the prospect of paying 1/15th of the price of a case to watch it broke which currently is the only thing I enjoy.

mburgin

Aug 11, 2008

i'm going to get highly flamed for this so i will only post once in this thread and not be reading any of the replies.

this is by no means anything against the OP but this is absolutley one of the dumbest ideas i've ever heard. if you want to watch a high dollar case busted, why not just look on youtube. it makes absolutely NO sense to pay any money into a case and let someone else enjoy busting it. while the concept of andrew's breaks and the way he does it may or may not yield a high dollar card, atleast someone gets to keep the high dollar card and most people get "something" from the break for their money. this concept of breaking a case and then selling everything is just a crazy idea and an absolute horrible chance at gambling. you would have a better chance looking for a return off a lottery ticket than making money on a case such as this IMO.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008

mburgin said:
i'm going to get highly flamed for this so i will only post once in this thread and not be reading any of the replies.

this is by no means anything against the OP but this is absolutley one of the dumbest ideas i've ever heard. if you want to watch a high dollar case busted, why not just look on youtube. it makes absolutely NO sense to pay any money into a case and let someone else enjoy busting it. while the concept of andrew's breaks and the way he does it may or may not yield a high dollar card, at least someone gets to keep the high dollar card and most people get "something" from the break for their money. this concept of breaking a case and then selling everything is just a crazy idea and an absolute horrible chance at gambling. you would have a better chance looking for a return off a lottery ticket than making money on a case such as this IMO.

You aren't going to get flamed... You are entitled to your opinion. While I couldn't disagree more with your response, I do appreciate your opinion and your honesty. Fact is, I've busted MANY high end cases for the shear sake of the gamble and hopes of getting a big money card and I have hit them many a time. I also respectfully disagree with your assessment of Andrew's break method, especially on high dollar product, which, for me, is the real fun of breaking wax. You aren't guaranteed to get anything. In fact, you might get crap, which I've gotten TWICE on a $125 investment. I got nothin back. That's not a complaint, and I'm not looking to go in a direction of "well you knew wha you were getting into." YES, I did; and I had a lot of fun with it. I'm just sayin, I'd of liked to of had a chance at a share of the overall case rather than the Team Tandum of the Reds #'d to 150 that I'll get $.99 cents for on ebay. So wouldn't it have been better off for me in this situation to have gotten 1/30th of the overall sales price of all the items pulled from the case? You betcha.

Justin, welcome to the case break - Only need 20 more gamblers like you and I :)

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008

xcantgobackx said:
lavatrna said:

Agreed, no offense, as some might be into this idea. But what if you pull a card that you really want to keep? I don't want to have to now bid against someone for it.

Just out of curiosity, but what would you do in Andrew's break when he busts a 2003 Bowman Chrome box, hit's a Hanley Ramirez Gold Refractor and you had the Mets? You wouldn't be able to get it unless the go who had the Redsox - a) sells it you (either on the board or ebay - no difference there to the concept of what I'm suggesting) or b) trades with you.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City

Bill Menard said:
xcantgobackx said:
lavatrna said:

Just out of curiosity, but what would you do in Andrew's break when he busts a 2003 Bowman Chrome box, hit's a Hanley Ramirez Gold Refractor and you had the Mets? You wouldn't be able to get it unless the go who had the Redsox - a) sells it you (either on the board or ebay - no difference there to the concept of what I'm suggesting) or b) trades with you.

Bill would you be interested in possibly just splitting a case and selling to recoup. I don't want to keep any cards etc.

mburgin

Aug 11, 2008

Bill Menard said:
mburgin said:

this is by no means anything against the OP but this is absolutley one of the dumbest ideas i've ever heard. if you want to watch a high dollar case busted, why not just look on youtube. it makes absolutely NO sense to pay any money into a case and let someone else enjoy busting it. while the concept of andrew's breaks and the way he does it may or may not yield a high dollar card, at least someone gets to keep the high dollar card and most people get "something" from the break for their money. this concept of breaking a case and then selling everything is just a crazy idea and an absolute horrible chance at gambling. you would have a better chance looking for a return off a lottery ticket than making money on a case such as this IMO.

You aren't going to get flamed... You are entitled to your opinion. While I couldn't disagree more with your response, I do appreciate your opinion and your honesty. Fact is, I've busted MANY high end cases for the shear sake of the gamble and hopes of getting a big money card and I have hit them many a time. I also respectfully disagree with your assessment of Andrew's break method, especially on high dollar product, which, for me, is the real fun of breaking wax. You aren't guaranteed to get anything. In fact, you might get crap, which I've gotten TWICE on a $125 investment. I got nothin back. That's not a complaint, and I'm not looking to go in a direction of "well you knew wha you were getting into." YES, I did; and I had a lot of fun with it. I'm just sayin, I'd of liked to of had a chance at a share of the overall case rather than the Team Tandum of the Reds #'d to 150 that I'll get $.99 cents for on ebay. So wouldn't it have been better off for me in this situation to have gotten 1/30th of the overall sales price of all the items pulled from the case? You betcha.

Justin, welcome to the case break - Only need 20 more gamblers like you and I :)

i know i said i wouldn't post again i do want to say thanks for allowing me to express my opinion and not flaming me. my biggest thing on this i guess is just mixed emotions. while this is nothing against you as a person or poster, i just can't understand the concept of paying that much money for someone else to get the thrill out of opening a high end product only to sit on the sidelines and watch. to me, its like standing at the card shop and watching someone spend alot of money on a product and not walk out the door with anything. to me, i would atleast like the opportunity to have a shot at owning a babe ruth cuth autograph instead of having to sell it and split the money.

i think over the internet that words are offen mistaken for what we actually feel so please let me stress that this is not an attack on you or anyone else but more a feeling of mixed emotions on this particular idea of a case break in general.

mike

boomo

Sep 14, 2008

still think the presidential razor cut would be a better gamble.
at 145 a spot, would only take 15 high rollers.
GW cut, and wowsa. jimmy carter cut, and same thing as
getting nothing from the prime cuts. and the razor pres cut is
500 cheaper for the same possible windfall if not better.
bill, what do you think? burgin makes good points, and i would think
people taking a chance on a pres cut are gonna be more than happy to
sell the cut since it could bring 5 figures. prime cuts contains to many cards
people may want to keep.

elemin8

Aug 7, 2008

I don't mind this idea but I have to agree with another poster. Not all of us bust just to sell the big card. Some cards we do want to keep. So why not at the end of the bust you list the big pulls, put some arbitrary value to it that must be made and people to bid on it via the message board. This allow a person from the break to buy it before it hits bay. If no one wants to pay the arbitrary value of the card it goes to ebay. So for example:

Cal Ripken 3 colour jersey auto - 35 dollars

Then someone will say I will buy it for 35 then someone will offer 40 and so on. You have a 2 day limit on it and then move it to ebay.

I don't know if this is a good idea or not but just throwing it out there as I would hate to see a card pulled and not be able to add it to my collection. At least if it went to a member I can offer him something before it goes to the masses.

Dpanthers14

Aug 7, 2008
Colorado

Have fun with this one, If my calculations are currect every card will have to atleast sell for 40.6 to break even. I know some of these cards will but Good Luck! You will need it :D

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008

justinmandawg said:
Bill Menard said:
xcantgobackx said:
lavatrna said:

Bill would you be interested in possibly just splitting a case and selling to recoup. I don't want to keep any cards etc.

If we got a group of 5 - 6 people who wanted to do this break together, yes.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.

Bill Menard said:
justinmandawg said:
[quote="Bill Menard":1j9jixm5]
xcantgobackx said:
lavatrna said:

If we got a group of 5 - 6 people who wanted to do this break together, yes.[/quote:1j9jixm5]

I would be game for 5-10 people.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008

mburgin said:
Bill Menard said:
mburgin said:

i know i said i wouldn't post again i do want to say thanks for allowing me to express my opinion and not flaming me. my biggest thing on this i guess is just mixed emotions. while this is nothing against you as a person or poster, i just can't understand the concept of paying that much money for someone else to get the thrill out of opening a high end product only to sit on the sidelines and watch. to me, its like standing at the card shop and watching someone spend alot of money on a product and not walk out the door with anything. to me, i would atleast like the opportunity to have a shot at owning a babe ruth cuth autograph instead of having to sell it and split the money.

i think over the internet that words are offen mistaken for what we actually feel so please let me stress that this is not an attack on you or anyone else but more a feeling of mixed emotions on this particular idea of a case break in general.

mike
Unfortunatly Mike im one of those people that like to see highend breaks even if I dont get a thing :oops: . I acully get pumped to see if a highend card gets pull even knowing I will not get it or ever see it again. I know sad :lol: but there are a few of us case breaker browsers that do get a thrill of watching Breaks. I obviously do not go looking for them but if they are here I love to check them out. Good luck to the participants as I will be watching :)

Members online

Latest posts