Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Got a new scanner, tell me what you think

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

383astro

Jan 13, 2009
Oklahoma
Didnt have a whole lot of time to play with it, but here is a couple of scans. Tell me what you think these need to look their best. It is a HP scanjet G3110. Thanks

edit: deleted first scans

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
New scanners are always fun! Not that you would make this mistake but never use any type of liquid to clean the scanning surface! Other than that you should be fine and as has been said, you can resize the pics on the host site. That Yount looks fantastic!

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Nice choice on the scanner! Got the same one.

I scan mine on 600 dpi. Then I open the finished image, scale it down to 20%, then upload it to photobucket.

You can manipulate it more directly in photobucket if you need to resize or whatever.

I'm sure there's other tricks, but this works for me.

Here's the result:
05BCBlueAutoZimmerman.jpg

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
This is the same scanner I use. You can use the HP Photosmart Studio, which comes with it, to edit the scans to get them incredibly clear. Even without editing, they still look pretty good.

zep33

Aug 24, 2008
Cape Cod, Mass
autocut said:
Yes, you can "clean up" your scans in photoshop. My scanner gives a dull look.

Original Scan:
phil_rizzuto_original.jpg

Photoshop Clean Up:
phil_rizzuto_final.jpg

That's a huge difference. I only use "Auto Levels" to make them the color they should be. What did you do to make that so crisp?

jdk16

Mar 29, 2011
i got mine at wally world 40 bucks hp deskjet1050
default settings im not a image guru but i think it does pretty good

freddiefreeman.jpg

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
I have that scanner too (G3110). It's decent, although the colors aren't crisp - BGS gold labels appear very pale. I got it for $38 though, so can't really complain too much. I scan at 300dpi, which is relatively quick, and re-size using software. At 600dpi, I find this scanner to be painfully slow.

The only other gripe I have is that it "reflects" the poly sleeve inside BGS holders and creates a streak of light that obscures a small part of the card (as can be seen in the sample scans posted in this thread).

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I think it looks like a really good quality scanner from your first two, hopefully when you resize it they will still come out looking the same quality.

autocut

zep33 said:
autocut said:
Yes, you can "clean up" your scans in photoshop. My scanner gives a dull look.

Original Scan:
phil_rizzuto_original.jpg

Photoshop Clean Up:
phil_rizzuto_final.jpg

That's a huge difference. I only use "Auto Levels" to make them the color they should be. What did you do to make that so crisp?

I do quite a bit, but first thing to do is Auto Color and Auto Contract. That usually gives the original color. Then after you size it down, use Filter > Sharpen.

autocut

cmnkb8 said:
I have that scanner too (G3110). It's decent, although the colors aren't crisp - BGS gold labels appear very pale. I got it for $38 though, so can't really complain too much. I scan at 300dpi, which is relatively quick, and re-size using software. At 600dpi, I find this scanner to be painfully slow.

The only other gripe I have is that it "reflects" the poly sleeve inside BGS holders and creates a streak of light that obscures a small part of the card (as can be seen in the sample scans posted in this thread).

That's what I have and you see the difference Photoshop makes.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
I do all my scans with the lid up now. I love how the black background looks with the slabs.

cartersprings

Aug 7, 2008
MN
Nice! I have the same scanner & love it for the price. One piece of advice I have is to resize your scans on your computer rather than on the photo hosting site. I've found they get blurred when resizing via photobucket.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
I just bought the HP G3110... not as user friendly as I would like, haven't been able to find my go-to settings yet. Hopefully I can figure out how the OP's came out so nicely!

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
Why is there a Pirates patch on the Mathews card?Maybe my memory is failing me but I don't recall him having any association with Pittsburgh.

Members online

Latest posts