Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Type "Pujols (2001,01) Auto*" into eBay and...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Type "Pujols (2001,01) Auto*" into eBay and you get 71 results (including stores.) Of those 71, all but 2 are overpriced BIN/BO listings, and in 5 hours, barring any new listings, every single listing will be BIN/BO. I don't know about anyone else, but while BIN's are nice, especially when it's an item I am interested in, BIN/BO is a major hassle most of the time, and if I have to wait and can't BIN, I'd 100x rather that it was an auction and I had a shot at a decent price.

Don't know what anyone else thinks, but I think the changes that eBay has pushed for as far as moving to BIN/BO are awful. Instead of a fun auction site, it feels like hunting through an antique shop. All sorts of junk lying around, and anything good is way overpriced.

Thoughts?

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Agreed.

There are plenty of listings up that id like, that if they were true auctions, id win for a few pennies on the dollar.

it happens

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Top, you are 100% right.

I couldn't agree with you more. I don't mind if someone lists a nice card for 125% of BV or what not, but every nice card seems to be pirce at 300%-400% BV or more

skrip

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
People are trying to maximize profits.

They would rather throw it up with a BIN for 20 instead of it getting 11 in an auction.

If people want the card bad enough, they will hit the BIN, if not they do not get the card.

In most cases when I list a BIN/BO it is when I am in no rush to get rid of the card, but at the right price I would not mind letting it go.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
ballerskrip said:
Top, you are 100% right.

I couldn't agree with you more. I don't mind if someone lists a nice card for 125% of BV or what not, but every nice card seems to be pirce at 300%-400% BV or more

skrip

worse are the ones that do that w/o a BO option

jacobbocce72

Aug 7, 2008
Austin, TX
i've always made sure to make my bin/bo's very reasonable, as i don't want to get a dud auction and have something go for way lower than it should.

I really understand what your are saying. I have had my eye on a few bagwell's that are always on the bay. Always 30 day listings, always way overpriced, and always a best offer that will not budge. There is a lot of overpriced BIN's out there, and most are not worth the time or effort.

So, to sum up... i've always listed with a reasonable BIN/BO, but can't tell you the last time a bought a card via BIN/BO

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
Agreed.

There are plenty of listings up that id like, that if they were true auctions, id win for a few pennies on the dollar.

it happens
I'm no longer talking about an individual and a specific purchase. It's much bigger than that. eBay used to be a place to "hang out." Sitting around and browsing auctions was always fun, and the chance to find a nice steal was always enticing. Now I find eBay to pain a painful site to navigate, and I think that the "fun" in eBay is gone.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
ThoseBackPages said:
ballerskrip said:
Top, you are 100% right.

skrip

worse are the ones that do that w/o a BO option

agreed....

I accept most reasonable offers, but there are times that I am being a stubborn @ss and am looking for more.

skrip

fengzhang

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
Think about it this way, if there were no BIN's, then many of those cards wouldn't be found on Ebay at all. Obviously, if a seller keeps listing a $15 card for $30, they probably aren't in a hurry to move it. The number of BIN's have increased dramatically in the last few years but the number of reserve auctions and high minimum bids have decreased (this used to be how sellers protect themselves). If you don't have BIN's, presumably you'd not see the cards on Ebay or you'd see them on Ebay with a high minimum bid.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
The economy and the down card market also plays into this. I'd be willing to bet that over 50% of the people who own those Pujols cards paid significantly more than what their current market value is for them. Nobody is willing to take a loss on them right now and they're just dangling them out there to see if anyone is willing to bite since it costs very little to list via BIN/BO now. For every buyer who gets a steal, there is an unhappy seller. Sellers are just protecting themselves now.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
Just the start. Ebay is purposely encouraging it to be more like amazon. Outside of collectibles most items on ebay are mass listings of the same battery charger.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
I've opted to use the BIN/BO method as of late because I got tired of losing money on everything I put up (it's the economy that has made the BIN/BO so popular)... As someone wrote above, seller's are doing this to protect thier investment's. To be honest, I've also found in my completed searche's that (as far as selling goes) the most profit is often made on a BIN/BO item opposed to an auction style listing of the same card. When wading through completed listing's there has been many times where I am astonished that certain item's are going for such "high" price's, while a few spaces down the same item was auctioned off for a fraction of the price. As a buyer I love the live auction, while as a seller I love the BIN/BO! :D

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
nborton said:
Just the start. Ebay is purposely encouraging it to be more like amazon. Outside of collectibles most items on ebay are mass listings of the same battery charger.
I'm not sure if people realize this, but this is the case. eBay has pushed to make the site more like Amazon (no secret, they've spoken out about it) and the changes to the fee structure reflect that. Personally I think that eBay is heading toward some rough times.

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
As someone who has recently switched to almost 100% BIN/BO auctions... I wish ebay would ban them. Auction off the card or don't.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
flightposite said:
As someone who has recently switched to almost 100% BIN/BO auctions... I wish ebay would ban them. Auction off the card or don't.
As stated, not only won't eBay ban them, but they are encouraging them. I'm pretty sure (not sure if I read it, or am inferring it from things I read) that eBay believes that the lure and luster of bidding on auctions and waiting to win an item is rubbing off, and people don't have the "patience" wanting things now (which is the reason BIN's have been popular.) Whether this is true or not, BIN/BO does not provide a "quick" transaction, and also removes the potential of a really "steal" as you are paying the seller's price.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
Topnotchsy said:
flightposite said:
As stated, not only won't eBay ban them, but they are encouraging them. I'm pretty sure (not sure if I read it, or am inferring it from things I read) that eBay believes that the lure and luster of bidding on auctions and waiting to win an item is rubbing off, and people don't have the "patience" wanting things now (which is the reason BIN's have been popular.) Whether this is true or not, BIN/BO does not provide a "quick" transaction, and also removes the potential of a really "steal" as you are paying the seller's price.

That and the fact that most non-collectibles are just some warehouse selling off the same item 100+ times. This is the main reason why the auction style is wearing off. There is no reason to put in a large bid on an item that has 90 more ending within a few hours. Auctions are at their best in the collectibles market because there isn't necessarily an EXACT item coming along.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
I think ebay is catering to their true market. Collectibles make up a very small fraction of what is sold on ebay, both in terms of the number of listings and the dollars they bring in. Their big sellers are in electronics and books/dvds. People who sell those things are not going to sell them at auction. Thus, in order to lure more sellers away from amazon, they needed to give sellers an incentive to use the BIN/BO option.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
nborton said:
Topnotchsy said:
flightposite said:

That and the fact that most non-collectibles are just some warehouse selling off the same item 100+ times. This is the main reason why the auction style is wearing off. There is no reason to put in a large bid on an item that has 90 more ending within a few hours. Auctions are at their best in the collectibles market because there isn't necessarily an EXACT item coming along.
I guess my time spent in the collectible area of the site has skewed my vision of the overall site. That said, eBay became huge (I believe anyway) because of how all of a sudden people could list their "old junk" and actually get a little money for it (and get it out of the house.) I guess at this point most of the volume is probably done by stores and larger organizations though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts