Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Altered Goodwin Presidential Masterpiece?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
I was doing a search for any newly listed Goodwin Presidential Masterpieces and noticed the Thomas Jefferson 3/10 was up. The seller listed it as a 1/1 because Jefferson was the 3rd President. The #3 looks a little off. Kinda looks like they altered another number by writing over the top of it so they could sell for more since it was 3/10. It could just be a minor mistake by the person who hand wrote the serial numbers.

Does this look altered?
scan0030-7.jpg

Here is the James K Polk 3/10.....
polkback.jpg

And the Theodore Roosevelt 3/10.....
$(KGrHqFHJCUE63(+t4!hBO5iCP3mV!~~60_12.JPG

Anyone else have a 3/10?? Both of mine are 6/10 and 7/10....maybe mwheeler?

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Aren't these signed in permanent marker? If it were easy to wipe off the number why not wipe it off again? Obviously it looks bad and if you were really trying to make it look original you would try again; right?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
jbhofmann said:
Not sure what number besides 1/10 it would have been. Looks to me like the "writer" just goofed.
Not an expert, but I would lean in this direction as well based if all we have to go by is the handwriting.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
yeah, the 3 looks bad, but what other number can you make a 3 from? And like GC stated if you erased it and wrote it again and it looked that bad, wouldn't you just erase it again and try to make it look decent?

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
My theory was that:

1. It's real
2. The "serial-number-er" for UD must have not been paying attention and forgot that he did "2/10" already and quickly tried to make it look like a "3". That's why it looks funny.

Totally legit card and serial number IMO.

Messier2 said:
My theory was that:

1. It's real
2. The "serial-number-er" for UD must have not been paying attention and forgot that he did "2/10" already and quickly tried to make it look like a "3". That's why it looks funny.

I agree.

If you were going to change the number anyway, why not make it 1/10???

xcantgobackx

Aug 20, 2008
Jersey Shore
Messier2 said:
My theory was that:

1. It's real

This. That looks nothing like an altered number. More like a goofed number/handwriting error.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR said:
Messier2 said:
My theory was that:

1. It's real

I agree.

This is what I was thinking too. You can see the ink "doubled" over when the 3 is made, so it looks like it's just a sloppy 3. So if a number was written over, you would be able to tell due to the way the marker "tracks" over it's self. Anyone familiar with sharpie markers should know what I'm talking about. All the strokes in the number appear fluid although it is a pretty sloppy 3.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR said:
Messier2 said:
My theory was that:

1. It's real

I agree.

Pretty sure every 1/10 in that set is the Gold Boarder card, therefore if you alter it and make it a 1/10 and its not the gold boarder, then it screams 100% altered.

Musial Collector said:
[quote="AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR":2rjoa4u9]
Messier2 said:
My theory was that:

1. It's real

I agree.

Pretty sure every 1/10 in that set is the Gold Boarder card, therefore if you alter it and make it a 1/10 and its not the gold boarder, then it screams 100% altered.[/quote:2rjoa4u9]

There is a marker for that too! :shock: :eek:

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Does not look Altered to me. Every night at work I have to write on things numbered 1through 50 in groups of 5 sets of 50, and almost every night as I'm writing them, I lose where I'm at, and have some that are wrote over. But I never lose sight of the numbering in the first 5 or so it is higher up the number line. But also all the Groups I do the numbers do not look the same from the 1 to 50 either.
It just looks like someone may have just made a mistake in write the number or was getting a hand cramp from all the writing they do with the other cards.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
Gee.....what number can you make a 3 from? Try an 8.

It looks like someone wiped off part of an 8 and made a screwy looking 3.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
schmidtfan20 said:
why not just ask Jared Kelly?

Kevin

He didn't number them. Upper Deck did after he painted them. They had a video of them previewing Goodwin. The guy on the video said that Jared painted one of each President with a gold border. Those were going to be numbered 1/10.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Looks legit to me. Honestly, who cares about the numbering on these pieces of artwork?

By the way, I really don't like hand-numbered cards, I prefer the machine -stamped ones. They look more legitimate.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts