Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Roberto Alomar Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Here's a couple more - the Authentic Images Team Gold issues from 1998.

These things are fairly mysterious. No info about them on TCDB, Baseballcardpedia, or Beckett. But they do in fact exist. And there are two versions for each of the 11 players in the checklist.

First, there's a "Gold Signature" card which is about 3" x 5" and printed on transparent plastic cel stock. It comes in a 3" x 5" lucite holder with 4 screws, which means the screws go through 4 holes in the card. The "Gold Signature" part is a 24K gold leaf facsimile signature on the front of the card. They are serial numbered to 1000.

1998 Authentic Images Gold Signature #MLB-S12-98 SN 1000.jpg

I also found a variation of this card without the gold signature, but curiously, it still has a serial number.

1998 Authentic Images Gold Signature #MLB-S12-98 SN 1000 No Signature.jpg

Second, there's a "Gold Metal" card. This card is a thin metal card with a ghostly image of the player and a textured background, apparently also printed with a 24K gold coating. This image looks great in hand but it scans like ****. The metal card itself is the standard 2.5" x 3.5" size, but it comes in a 3.5" x 5.75" lucite holder. So the space between the border of the card and the edges of the holder is filled with a thin cardboard piece, printed with the Authentic Images logo and a baseball glove background. This cardboard pieces also has 4 holes for the 4 lucite holder screws to pass through. Both the card and the cardboard piece are blank back...so the "back" of this "card" is actually another thin cardboard piece printed with stats etc. I've had the two "Gold Signature" cards for a while, but had never seen the "Gold Metal" card for sale until last week...when I found it on frickin' Amazon of all places.

1998 Authentic Images Gold Metal #MLB-12-98 SN 1000.jpg

By the way, the checklist for both sets is Bonds, Griffey, Gwynn, Rodriguez, Ripken, Alomar, Thomas, Maddux, Clemens, Piazza, McGwire.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
So a 1988 Leaf PSA 10 just sold for over $600. Ummmm. What the f*ck is wrong with people? Who the hell bought this, and why? For the love of god.

tenor.gif

Terrible... just terrible. We've been outnumbered boys, the stupids have taken over the hobby!!

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Randumb Poast!

So I scanned a few more cards this evening, in the midst of several beers, and along the way I realized I completed scan #2000. Which means I'm nearing halfway in my quest to scan the entire Robbie Alomar PC.

I started said quest in May of last year, so at this rate I should be finished sometime around Christmas 2022. Then, I'll just have to design a website, upload all images, and voila! So I'm thinking that'll be ready sometime 2024.

Anyway, I don't know which one was the actual #2000. So for argument's sake let's say this was the one, the 1996 Pinnacle Summit Positions Executive Proof SN XXXX/1500. Love me some 90's Executive Proofs baby :)

1996 Pinnacle Summit Positions Executive Proof #2.jpg

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Oh, and by the way, I see the 2021 Panini Prizm checklist has finally been released. And homeboy is not in it. I repeat, NOT in this silly ass set. A silly ass set which has 43 parallels by my count. A set which would have been like catnip to me.

Praise Jesus.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Got two nice new pickups today in the mail. One is a 1999 UD Bronze Exclusives /100, and the other is this one, the 2002 Fleer Triple Crown Red parallel, numbered to the # of home runs the player hit the year before. Which in this case was 20.2002 Fleer Triple Crown Red #26 SN 20.jpg

Here are the other cards in the run - base, blue, and green.

2002 Fleer Triple Crown #26.jpg
2002 Fleer Triple Crown Blue #26 SN 100.jpg
2002 Fleer Triple Crown Green #26 SN 336.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Just for the hell of it. 1998 Pinnacle Inside Stand Up Guys Sample cards. Robbie was included in two cards from this set, #14 and #15.

These things had cuts in the middle and were supposed to slide together - the AB cards crossed with the CD cards - so they would form a vertical stand with one player viewable from each section of the cross.

Wonder why there are so few PSA10 examples for sale now?

1998 Pinnacle Inside Stand Up Guys Sample #14AB.jpg1998 Pinnacle Inside Stand Up Guys Sample #14CD.jpg

1998 Pinnacle Inside Stand Up Guys Sample #15AB.jpg1998 Pinnacle Inside Stand Up Guys Sample #15CD.jpg

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Still working on the scanning project...up to 2056 cards scanned. I finished Pinnacle tonight.

Here's scans of the 1992 Pinnacle base card, and the 1992 Pinnacle promo card. I had to buy a bunch of dealer promo kits to get the promo, and did so not knowing if there were actually any differences between the base and promo. Turns out there are, but they are minute. The "TM" text at two places on the front is slightly smaller in the promo version. Also, the players' position is slightly to the right of the player's picture frame, whereas on the base card the text is left justified to match the picture frame. Base card is first, followed by the promo.

1992 Pinnacle #45.jpg
1992 Pinnacle Promo #45.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Just for the hell of it, two uncut sheets from 1989 Padres Magazine.

I love magazine cards. They're like a relic of a bygone era. I love them to the point that I don't just collect the cards, but I also like to pick up the full uncut sheets. And among those uncut sheets, there are a select few that elevate my love to a majestic pinnacle.

@JVHaste will undoubtedly reply with the perfect meme to capture that sentiment :)

I like the fact that they were sponsored by an LCS, which, sadly, no longer exists. I also like that San Diego Sports Collectibles put the thought into these things to add the words "Collect Baseball Cards. It's Fun!". And they also wrote "These cards come to you with good wishes from your friends at San Diego Sports Collectibles".

Sure, it's advertising. But the tone of it, and the thought behind it, is kind of thing I just don't see anymore in this internet age.

In a related note, I was never able to find these Padres Magazine cards when I was a kid in the early 90's, trying to complete my Robbie Alomar checklist. I lived in Denver, so we didn't exactly see a flurry of insert cards from Padres programs. Years later (2015?), after I picked up the collection again, it occurred to me to call San Diego Sports Collectibles directly and ask if they had any left over. At that time they were still in business, and the guy who answered said yep, he sure did. And he remembered fondly the days when they sponsored those cards in the Padres programs. How cool is that?

1989 Padres Magazine #9 Uncut Sheet.jpg

1989 Padres Magazine #14 Uncut Sheet.jpg

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Just for the hell of it, two uncut sheets from 1989 Padres Magazine.

I love magazine cards. They're like a relic of a bygone era. I love them to the point that I don't just collect the cards, but I also like to pick up the full uncut sheets. And among those uncut sheets, there are a select few that elevate my love to a majestic pinnacle.

@JVHaste will undoubtedly reply with the perfect meme to capture that sentiment :)

I like the fact that they were sponsored by an LCS, which, sadly, no longer exists. I also like that San Diego Sports Collectibles put the thought into these things to add the words "Collect Baseball Cards. It's Fun!". And they also wrote "These cards come to you with good wishes from your friends at San Diego Sports Collectibles".

Sure, it's advertising. But the tone of it, and the thought behind it, is kind of thing I just don't see anymore in this internet age.

In a related note, I was never able to find these Padres Magazine cards when I was a kid in the early 90's, trying to complete my Robbie Alomar checklist. I lived in Denver, so we didn't exactly see a flurry of insert cards from Padres programs. Years later (2015?), after I picked up the collection again, it occurred to me to call San Diego Sports Collectibles directly and ask if they had any left over. At that time they were still in business, and the guy who answered said yep, he sure did. And he remembered fondly the days when they sponsored those cards in the Padres programs. How cool is that?

View attachment 311538

View attachment 311539
Great set and I also love that kind of stuff. I have the full set in single form, maybe in sheets and likely in the magazines too. Steve Garvey was in that set as part of the Flashback subset.

I am not sure if I ever visited their shop when I was in San Diego. That was a period in my collecting life when I was almost completely retired momentarily. I left for Navy bootcamp in November of 1987 and was in Orlando, FL for a little more than a year. I do remember buying cards there. I even went to Boardwalk and Baseball, somehow luckily catching the very brief period the place was even open. It shut down sometime in 1988 if I recall. From there, I went to CT during the winter. I didn't have a car, so I barely ever left base. I was only there for Submarine School, then it was off to San Diego for Sonar School. I think though by the time I got there, cards had faded behind trying to party and have fun. I remember getting some cards when I would go home for leave and my mom would pick up things here and there that would greet me, but by 1990 I was stationed on a sub out of Hawaii and there was neither the time nor the space to collect baseball cards. Luckily (or is it unfortunately???) a friend reintroduced me a few months before I was getting out in late 1993 and that rekindled a passion that has pretty much taken over my life since!

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Good story man, thanks for posting that. I never served, but respect those who did.

I never made it to SDSC in person either. But I do have family down there, including an uncle who was a Navy F14 pilot, and during one visit I stopped in a card store I found on google. I forget how we figured it out, but I had bought cards from the guy behind the counter before. Including my uncut strip of Bleachers 1992 Prism.

Overall I have no use for LA, but I like San Diego. Been there many times. And my new favorite band - The Beat Farmers - were from there. Country Dick Lives...

Great set and I also love that kind of stuff. I have the full set in single form, maybe in sheets and likely in the magazines too. Steve Garvey was in that set as part of the Flashback subset.

I am not sure if I ever visited their shop when I was in San Diego. That was a period in my collecting life when I was almost completely retired momentarily. I left for Navy bootcamp in November of 1987 and was in Orlando, FL for a little more than a year. I do remember buying cards there. I even went to Boardwalk and Baseball, somehow luckily catching the very brief period the place was even open. It shut down sometime in 1988 if I recall. From there, I went to CT during the winter. I didn't have a car, so I barely ever left base. I was only there for Submarine School, then it was off to San Diego for Sonar School. I think though by the time I got there, cards had faded behind trying to party and have fun. I remember getting some cards when I would go home for leave and my mom would pick up things here and there that would greet me, but by 1990 I was stationed on a sub out of Hawaii and there was neither the time nor the space to collect baseball cards. Luckily (or is it unfortunately???) a friend reintroduced me a few months before I was getting out in late 1993 and that rekindled a passion that has pretty much taken over my life since!

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Yes! The only thing that I'd like more is a new Pacific parallel.

Oh wait, I just bought one. When it arrives it will be the most bonerrific post ever. In the meantime, enjoy the best video in the history of the internet...and I'm not really exaggerating. Real Ultimate Power.

That was amazing. I feel like being less of a loser and more of a ninja again. Also a fan of the cult-like pyramids and action ******(tm) that aren't too curved. Honestly it felt like one of my personas might have made that video. :unsure:

Congrats on the pickups btw!! :)

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Well here's that Pacific parallel I mentioned - the 1998 Aurora Pennant Fever Platinum Blue /100. I am pumped to get this one in hand, since it's one of the earliest Pacific parallels I'm missing. And, I REALLY like the design of this card. Paid a bit more than I thought I should, but not excessive.

Now just missing that dang copper one, of which only 20 copies exist.

I also included pics of the rest of my run, the gold, red (retail), and silver /250.

1998 Pacific Aurora Pennant Fever Platinum Blue #28 SN 100.jpg

1998 Pacific Aurora Pennant Fever #28.jpg

1998 Pacific Aurora Pennant Fever Red #28.jpg

1998 Pacific Aurora Pennant Fever Silver #28 SN 250.jpg

Last edited:

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
What I like about Pacific the best is card backs.... they are given equal effort as the front and is a unique card in itself. Compare that with a lot of the Topps shitfoolery where they recycle photos and other lazy stuff on the Bside.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I never really thought about that. But I think you're right. Pacific did put a lot of effort into the card backs. I miss Pacific.

Sometimes Topps does a pretty weak job on the backs. Especially when it's just "Congratulations, you have received a *** card of *** player" or whatever. Other companies do/did this too and it was just as lame.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Sometimes Topps does a pretty weak job on the backs. Especially when it's just "Congratulations, you have received a *** card of *** player" or whatever.
This is the absolute worst. I especially hate this lame congrats when its on a plain white jersey card and not even an auto or something special. If I recall correctly Topps even did the "congrats" thing on redemptions for a while!

Members online