Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ryan Madson to the Cincy Reds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Boy oh boy, did Ruben Amaro ever swing and miss at predicting the closer market.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Another nice move by the Reds. The key to their season will be Latos. If he wins 15, they will be in the hunt with STL and MIL all year.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
phillyfan0417 said:
braden said:
Boy oh boy, did Ruben Amaro ever swing and miss at predicting the closer market.

You cant compare Madson and Pap.

One is elite and one has one year of successful closing behind him...

I'm not comparing them. I'm saying Amaro very clearly overpaid in dollars and years by jumping on Papelbon early. There's zero doubt about that. (Ignoring the fact that virtually every long-term contract to a reliever is a disaster).

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
braden said:
phillyfan0417 said:
braden said:

I'm not comparing them. I'm saying Amaro very clearly overpaid in dollars and years by jumping on Papelbon early. There's zero doubt about that. (Ignoring the fact that virtually every long-term contract to a reliever is a disaster).

If he doesnt sign him the market develops differently. Amaro has been pretty aggressive from the start but if he waits, madson gets a bigger contract IMO. Madson in no way is an elite closer since he was good last year but was terrible in the role, even if it was short term, in the seasons prior. Also, pap is still younger than madson and is among the best few in baseball.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
phillyfan0417 said:
braden said:
phillyfan0417 said:
braden said:

If he doesnt sign him the market develops differently. Amaro has been pretty aggressive from the start but if he waits, madson gets a bigger contract IMO. Madson in no way is an elite closer since he was good last year but was terrible in the role, even if it was short term, in the seasons prior. Also, pap is still younger than madson and is among the best few in baseball.

Disagree. I think Amaro misjudged the number of teams looking to spend big money and years on a closer. Teams seem to be wising up to the fact that a four+ year deal on a guy that provides a max of 80 innings is borderline insanity. I don't think there's a person alive who thinks the Phillies did well on the Papelbon deal. Madson may not be on Papelbon's level but paying him 8.5MM for one year is insanely more attractive than four years, $50MM.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
braden said:
phillyfan0417 said:
braden said:
phillyfan0417 said:
braden said:

Disagree. I think Amaro misjudged the number of teams looking to spend big money and years on a closer. Teams seem to be wising up to the fact that a four+ year deal on a guy that provides a max of 80 innings is borderline insanity. I don't think there's a person alive who thinks the Phillies did well on the Papelbon deal. Madson may not be on Papelbon's level but paying him 8.5MM for one year is insanely more attractive than four years, $50MM.

Time will tell. I was never comfortable with Madson as the closer and having someone of the caliber of our new closer makes me feel loads better. Could blow up in the teams face but they certainly seem to be able to afford mistakes these days.

Latest posts