Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Blowout sues UD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Card Geeks Blog

Jun 2, 2011
I'm not sure how to feel about this. How can you sue over "selective enforcement" of their own rules? It's their policy, not the government's. IDK, seems like a bunch of whining by Blowout IMO. I'm not Upper Deck sympathizer but I think I'm on their side for this one.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
what a mother flipping joke! Blowout is the price manipulator, NOT Upper Deck.

Blowout is a middle man, that's it. Nothing more. Without the manufacturers, they are NOTHING. I think Blowout is flat out scared, and are doing this out of desperation.

Can't Upper Deck sell their product to anyone they damn well please? They could pick pone distributor ONLY, and roll that way if they wanted to.

total BULL CRAP

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
I dont like UD and havent purchased their products in years, but they should have the right to sell to whomever they want.

Also, how exactly does UD manipulate the pricing when its blowout we all buy from?

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
If Blowout wins this case, I know one thing for sure is that I won't purchase any new direct Upper Deck boxes from blowout - they will all be dead boxes.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
brouthercard said:
If Blowout wins this case, I know one thing for sure is that I won't purchase any new direct Upper Deck boxes from blowout - they will all be dead boxes.

Visit local money pit and buy your UD boxes. FCB shop has to love this.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Wow, amazing, a lawsuit UD should actually win (if this one isn't thrown out long before trial, that is)! Manufacturers can sell to whomever they want, with whatever guidelines they set forth (including prices), and there's not too much that wholesalers/retailers can do about it. Many of the vendors my company buys from have specific contracts stating required MSRPs, and there's no negotation about it. If we want to sell something for $275 to undercut the competition, when the contracted MSRP is $300, we will lose the right to carry merch from that vendor. One of my company's minor competitors was put out of business by these same vendors for doing just that. I don't see anything in the law that says UD legally has to sell their underwhelming products to Blowout, and frankly, I don't see why Blowout is so upset about the crap UD has been releasing.

manningmurphyfan

Aug 17, 2008
cgilmo said:
matchpenalty said:
brouthercard said:

damn right we do

as a shop, I love the new panini and ud models.

Are you seeing higher allocations with the change or is it too early to tell?

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
manningmurphyfan said:
cgilmo said:
matchpenalty said:
brouthercard said:

damn right we do

Are you seeing higher allocations with the change or is it too early to tell?

Much higher allocations, and the price of products doesn't skyrocket out of control before release. It makes a better landscape for all.

pac213up

Feb 9, 2009
cgilmo said:
matchpenalty said:
brouthercard said:

damn right we do

And as I consumer I wish UD and Panini would focus more on the content and quality of their products to drive demand. I'm certainly not going to be driving 30 minutes out of my way to pay 10% more for the same garbage they continue to put out.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
pac213up said:
cgilmo said:
matchpenalty said:
brouthercard said:

damn right we do

And as I consumer I wish UD and Panini would focus more on the content and quality of their products to drive demand. I'm certainly not going to be driving 30 minutes out of my way to pay 10% more for the same garbage they continue to put out.

Yes, but how many times have you bought a $125 box that was only designed to be a $75 box at the factory?

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
cgilmo said:
pac213up said:
cgilmo said:
matchpenalty said:
brouthercard said:

damn right we do

Yes, but how many times have you bought a $125 box that was only designed to be a $75 box at the factory?

Let me start by saying that I like it. Let me ask how card shops will be monitored? When 2011 donruss elite is costed out to the store at $55 and day one it is at $95, is that acceptable? $105? $115? Not trying to be an ass, just trying to understand. I think there will be many shops that WILL hold their customers hostage on price. I also think that overall it could be a great thing for local card shops if done right.

skrip

manningmurphyfan

Aug 17, 2008
?[/quote]

Much higher allocations, and the price of products doesn't skyrocket out of control before release. It makes a better landscape for all.[/quote]

That's good to hear. I know it used to suck being with UD and getting next to nothing on their high products unless you were one of the top tiers.

Maybe my idea of opening a card shop wouldn't be such a crazy idea if the manufacturers continue going this route. Was actually going to post something about the possibility of doing it based on having "x" amount to invest the other day. Would just need to find the right area to move to because it isn't happening where I live :lol: .

pac213up

Feb 9, 2009
cgilmo said:
pac213up said:
cgilmo said:
matchpenalty said:
brouthercard said:

damn right we do

Almost never now. I generally buy in early enough to beat the spikes and if I can't I move on.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
pac213up said:
cgilmo said:
pac213up said:
cgilmo said:
matchpenalty said:
[quote="brouthercard":3p1zm3cb]If Blowout wins this case, I know one thing for sure is that I won't purchase any new direct Upper Deck boxes from blowout - they will all be dead boxes.

damn right we do

Almost never now. I generally buy in early enough to beat the spikes and if I can't I move on.[/quote:3p1zm3cb]

Then you aren't like most consumers

Members online

Latest posts