Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Apr 13, 2010
jszczech said:
I paid $30 for my Puckett test issue. I have seen them sell as high as $85 in the past so it was well worth it to me.
I paid $85 for this reason. This set seems to be an extraordinarily condition sensitive set. Buy when you see your player!
KirbyPuckett1995FleerExtraBasesGameTestSamples.jpg

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
ASTROBURN said:
clayb31 said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Fleer-Extra-Bases-Game-Test-Samples-8-MIKE-PIAZZA-/250892499152?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3a6a5bb8d0

So this guy has several of these 1995 Fleer Extra Bases Game Test Sample cards. I've never seen these before but I am not as hardcore as some of you guys. He has several stars (Griffey, Ripken, Bagwell, Maddux). Are they worth the $20+ minimum bid?

30 bucks for the Bagwell? Pass...

I've seen 3 in my years of collecting Bagwell. I was more than happy to pay the opening bid and much more. But the one he has up(or had up recently) is the second one he has listed that I've seen. I purchased the first one I saw him list. Glad to knock that off my list. i think the only other place I've seen it was when Magic Pappa sent me a link to becket market place and it was a BIN of $49.95.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
nosterbor said:
BunchOBull said:
To me, promos and prototypes are a focus of my collection, and the prices seem well worth it. There were very few print runs of the set, 60 I believe. Once they're gone, they're gone.
You hit the nail on the HEAD!60 thats it. it took me 14 years to track mine down.

So there is really only 60 printed of each player? If so, the $35 or so I paid seems like a hell of a bargain now. Truth be told, my bid was closer to $100. Glad I didn't have to go that high though. My focus is Bagwell of course but my primary focus is nailing stuff down I still need that is pre-2000. Cards like this...knocking them off the list is really helpful. Because I figure a lot of what I am still missing pre-2000 is stuff that isn't costly and a lot easier to find. I've just been lazy. Still some expensive ones left of course and then a few I'll never find. But being able to cross something off that was a priority is a blessing to me.

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
predatorkj said:
nosterbor said:
BunchOBull said:
To me, promos and prototypes are a focus of my collection, and the prices seem well worth it. There were very few print runs of the set, 60 I believe. Once they're gone, they're gone.
You hit the nail on the HEAD!60 thats it. it took me 14 years to track mine down.

So there is really only 60 printed of each player? If so, the $35 or so I paid seems like a hell of a bargain now. Truth be told, my bid was closer to $100. Glad I didn't have to go that high though. My focus is Bagwell of course but my primary focus is nailing stuff down I still need that is pre-2000. Cards like this...knocking them off the list is really helpful. Because I figure a lot of what I am still missing pre-2000 is stuff that isn't costly and a lot easier to find. I've just been lazy. Still some expensive ones left of course and then a few I'll never find. But being able to cross something off that was a priority is a blessing to me.

Steve Taft is the same dealer on Ebay and Beckett. He is the only one I have ever seen
have these for sale. I believe he bought them all from Fleer or whoever and have been
selling them since? BTW Ripken must be high on someones want list because that one was
a 70 opening bid??

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
AUTaxMan said:
AUTaxMan said:
Some mail
1997DonrussLimitedExposureNonGlossy2A.jpg
1997DonrussLimitedExposureNonGlossy2B.jpg

By the way, does anyone know how tough the Limited Exposure "Non-Glossy" cards are? I'd never seen one until I picked up this one. Not really non-glossy. Just non-refractor.
Fairly rare, most were sent back to Donruss for the corrected card. Donruss corrected those early in the print run.

n1astrosfn

Dec 4, 2008
charlotte
Jack Straw said:
Steve Taft is the same dealer on Ebay and Beckett. He is the only one I have ever seen
have these for sale. I believe he bought them all from Fleer or whoever and have been
selling them since? BTW Ripken must be high on someones want list because that one was
a 70 opening bid??

this. i think theyre crap. these weren't listed in the beckett until fairly recently (2007ish) because that steve taft dealer came across a bunch of them and was a beckett marketplace dealer and im sure he made a fuss and got them listed. so, if you want some changes or something added to beckett, become a marketplace dealer.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
n1astrosfn said:
Jack Straw said:
a 70 opening bid??

this. i think theyre crap. these weren't listed in the beckett until fairly recently (2007ish) because that steve taft dealer came across a bunch of them and was a beckett marketplace dealer and im sure he made a fuss and got them listed. so, if you want some changes or something added to beckett, become a marketplace dealer.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with the possibility of him being the only one that has them, but they were on my Gwynn master checklist in 2002- the first one I printed. Whether they were distributed or not (a matter of preference) the fact remains that they were produced!

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I mean, they were designed as a prototype for Fleer, Inc., so it's not like they're some broder or unlicensed release. However, you're certainly welcome to think they're crap.

n1astrosfn

Dec 4, 2008
charlotte
Gwynn545 said:
n1astrosfn said:
Jack Straw said:
a 70 opening bid??

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with the possibility of him being the only one that has them, but they were on my Gwynn master checklist in 2002- the first one I printed. Whether they were distributed or not (a matter of preference) the fact remains that they were produced!

i stand corrected. i remem in high school/college i was using the beckett checklist as a master too and it wasnt listed but then i recall later it was, which was conveniently around the time i first saw them from him in the marketplace. college was 03-07 so if it was in there before 02 then i mustve just missed it cause i dont recall seeing it in their database in high school.

and i would put money that he is the only one with these and he is the reason they became checklisted.

i agree that these are legit, however it really irks me how ignorant some player collectors are. I love oddballish stuff, however its stuff like those "special olympic" stamped crap, fake printing plates, "variations" where the ink is one shade different in a corner that makes me want to want to vomit on a card and sell it to some deep pocketed player collector. dumbs.

n1astrosfn

Dec 4, 2008
charlotte
BunchOBull said:
I mean, they were designed as a prototype for Fleer, Inc., so it's not like they're some broder or unlicensed release. However, you're certainly welcome to think they're crap.

okey dokey. theyre not crap, but knowing what i know, i certainly wouldnt be the first to bid on them cause who knows how many he has. the first puckett sold for 85, the second for 31. the first ripken 125, the second for 75. ill wait and if it never pops up again, i really dont care.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I want the Bagwell, but I cant spend 30 plus on a single card at the moment. 30 for 30 cards, yeah, but not for one card. I havent reached that point yet in my collection where every card i need is more than 20 bucks each...

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I was really hoping to win a couple of other cards from this seller, so the shipping wouldnt hurt so bad, but I lost out on two other cards to another member. Oh well. Im glad I got this one back. Its one of the few I had sold off many years ago to help pay for a wedding. Now its back in the family!

Leaf%20Limited%20Lumberjacks%209%20Black%20164%20of%20500.jpg

riveraXVX

May 6, 2011
Greensboro NC
had been sitting on about 60 greg maddux cards I've purchased over the last couple of months on checkoutmycards just requested shipment on 60 of them for $10 with their special on shipping this weekend.

been steady stalking on there for few months trying to fill in the many holes in the collection. focusing mostly on $5+ BV cards don't think I paid more than 10-15% BV on most of them. a lot of variety/fun stuff overall.

a couple of the "nicer" (IE: $20+BV) ones picked up on the cheap:
1998 Paramount Platinum Blue #133
1998 Bowman's Best Refractors #60 #/400
1998 Collector's Choice StarQuest #SQ88
1997 Topps Gallery Player's Private Issue #26 /250

will post up some photos when they come in! should be pretty close to hitting the 500 unique maddux cards milestone soon. slowly but surely rebuilding! still havent popped on picking up something *really* nice yet, but have set my sights on a particular auto of his

Jan 14, 2009
n1astrosfn said:
Gwynn545 said:
n1astrosfn said:
Jack Straw said:
a 70 opening bid??

i stand corrected. i remem in high school/college i was using the beckett checklist as a master too and it wasnt listed but then i recall later it was, which was conveniently around the time i first saw them from him in the marketplace. college was 03-07 so if it was in there before 02 then i mustve just missed it cause i dont recall seeing it in their database in high school.

and i would put money that he is the only one with these and he is the reason they became checklisted.

i agree that these are legit, however it really irks me how ignorant some player collectors are. I love oddballish stuff, however its stuff like those "special olympic" stamped crap, fake printing plates, "variations" where the ink is one shade different in a corner that makes me want to want to vomit on a card and sell it to some deep pocketed player collector. dumbs.

You sound like a whole lot of fun. Thanks for stopping by.

Members online

Latest posts