Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage and hall of fame patches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Yours is everybit as nice. Did yours cost less then $1300?

Yes Much Less, thank goodness, lol. I think what I like about the five star is that he is pictured in his famous batting stance which to me makes the card pop a little more. Im 100% satisfied with mine so I will not be upgrading. I also have a Nice Gwynn Barrel to go with knob :)

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
I wouldn't look at upgrading gwynn knobs either mlbsalltimegreats. Yours ranks right up with the best ones.

Homerun28aa be patient paid off for your Pennock. They were selling for 350-450 right away. Think I paid around 300 for mine

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Tier-One-Orlando-Cepeda-Game-Used-Bat-Knob-1-1-/261931541089?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cfc562261

nice cepeda knob with uni number on it for what seems like a very reasonable $399. The auto version sold for $461 I think.

This looks to be a bat knob (as apposed to top of barrel) and is certified game used from 1967: http://www.psacard.com/BatFacts/BatDetail/1509/orlando-cepeda

Cepeda(1B02638)-L.JPG

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
lol, your good buddy, I love the research you do.

Haha thanks Tony! Okay, this isn't the proof I like to find as there is no picture of the knob from this auction, but here me out here as I am thinking "out loud":

$_12.JPG

This Tier One bat knob has a "cruddy" scan, but after researching all of the pro model bats that Cepeda used, and going off the fuzzy model stamp based on the following scan, I am confident that is a knob from one of his 155A model bats. If that is the case, the ONLY auction I was able to find, even though it does not have a scan of the knob was this one which was purchased in 2006: http://www.lelands.com/auction/Auct...Cardinals/Lot569~1967-Orlando-Cepeda-Game-Bat

The description (although in text format) does describe what we are looking at in the following scan. And I quote..."Cepeda's number "30" on the knob in marker also has stamped "155A" above it". Looking at the scan from the ebay/Tier One knob, the "has stamped "155A" above it" could be correct. They both are facing the opposite way, so if this was the bat then maybe the description is describing the "155A" being above the "30" even though technically the "30" is below the "155A". I am not a game used bat connoisseur so I am unsure what proper way the model number of the bat faces when the descriptors are creating the description of the bat.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
The only question I would have with the 2006 auction would be did it take topps 9 years to go through a bat?

I agree but just a bit. Look at the years in between the Gibson bat knob and bat barrel from their own product alone. I haven't done any research on how many knob cards Cepeda has, but I think it is more than plausible that topps or other companies don't use up the full bat right away. I could also be way off and wrong on that haha!

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
I agree but just a bit. Look at the years in between the Gibson bat knob and bat barrel from their own product alone. I haven't done any research on how many knob cards Cepeda has, but I think it is more than plausible that topps or other companies don't use up the full bat right away. I could also be way off and wrong on that haha!

With cepeda I tend to agree with you. He doesn't have much to my knowledge in barrels and knobs. That is a goof point on the gibson. I think it is very likely you may have the correct auction.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
With cepeda I tend to agree with you. He doesn't have much to my knowledge in barrels and knobs. That is a goof point on the gibson. I think it is very likely you may have the correct auction.

Yeah buying this high end stuff it is worth the research, and fun if and when you find actual auctions for the stuff found in these cards.

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
Picked up this sweet original 2003 leaf limited Lou Gehrig home pinstripe button card last week. I'm not a big button guy, not because I don't like them...they are sweet! I just try to stay to patches so I keep my collection somewhat narrow ;) however I just could not pass this up! It will fit nicely with my Lou Gehrig patches :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 32

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Picked up this sweet original 2003 leaf limited Lou Gehrig home pinstripe button card last week. I'm not a big button guy, not because I don't like them...they are sweet! I just try to stay to patches so I keep my collection somewhat narrow ;) however I just could not pass this up! It will fit nicely with my Lou Gehrig patches :)

YOWZERS that is a beauty!!!

Members online

Latest posts