Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brinn1

Sep 2, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hi all,
In Vegas, just had time to catch the forum in my room

I bought the card, no mystery there. If you look at the bidding, only one guy cost me $300, without him / her it would have gone for $400 or so.

Anyone know if the 2nd place bidder was from the forum? Its fine with me, just curious though.

I think the 2nd one just put up has no chance to duplicate in price the first one. I'd say $350 to $400 should do it. The logo patches are nowhere near as unique as the one I got (in my opinion) but the on card auto feature adds value- no sticker.

Anyway, whoever wants to own up to being runner up, since I admitted I was the fool paying the $700, go right ahead. I'm suprised more people didn't go for it more agressively. I expected I might have to pay $1000. But as we get to bidder in 3rd place numbers drop way down.

Anyway, nice cards, love the double logo card, but I'm running my string out on the high end items as I've said before they have to complete sets I already have started. I also said I had 2 cards I thought were special I already had esnipes in for and the $700 monster was one of them

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
Glad you won it, and its on the boards! Dont forget though, there could have been other bids in between the second highest bidder, and yours...they just may not have gone through because yours was so high....

And i agree, the one on there now should not go nearly as high as this one. First copies of cards always grab a little more than the ones to follow!!

brinn1 said:
Hi all,
In Vegas, just had time to catch the forum in my room

I bought the card, no mystery there. If you look at the bidding, only one guy cost me $300, without him / her it would have gone for $400 or so.

Anyone know if the 2nd place bidder was from the forum? Its fine with me, just curious though.

I think the 2nd one just put up has no chance to duplicate in price the first one. I'd say $350 to $400 should do it. The logo patches are nowhere near as unique as the one I got (in my opinion) but the on card auto feature adds value- no sticker.

Anyway, whoever wants to own up to being runner up, since I admitted I was the fool paying the $700, go right ahead. I'm suprised more people didn't go for it more agressively. I expected I might have to pay $1000. But as we get to bidder in 3rd place numbers drop way down.

Anyway, nice cards, love the double logo card, but I'm running my string out on the high end items as I've said before they have to complete sets I already have started. I also said I had 2 cards I thought were special I already had esnipes in for and the $700 monster was one of them

badmajama

Aug 11, 2008
I'll 'own' up. It was me. I set a snipe I would pay at because that was the same offer I had on the Jamaal Charles 1/1 NFL logo and the guy won't budge below $1300. So I wanted to get that Griffey. I didn't think it would have gone for more. It did. I bought the Dual patch at $500 so there so there'd be no way that quad patch would have sold at $400 tops. I would have out bid the $400 and I think others on and off the boards would too. I think all the collectors on here would agree. I'm sure my snipe shut a lot of other bids out because of the last few seconds when my bid went in. I'm sure there were $500, $600, and even $650 bids on it, but my snipe was $699.00. I think a better economy and that card would have gone for more than you paid. I can tell you're upset you have to pay the final bid, but then why set a snipe for that amount? I don't think any of us would have seen another one like that you won on ebay or anywhere for a while so it was a bid to win and own a very very nice card of Griffey's. However one did pop up after the one you won and now you start to think if you over paid. I don't think you over paid. It was inevitable for another one to pop up. Its a very rare card and I think you are lucky and deserving to own it. Congrats on the win.

SKYWALKER

Aug 7, 2008
WILDCAT COUNTRY
badmajama said:
I'll 'own' up. It was me. I set a snipe I would pay at because that was the same offer I had on the Jamaal Charles 1/1 NFL logo and the guy won't budge below $1300. So I wanted to get that Griffey. I didn't think it would have gone for more. It did. I bought the Dual patch at $500 so there so there'd be no way that quad patch would have sold at $400 tops. I would have out bid the $400 and I think others on and off the boards would too. I think all the collectors on here would agree. I'm sure my snipe shut a lot of other bids out because of the last few seconds when my bid went in. I'm sure there were $500, $600, and even $650 bids on it, but my snipe was $699.00. I think a better economy and that card would have gone for more than you paid. I can tell you're upset you have to pay the final bid, but then why set a snipe for that amount? I don't think any of us would have seen another one like that you won on ebay or anywhere for a while so it was a bid to win and own a very very nice card of Griffey's. However one did pop up after the one you won and now you start to think if you over paid. I don't think you over paid. It was inevitable for another one to pop up. Its a very rare card and I think you are lucky and deserving to own it. Congrats on the win.

hey i have to say that is one great card and if i was still going after griffs you would have seen my bid . i love those uc from upperdeck this year they are making my mouth water for some :D :D :D

SKYWALKER

Aug 7, 2008
WILDCAT COUNTRY
LaneyB said:
2000SpxWinningMaterialsAuto.jpg

2002UDGameBallAuto.jpg

these look great

badmajama

Aug 11, 2008
SKYWALKER said:
badmajama said:

hey i have to say that is one great card and if i was still going after griffs you would have seen my bid . i love those uc from upperdeck this year they are making my mouth water for some :D :D :D

They are probably the best UC auto's of his to date. IMO

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Would any of you Griffey Collectors be interested in buying my griffey collection....

Not a ton of high end stuff, probably 400 cards or so, 200 inserts, 6-7 starting lineups, some offball stuff, a bunch of rookies etc...

I am looking for someone that I can trust that I can send the whole thing to, and they will give me a fair price.

LMK if anyone is interested

skrip

rdg00001

Nov 11, 2008
United States
LaneyB said:
rdg00001 said:
After 4 years of looking, I finally landed it :) just thought I'd share! I am very pumped!

8b9e_1.jpg

Very nice card, great price on that as well.
Thanks! It was about 200 less than I expected it to go for. 1 more card to go for the 01 sweet spot set now! It also completes my base Griffey sweet spot auto set, as I just got this in last week too:

08ss-skg-griffey-black.jpg

It has been a good month for me cards-wise!

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
My 49th on card auto completes a rainbow (Gold/15, Silver/24, Bronze/70 regular/150). Not sure what is going on with photobucket and if it's fixed, so i will just post the auction!

[ebay:2sdtiq8d]320333663416[/ebay:2sdtiq8d]

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
jpcz said:
My 49th on card auto completes a rainbow (Gold/15, Silver/24, Bronze/70 regular/150). Not sure what is going on with photobucket and if it's fixed, so i will just post the auction!

[ebay:3jw9st3k]320333663416[/ebay:3jw9st3k]
CONGRATS!!
what that run ya??

transfer_0460.jpg

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
ballerskrip said:
Would any of you Griffey Collectors be interested in buying my griffey collection....

Not a ton of high end stuff, probably 400 cards or so, 200 inserts, 6-7 starting lineups, some offball stuff, a bunch of rookies etc...

I am looking for someone that I can trust that I can send the whole thing to, and they will give me a fair price.

LMK if anyone is interested

skrip

I guess not.....

Roy Birchler

Aug 7, 2008
Northern California
jpcz said:

[ebay:3klwj670]320333663416[/ebay:3klwj670]

Nice job. Out of 15 possible rainbows, there are at least 3 on this board. Sometimes I wonder what influence this board has on Griffey auto prices.

Roy

Members online

Latest posts