Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Got a new scanner, tell me what you think

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
JEA2880 said:
I just bought the HP G3110... not as user friendly as I would like, haven't been able to find my go-to settings yet. Hopefully I can figure out how the OP's came out so nicely!

I find the default HP scanning software that comes bundled with it to be inferior and a PITA to use, so I use the Windows XP scanning program instead. 300DPI, with brightness and contrast set at 0. Scans come out the way they do in the OP. This scanner has trouble scanning foil on cards with dark backgrounds however, and no amount of tweaking has made it better.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
cmnkb8 said:
JEA2880 said:
I just bought the HP G3110... not as user friendly as I would like, haven't been able to find my go-to settings yet. Hopefully I can figure out how the OP's came out so nicely!

I find the default HP scanning software that comes bundled with it to be inferior and a PITA to use, so I use the Windows XP scanning program instead. 300DPI, with brightness and contrast set at 0. Scans come out the way they do in the OP. This scanner has trouble scanning foil on cards with dark backgrounds however, and no amount of tweaking has made it better.

Good to know, thanks for the advice. Yeah, the HP program really sucks and was driving me crazy last night.

The biggest issue for me so far is that all of my scans show the top of the scanner bed. Ordinarily this wouldn't be a problem, except for some unknown reason, there are these random sliders that show up in the background of all of my scans. It's really aggravating and I haven't figured out how to get rid of it. I suppose I can put a blank sheet of white paper behind whatever I'm scanning but it's really stupid that I'd have to do that. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, is it fixable?

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
JEA2880 said:
cmnkb8 said:
JEA2880 said:

Good to know, thanks for the advice. Yeah, the HP program really sucks and was driving me crazy last night.

The biggest issue for me so far is that all of my scans show the top of the scanner bed. Ordinarily this wouldn't be a problem, except for some unknown reason, there are these random sliders that show up in the background of all of my scans. It's really aggravating and I haven't figured out how to get rid of it. I suppose I can put a blank sheet of white paper behind whatever I'm scanning but it's really stupid that I'd have to do that. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, is it fixable?

I did tape a sheet of white paper over the slide scanner to fix that problem. Unfortunately, that is the only remedy if you need to scan with the lid closed. Scanning with the lid open also alleviates the problem (and provides a nifty black background for light bordered cards).

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
cmnkb8 said:
JEA2880 said:
cmnkb8 said:
JEA2880 said:

I did tape a sheet of white paper over the slide scanner to fix that problem. Unfortunately, that is the only remedy if you need to scan with the lid closed. Scanning with the lid open also alleviates the problem (and provides a nifty black background for light bordered cards).

Agreed. I couldn't figure out what to do with that either. It should be removable. It's for scanning slides or something. I just put a piece of paper over it before too. But now I just scan with the lid up and the room dark. Looks much better anyway.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
RZimm11 said:
cmnkb8 said:
JEA2880 said:
cmnkb8 said:
JEA2880 said:

Agreed. I couldn't figure out what to do with that either. It should be removable. It's for scanning slides or something. I just put a piece of paper over it before too. But now I just scan with the lid up and the room dark. Looks much better anyway.

Good to know, thanks guys.

383astro

Jan 13, 2009
Oklahoma
hofmichael said:
Why is there a Pirates patch on the Mathews card?Maybe my memory is failing me but I don't recall him having any association with Pittsburgh.

It is part of the tomahawk like in this pic.

826s.jpg

383astro

Jan 13, 2009
Oklahoma
so what you all think? these are with no magentics. A couple post up are the scans in the magnetics. Which one is better?

scan0005.jpg

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Can anyone recommend a scanner that is perfectly flat across the top, like a copier, instead of the glass being slightly recessed like most scanners? Preferably not a scan/fax/print combo.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
383astro said:
couple more

scan0008.jpg

scan0010.jpg

scan0011.jpg

Nice cards! My only suggestion would be to scan with a bit of a border around the card, rather than trying to do a "full bleed" scan. I've always thought that looks best, plus you don't cut off any of the card's edges.

To scan the card more squarely, what I do is scan it in a penny sleeve. The ones that I have (Ultra Pro) are just a bit long so I can put it with the top edge against the edge of the scanning surface and it'll be square.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
Has anyone used BOTH the HP 3110 and the Canon 5600F? Or a better option for $200 or less?

I'm mostly concerned about the scan quality, and then the ease of use of the included software. I have a Mac and Adobe CS4, so I don't need the software for editing, dust, etc. Just easy, stable, reliable, etc.

Opinions?

Members online

Latest posts