Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player collector doldrums

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Outside of the collections I bought out late last year and early this year (both Erstad), it's been pretty slow since end of July. Seems to be in line with how the greater industry started to settle down from the white hot buying period.

I'm down to about 130 non-1/1 Erstad wants. 100ish 1/1. I havent picked up anything new in weeks.

I did snag a 1/1 Bucky Jacobsen about a month ago. That's been about it.

Anyone else seeing this for your players?

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I've been stalled for ages in my Roberto Kelly collection. The remaining cards aren't even 1/1 territory, but they might as well be as they're largely 1999-2000 Pacific color parallels. What is frustrating is that I'm sure most of them are buried somewhere in Burbank's warehouse, years away from being listed for sale.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Yeah I'd agree with this. Seemed like I picked up a good number of things in the first few months of the pandemic, but it's slowed down a bit recently. A few cards are still trickling in here and there, but considering how many cards are left on my wantlist (still ~850 non 1/1 cards from Robbie's playing career), I wouldn't expect things to dry up completely yet.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I've been stalled for ages in my Roberto Kelly collection. The remaining cards aren't even 1/1 territory, but they might as well be as they're largely 1999-2000 Pacific color parallels. What is frustrating is that I'm sure most of them are buried somewhere in Burbank's warehouse, years away from being listed for sale.

I've had pretty good success with them. Have you reached out?

Also, did you see the seller who had all the non-serial numbered Pacific replacement cards? I've managed to snag dozens of Erstad's.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Yeah I'd agree with this. Seemed like I picked up a good number of things in the first few months of the pandemic, but it's slowed down a bit recently. A few cards are still trickling in here and there, but considering how many cards are left on my wantlist (still ~850 non 1/1 cards from Robbie's playing career), I wouldn't expect things to dry up completely yet.

Especially with him as a HOFer. I'd expect more of these to be listed.

Erstad was a good player but he's basically a common and his career ended pretty modestly. I think he tends to be an afterthought to most who might have something rare.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
I feel your pain. Been so long since I picked up a Matheny. If they ever started making manager cards again I'd be happy.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
What do you mean reach out to Burbank - like send them a wantlist? Would they actually respond to that??

Yeah, I'd go for it. Their prices have settled into more reasonable territory, at least from what I've seen with my guys.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Paul O'Neill cards have slowed down as well. My core needs down to 125 or so from playing years. 50 or so are GU/Auto which I've purposely not picked up unless great prices. I was one or two shy of the complete run before I sold a bunch to cover expenses in 2015 since most are easily replaceable.

Remaining needs...
65 Inserts/Parallels
33 GU
20 Auto
90 Diffractors
45 Tek
40 1/1s

Good news, there was a link for a new $0.75 shipping option on eBay on one of the forums for cards up to $20. Hopefully this will compel sellers to list these lower-end inserts for guys like us.

eBay to Launch 75-cent shipping Option.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Over the past 2-3 years I had averaged 5 or so for my Wakefield collection that weren't new to that year. The bulk seemed to happen late winter early spring as people geared up for the season. I saw nothing this year until last week.
Im sure it was the same seller a year or two ago I bought three no serial numbered Wakefield cards from pacific prism
Slow grind right now.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Ah, the woes of a player collection. Of course, they differ from player to player. Do you chase the popular player with endless cards or the lesser known player with fewer, cheaper cards, but nobody cares enough to list them for sale/trade? The eternal question.

I feel like I am in the middle ground mostly. Garvey was good enough to trigger most people's good sense to list items, but not so good that everyone is chasing his items either. The fierce competition has come and gone over the years. There always seems to be at least one people at any given time that makes me work for new stuff, sometimes a few. I recall a few brief open periods where I could name my price, but have not seen those days for years now.

Having pretty much found everything from his playing days and growing bored of the new, logoless, artificially SP'd dreck that is being churned out these days, I don't find much new at all very often. I am also finding an unwillingness to pay more recently as well. Sometimes I go all out, but I prefer to stay on the lower end of spending on the hobby (at least per piece). Every once in a while something very oddball shows up and if I am not beat, revel in the excitement for a brief time before going back on the hunt.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma

@banjar There is a 1997 New Pinnacle plate for Robbie listed on ebay right now if you haven't seen it.

Robbie Alomar Plate

As for my PCs it depends.

Ryan Helsley PC: I've added a ton of stuff this year, including several 1/1s and low numbered stuff, but he's still a current player so it's a bit easier. I could have added a lot more but he's still young enough with just enough prospect shine left that his Supers are just more than I'm willing to pay though I'm kicking myself for missing the 2019 TCU non-auto Super that sold for $80 in July.

Jeff Frye PC: I hadn't added a Jeff Frye card in over a year until the Electric Diamond Gold popped up. I'm down to 9 non-plate checklist items though so if any of it shows up it is just luck.

Last edited:

j-rad

Mar 11, 2020
I've had pretty good success with them. Have you reached out?

Also, did you see the seller who had all the non-serial numbered Pacific replacement cards? I've managed to snag dozens of Erstad's.

Do you remember the sellers name? Are these backdoored cards or something else?

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
There are quite a few unnumbered Pacific inserts and parallels on COMC, I think I've grabbed a handful here and there. Presumably from the same bankruptcy auction as the ebay seller.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Thanks for thinking of me. Funny you should mention that plate. I saw it pop up one day for $30 BIN, and decided to buy it. I'm not really into plates, but that Pinnacle set was the very first set to offer them, so I thought what the hell. But when I clicked on the button to complete the purchase, it was gone. And sure enough, it was immediately re-listed by the current seller for $100. Is it worth a hundred? Maybe. But I ain't putting $70 in that seller's pocket!

@banjar There is a 1997 New Pinnacle plate for Robbie listed on ebay right now if you haven't seen it.

Robbie Alomar Plate

As for my PCs it depends.

Ryan Helsley PC: I've added a ton of stuff this year, including several 1/1s and low numbered stuff, but he's still a current player so it's a bit easier. I could have added a lot more but he's still young enough with just enough prospect shine left that his Supers are just more than I'm willing to pay though I'm kicking myself for missing the 2019 TCU non-auto Super that sold for $80 in July.

Jeff Frye PC: I hadn't added a Jeff Frye card in over a year until the Electric Diamond Gold popped up. I'm down to 9 non-plate checklist items though so if any of it shows up it is just luck.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I think those un-numbered Pacifics are pretty cool. I'm interested in the Robbie lot that seller has up right now, but the price is still a bit steep - especially since I already have half the ones in that lot (from other sellers). He was willing to break up the lot for me, but we couldn't agree on a price. Hoping the asking price continues to drop, as it has once already.

Ah, ok - I saw that listing. Offered him something last week for a few of the cards but never heard back. What’s the deal with these unnumbered Pacifics he has?

Members online

Latest posts