Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Items that players refuse to sign?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ekuhockey13

Nov 13, 2008
Indianapolis,IN
Clay Rapada refused to sign a DAV card and stated alot of guys on the team won't sign them to which every player on the Iowa cubs in that set I asked if they had a problem signing it and I got a no from the rest and why you ask to which I tell them what Clay said and they had some not so nice comments about him...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

TwinsWin

Mar 14, 2011
This is the one I thought of as well. Is there any reason as to why he won't sign it?

He said he never signed off on having it produced. Never got any loyalties from it I guess

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Cool thread idea.

My first thought was Ricky Henderson not signing bases.

Just pull the autograph signing she for the National and it'll list the items and particulars players have for signing. Usually they all have things they won't sign or things they won't personalize with or whatever.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Let's see...Latroy Hawkins and Mack Brown(ex UT football coach) both refuse to sign index cards. Sam Cassell won't sign basketballs and neither will Tim Duncan. From what I've been told, a lot of football players have stipulations on what they will and will not sign. Mostly it's on multi signed items where they don't want to sign or will charge a crap load more to do so. Rust Staub will not sign jersey's. Craig Biggio is very iffy on whether or not he will sign a bat(most of the time it's no). Hunter Pence will not sign a protective cup(yes...some chick actually tried). Jamal Charles doesn't like to sign anything with a blue sharpie(not sure why). Earl Campbell will now only sign "E. Campbell" unless it's a paid signing. James Harden will not sign OKC stuff anymore(from what I hear).

The list could go on for pages.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Bernie wont sign items that have other players signature on them. I think its something to do with stiner sports.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I heard someone say Orlando Hudson won't sign Dodger cards, but it appears he will sign photos. Seems likely, as they (cards) seem to be non-existent.

jmc280zx

Aug 11, 2008
SoCal
The two that come to mind for me, only because they affected me personally because I wanted them:

Ron Kittle won't sign his 1984 Topps card, except for a charity donation of $25 to indiana Sports Charities (which is quite steep for a Kittle auto by itself). I actually got this info directly from Ron himself via Facebook. If you don't think of it as a purchase, but a donation and a free auto, then maybe it's easier to swallow.

Steve Garvey is reportedly not willing to sign his 1982 Fleer card. I'd like to hear directly from him some day and a reason why, but for now I have no reason. It is an ugly card in my opinion, but since I pretty much had every other base card (regular issue) signed by him already, this one stood out. I have 2 and they look good to me, but can't be 100% sure that he in fact signed them.

One other one I discovered, although they are out there. When I met Dave Stewart at a minor league game signing he attended a year or two ago, he told me that he would not to sign Rangers and Phillies cards. I didn't push the issue, but he was almost apologetic about it. I am not convinced otherwise that if I had asked nicely, he may have done it anyway. I was trying to get a couple cards signed for other people, so glad he didn't have that policy to not sign Dodger stuff. I ended up giving him a Dodgers Police card he seemed intrigued about (it may have been the SP card). Cool guy.

There are some good lists out there about other signers that I stumbled upon. I find it interesting as to why these players won't sign certain things or at all.

A buddy of my had a signing with Garvey and that card was brought up... He said he won't sign it cuz he signed one for a charity and put 1/1 on it... So he doesn't want another one out there...

Sent from my Xoom using Freedom Card Board mobile app

ekuhockey13

Nov 13, 2008
Indianapolis,IN
Makes sense just like Doug Flynn with the 1986 topps card.. he's signed more than 1... Charity related may only be 10 out there

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Varitek will no longer sign the pick of when he shoved his glove in Arod's face. He said it was giving the wrong message to kids that fighting is OK.

TwinsWin

Mar 14, 2011
Jay Buhner won't sign the sports illustrated with him and his son. That is what I had heard before but I know there are copies that he has signed out there

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Dr. Mike Marshall won't sign, like, anything. Or does he offer sigs through his pitching school? Vague recollection of that. Maybe non-signers is a separate thread. I'm not a big autograph chaser at all, but I really wish I had scored one of his Sweet Spots in the last decade. Wow, there aren't any on ebay active OR completed. That's tuff stuff, to coin a phrase.

Is it Robin Ventura or Nolan Ryan, or both, who won't sign that picture?

ekuhockey13

Nov 13, 2008
Indianapolis,IN
A guy on sportscollectors.net has private signings with Dr Mike Marshall but he's like $100 or $150 in that area.. I've seen the Ventura and Ryan signed by both but Ventura is the one that may not sign it now.. I thinks I remember seeing it signed my Ryan someone sent to his foundation not to long ago...

Let's see...Latroy Hawkins and Mack Brown(ex UT football coach) both refuse to sign index cards. Sam Cassell won't sign basketballs and neither will Tim Duncan. From what I've been told, a lot of football players have stipulations on what they will and will not sign. Mostly it's on multi signed items where they don't want to sign or will charge a crap load more to do so. Rust Staub will not sign jersey's. Craig Biggio is very iffy on whether or not he will sign a bat(most of the time it's no). Hunter Pence will not sign a protective cup(yes...some chick actually tried). Jamal Charles doesn't like to sign anything with a blue sharpie(not sure why). Earl Campbell will now only sign "E. Campbell" unless it's a paid signing. James Harden will not sign OKC stuff anymore(from what I hear).

The list could go on for pages.

Hmmmm...Reason why?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Hmmmm...Reason why?

Let me preface this. This goes back several years and I've had to piece what I know together via several long time auto hounds and dealers. So none of the info had come straight from Biggio. All I know for a fact is even at Tristar, he has refused to sign bats before. At free signings, I've seen him sign all of three since 2007. Not to say there hasn't been more. But I've been to all the free events he's been at except one. And the three were for really long time Astros collectors who've been collecting since before Biggio made it into the league.

Supposedly his home was broken into and several game used bats were stolen. The next Tristar show that came up, a man approached him at the signing table with a game used bat that looked awfully familiar. He questioned the guy repeatedly wanting to know how he obtained it. The guy said he'd gotten it through a sunshine kids charity auction and had all the paperwork at home. Supposedly Biggio signed it but from there on out has refused to sign any bat, whether it be a gamer or just a cheap $20 Rawlings big stick from Academy.

Personally I think he'd be ok just refusing gu stuff but to refuse a big stick bat that was obviously just purchased at a store is a bit ridiculous. And I actually saved three friends the trouble because he was at minute maid a year or two ago and they all wanted bats signed. I told them to all bring something else as a backup. Sure enough he refused to sign any bats.

dmarren349

Oct 31, 2010
Indianapolis
Carlton Fisk will not sign his 1991 Score Record Breaker card for some reason. This was awhile ago, might have changed by now but Magic wouldn't sign any cards, but did sign a plain piece of paper.

GrumpsDugout

Feb 17, 2013
Pennsylvania
I've been to a few signing events where players refused to sign plain index cards. It's always been a last-ditch idea if I don't have any photos or cards or don't think I'd want to buy a baseball for them to sign.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Albert Belle used to refuse to sign Joey Belle cards - I think this is still the case.
I know Albert will not sign anything with "Joey" any longer but as for if he will sign an item which says "Joey Belle" I'm not sure. He obviously doesn't do shows or TTM or anything, so tough to say what he would or wouldn't do today if he were to do a public signing in Cleveland or something. I think he has softened up a little and would probably sign something that said "Joey Belle" but he wouldn't sign that name, which I don't think is bad.

Members online

Latest posts