Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Roberto Alomar Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mooshoo

Aug 22, 2017
Looks like the collection is coming along nicely Banjar.

I just picked up a 1989 Star Alomar Brothers Promo autograph that I never knew existed until I read this thread. I've only been collecting autographed cards of his - i'm too lazy to collect everything like banjar does haha. I feel like right after Alomar got banned, they stopped producing his autographed cards for the most part (except Leaf). In a way, it's a bit of a relief haha.

I also agree that I hate most of the backs of cards that just say congrats...so lazy.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Thanks! How are things on your end? Would be awesome to see some of your favorites. Glad you found that auto'd promo card.

Speaking of the the 1989 Star Alomar Brothers set, I just found the glossy promo card with Sandy Jr, so that completed the entire run. I really like that issue, it's a step back in time to a long bygone era.

I've also noticed that even though production of Robbie cards is down, prices are higher than ever. I do not understand this.

Looks like the collection is coming along nicely Banjar.

I just picked up a 1989 Star Alomar Brothers Promo autograph that I never knew existed until I read this thread. I've only been collecting autographed cards of his - i'm too lazy to collect everything like banjar does haha. I feel like right after Alomar got banned, they stopped producing his autographed cards for the most part (except Leaf). In a way, it's a bit of a relief haha.

I also agree that I hate most of the backs of cards that just say congrats...so lazy.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
The scanning project is coming along, more or less. I didn't scan any for a couple months, but am doing more lately. Here are a couple R&N China porcelain Topps reprint cards. I also have the 1999 Topps but haven't scanned that one yet.

These are interesting to me partly because the checklists are so mysterious. I haven't found a definitive list of what sets were produced in what year, or what players were in each set. So when they appear, I just try to snag them. I've managed to deduce that the 1993 Topps reprint was actually made in 1993, but the 1988 reprint was made in 1995.

1995 R&N China Porcelain #NNO SN 1000.jpg
1993 R&N China #NNO SN 5000.jpg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Thanks! I overpaid a bit for it, but not by much. Really glad to add one bona fide white whale to the collection this year. How's the Wakefield universe treating you these days?

I haven't been on site a ton lately, just saw the certified rainbow!!!!! CONGRATS that's major!

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
One small set of scans before I turn in tonight. The 1995 Topps Complete Rainbow! Which consists of the base issue and the Cyberstats parallel. I liked the Cyberstats idea. And every time I see this card I wonder what could have been with the 1994 Expos if that damn season hadn't been cut short. That was a killer team. Also, this issue has Robbie's ultimate "Joe Cool" photo.

1995 Topps #438.jpg
1995 Topps Cyberstats #234.jpg

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
One small set of scans before I turn in tonight. The 1995 Topps Complete Rainbow! Which consists of the base issue and the Cyberstats parallel. I liked the Cyberstats idea. And every time I see this card I wonder what could have been with the 1994 Expos if that damn season hadn't been cut short. That was a killer team. Also, this issue has Robbie's ultimate "Joe Cool" photo.

View attachment 316705
View attachment 316706
Very cool photo. It looks a lot like Russell Wilson before he bulked up.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Thanks! I overpaid a bit for it, but not by much. Really glad to add one bona fide white whale to the collection this year. How's the Wakefield universe treating you these days?

Sloooooooow, I think I only added one card from his playing days, maybe two I'd have to check. Added some new stuff, this year's T206 release was neat but it was disappointing how little of it seemed to surface, but a cool set and I've got some to chase down now

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Some friends here on FCB are deeply wary of posting about incoming cards before they've actually arrived in-hand. But I'm here to buck that convention. Buck it, I say. :)

I bought these two off the dreaded COMC recently. Just had to have them. Shipping is better, but well, still pretty bad. At least it's ~10 day shipping rather than the many month sh!tshow that was 2020 and most of 2021.

And I'm confident I'm gonna get them!

Roberto-Alomar.jpg
Roberto-Alomar2.jpg

Roberto-Alomar-(Bat).jpg
Roberto-Alomar-(Bat)2.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
You are a bit safer with COMC I think, but the USPS could still lose their package. They are good at that type of thing these days!! Good luck. I just had a COMC win via ebay shipment come fairly quick for COMC (slow compared to other ebay sellers), but when I ended up winning a dozen or more additional cards at $5 + 50 cents per, and they wanted $11.99 to ship my package, I decided to move them to my portfolio and risk the shipping direct. That is a huge turnaround from a year ago when I swore up and down I'd never buy from them again!

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Yeah. My vitriol toward COMC has worn off a bit. But I'm only buying stuff from them if I just have to have it. I know the two cards above are no great shakes, but I'm a little weird and those cards are gold to me. I'm still holding off on other stuff I see there, and even paying more to get the same off Ebay if I can. I'm still pissed at them...and although their shipping time is much better, it's still inexcusably slow.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Here's a few scans from recent pickups...

2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Chicago Sun Times Stamp /5. I tried to wean myself off these cards after acquiring one stamp from each of the early 2000's shows attended by DLP, but just can't seem to kick the habit.
2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Chicago Sun Times Show Stamp #11 SN 5.jpg

2004 Leaf Exhibits Truly Yours Left. If you want to seem some of the original Exhibits cards from the 1920's - 1960's that this set was based off, a few TCDB members have posted some. Interesting to scroll through.
2004 Leaf Exhibits 1939-46 Truly Yours Right #40 SN 46.jpg

1997 Donruss Armed And Dangerous Executive Proof. Love me some late 90's Donruss/Leaf Executive Proofs.
1997 Donruss Armed And Dangerous Executive Proof #14.jpg

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Sloooooooow, I think I only added one card from his playing days, maybe two I'd have to check. Added some new stuff, this year's T206 release was neat but it was disappointing how little of it seemed to surface, but a cool set and I've got some to chase down now
Same boat with the Erstad. Very few singles available.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Well, I finally did it. I finished scanning the front and back of all 4,638 Alomar cards in my collection. I embarked on this project on May 10 2020 (yes a covid project) and finished two and a half years later on October 24 2022. After 9,276 scans, I'd say my HP Officejet 4652 has held up pretty well.

So now what? I have ambitions of creating a website to showcase this collection. Although I already uploaded bunch of them to TCDB, I still want to make my own website. I admit it's a vanity project. But I've always liked well done player collector websites, like the Frank Thomas one by @patrick182. I just have to decide on a web hosting service, and design the site layout. Maybe in another year it will be done.

In the meantime, can you guys point me to some good player collector websites, so I can get some ideas?

Here are a couple recent pickups...

2004 Donruss World Series Signature Trios /25. Three HOF'ers on one card. Not bad!

2004 Donruss World Series Signature Trios #ST-8 SN 25.jpg

2000 Upper Deck Legends Commemorative Collection /100. For a print run of 100 this one had been eluding me for a surprisingly long time. Then two of them appeared for sale in one week. Go figure.

2000 Upper Deck Legends Commemorative Collection #40 SN 100.jpg

Last edited:

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Well, I finally did it. I finished scanning the front and back of all 4,638 Alomar cards in my collection. I embarked on this project on May 10 2020 (yes a covid project) and finished two and a half years later on October 24 2022. After 9,276 scans, I'd say my HP Officejet 4652 has held up pretty well.

So now what? I have ambitions of creating a website to showcase this collection. Although I already uploaded bunch of them to TCDB, I still want to make my own website. I admit it's a vanity project. But I've always liked well done player collector websites, like the Frank Thomas one by @patrick182. I just have to decide on a web hosting service, and design the site layout. Maybe in another year it will be done.

In the meantime, can you guys point me to some good player collector websites, so I can get some ideas?

2004 Donruss World Series Signature Trios /25. Three HOF'ers on one card. Not bad!

View attachment 343303

2000 Upper Deck Legends Commemorative Collection /100. For a print run of 100 this one had been eluding me for a surprisingly long time. Then two of them appeared for sale in one week. Go figure.

View attachment 343304
ready for another project?
inserts.jpg

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008

View attachment 343303

View attachment 343304
There are a few collector sites linked from my site.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts