Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nyger Morgan's comments and motivation...

Do comments like those by Nyger Morgan really cause the opposition to play better?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I've always had a hard time believing that something like a player's comments (in this case Nyger Morgan) could really make a difference to players playing for the chance to go to the World Series. Seems to me that they have all the motivation that they could need and are already playing as hard as they can. Am I underestimating the role of human emotion?

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
At this stage of the season an opposing players words does not motivate a team or player to perform better. The post season is what every team and player (outside of some players from Boston) strives to reach. There is already enough on the line for them to be plenty motivated

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
I've always had a hard time believing that something like a player's comments (in this case Nyger Morgan) could really make a difference to players playing for the chance to go to the World Series. Seems to me that they have all the motivation that they could need and are already playing as hard as they can. Am I underestimating the role of human emotion?

You are dramatically underestimating the role of human emotion. I'm not saying this particular case (pujols v.morgan) is a great example; but coaches and managers have been using emotion to motivate forever for good reason.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
seitas said:
Topnotchsy said:

You are dramatically underestimating the role of human emotion. I'm not saying this particular case (pujols v.morgan) is a great example; but coaches and managers have been using emotion to motivate forever for good reason.

I'm not saying that emotion does not play a role, but I've spent too much time studying behavioral economics to go for that. The fact that coaches think it helps definitely does not convince me that it does. Coaches, players and sports fans have long believed in hot streaks, yet the evidence is that the concept is a myth (while it is harder to calculate in baseball, a fabulous study about basketball players which shows that a player who hits a shot is actually slightly less likely to hit his next shot than a player who has missed a previous shot is in the link below.)

http://www.psych.cornell.edu/sec/pubPeo ... versky.pdf

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
My opinion has always been that if you need someone to talk trash to motivate you, something is wrong. Playing to get to the World Series should be more than enough.

On a side note, it is so sweet to see "Alberta" completely own Nyjer and the Brewers. I wonder what that clown has to say now? "Alberta" let his game do the talking, while Nyjer was so good that he sat vs lefties. Just terrific.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I'm 100% positive it did, because last night on the radio broadcast after the game Skip was being interviewed and he thanked Nyjer for making well timed comments to fuel the Cardinals.

Yadi's gestures after getting a hit throughout the entire playoffs, doing the crybaby thing, and Albery busting out the Monster deal, all of that tells me the comments really did motivate them. And Skip saying it just adds proof.

CryingBirds.jpg

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Not at all.

The Cardinals won because they demolished some horrific Brewers pitching and parlayed some awful defense into a bunch of runs.

They'd have won just the same if Morgan had never tweeted. It's only being talked about because it fits the narrative.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
I don't think Morgan's comments made the Cardinals play harder. As everyone has already said, they were going to give it their all anyway. However, something was going to go on the black board as motivation, why would you want what you said to be it?

Latest posts