Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2012 marquee is now museum collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Maybe I missed it but topps is re naming marquee to museum collection.

~ I'm sure this will make it phenomenal.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I'd like to see a more original moniker.
$(KGrHqZ,!lgE5unmG,HCBOvv2udi0w~~60_12.JPG
$(KGrHqN,!jEE6fh-hCNNBOuv18FFg!~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqN,!hkE2fE,e9ppBNqsy0Y-L!~~_12.JPG
$(KGrHqQOKo8E6R-9zSKoBOvtlhq5Bw~~60_12.JPG

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I guess that means Museum Collection autos will be more plentiful. Which would be OK with me.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
hofmichael said:
Are we sure that it will be the new Marquee?Here is images released by Topps for 2012 Marquee.The Mays/Aaron is the same as Museum Collection but the base cards are different.
http://toppsguy.wordpress.com/2011/10/1 ... -pictures/

Looks to me like Marquee has been re-branded, and was one and done. It wouldn't make sense to have two products with virtually identical designs with a different name, but then again, this is Topps.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
cmnkb8 said:
hofmichael said:
Are we sure that it will be the new Marquee?Here is images released by Topps for 2012 Marquee.The Mays/Aaron is the same as Museum Collection but the base cards are different.

Looks to me like Marquee has been re-branded, and was one and done. It wouldn't make sense to have two products with virtually identical designs with a different name, but then again, this is Topps.
I am not saying they are stand alone brands but perhaps a set within a set.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
hofmichael said:
cmnkb8 said:
hofmichael said:

Since Topps released promo materials for a "Museum Collection" product line with almost the same images, I doubt that it would be a separate set within the Marquee line, but rather a replacement for marquee.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Where is the 12 page thread where everyone is outraged that Topps stole another company's name?

If you're going to be stupid irrational ********, you better at least be consistent

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
cmnkb8 said:
hofmichael said:
cmnkb8 said:
hofmichael said:

Since Topps released promo materials for a "Museum Collection" product line with almost the same images, I doubt that it would be a separate set within the Marquee line, but rather a replacement for marquee.
Probrobly for the better I would assume.Marquee was not well received.It is so hard to make a good high end release in baseball becuase the rookies do not carry the weight they do in other sports and every HOF'er has signed so much that the value of their autographs is watered down now.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
I hope Topps will actually pick some desirable players to put into the set this time instead of loading it up with the usual suspects (Angel Pagan, Tyson Ross, Brett Anderson, Jeremy Jeffress et al) and only putting a few HOF'ers in between.

I do like the clean design though, as I think it's an improvement over 2011 Marquee, especially the new black background/silver signature Museum Collection Autos. I'll await the checklist before making a decision to order (crossing my fingers that there won't be a "bait and switch"... er, I mean "subject to change" issue).

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
cmnkb8 said:
I hope Topps will actually pick some desirable players to put into the set this time instead of loading it up with the usual suspects (Angel Pagan, Tyson Ross, Brett Anderson, Jeremy Jeffress et al) and only putting a few HOF'ers in between.

I do like the clean design though, as I think it's an improvement over 2011 Marquee, especially the new black background/silver signature Museum Collection Autos. I'll await the checklist before making a decision to order (crossing my fingers that there won't be a "bait and switch"... er, I mean "subject to change" issue).
The addition of Mays autographs and Clemente memorabilia will definately help the value in the product.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
Where is the 12 page thread where everyone is outraged that Topps stole another company's name?

If you're going to be stupid irrational ********, you better at least be consistent
Hey now, logic never gets you anywhere on the internet.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
JoshHamilton said:

We can always count on you... :lol:

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
hofmichael said:
Probrobly for the better I would assume.Marquee was not well received.It is so hard to make a good high end release in baseball becuase the rookies do not carry the weight they do in other sports and every HOF'er has signed so much that the value of their autographs is watered down now.
It's hard to make a good high-end release when you load 80% of the checklist with non-rookie, non-legend, non-HOF scrubs.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
ChasHawk said:
hofmichael said:
It's hard to make a good high-end release when you load 80% of the checklist with non-rookie, non-legend, non-HOF scrubs.

Yes this makes good sense although I don't mind 'scrubs' too much LOL. Topps can't use *all the same players* in all their higher-end sets as the hobby is already flooded with the same players - rookies or otherwise. The best solution seems to be to cut down on the number of their higher-end offerings as the market's already saturated with them. This way Topps could offer an appropriate checklist for the price point without flooding the hobby even more.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
uniquebaseballcards said:
ChasHawk said:
hofmichael said:
Yes this makes good sense although I don't mind 'scrubs' too much LOL. Topps can't use *all the same players* in all their higher-end sets as the hobby is already flooded with the same players - rookies or otherwise. The best solution seems to be to cut down on the number of their higher-end offerings as the market's already saturated with them. This way Topps could offer an appropriate checklist for the price point without flooding the hobby even more.
I agree, yet when they only had 1 high-end set, it was still bad... :lol:

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
ChasHawk said:
ChasHawk said:
hofmichael said:
Who should they use that would justify a $200 per box price?Koufax,Mays and Aaron are the only guys that would come close to bringing you value.The next tier down would be Ripken,Arod and Pujols.The majority of HOF'ers are $40-$50 autos with some like Morgan,Gossage and Dawson(not taking a shot here) being $15-$30.

The baseball market is much different than the other sports.In other sports the rookies carry the high end products.It doesn't work in baseball.I would love to read some ideas on how to make it work.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
hofmichael said:
ChasHawk said:
ChasHawk said:
hofmichael said:
Who should they use that would justify a $200 per box price?Koufax,Mays and Aaron are the only guys that would come close to bringing you value.The next tier down would be Ripken,Arod and Pujols.The majority of HOF'ers are $40-$50 autos with some like Morgan,Gossage and Dawson(not taking a shot here) being $15-$30.

The baseball market is much different than the other sports.In other sports the rookies carry the high end products.It doesn't work in baseball.I would love to read some ideas on how to make it work.
I don't claim to be a marketing guru or anything, but not including 799 Angel Pagan autos in every product is a good start.

Members online

Latest posts