Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Michael Young gets sixth 200-hit season; 16th player ever.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Texas Rangers designated hitter and super-utility man Michael Young got his 200th hit on Tuesday in Oakland, driving in Josh Hamilton from second on a single to right in the third.

Young now has 200 hits for the sixth time in his career.
He's the 16th player in major league history with as many as six 200-hit seasons and the third active player (Ichiro Suzuki has 10 and Derek Jeter has seven).
Young leads the team with 40 doubles and 103 RBIs and is just the fifth player since 1960 with more than one season of at least 200 hits, 40 doubles and 100 RBIs (he also did it in 2006).

Earlier this season, Young also notched his 2,000th hit of his career in a game against the Indians, becoming the 12th player with 2,000 hits for one of MLB's 14 expansion teams since 1961 and the first for the Rangers franchise.

He said he was glad to reach the milestone in front of the home fans.

"They've seen good plays, they've seen errors, they've seen hits and they've seen punchouts," he said. "They've seen all of me so I was very excited to have it happen with them. Obviously I've very appreciative of the support and if there's good feelings towards me. It's definitely a two-way street, and I feel the same way towards them."

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I think he'll end up being a HOF with a paul molitor type career...with a little more power

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
I root for him every year to get more credit. Great player that is far too overlooked.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
markakis8 said:
I think he'll end up being a HOF with a paul molitor type career...with a little more power

Interesting comp. Molitor slugged .448 to Youngs current .451 so I don't see much difference in power.

Here are Molitor's hit total for his age 35 season and beyond:

If Young can get a couple more 200 hit seasons he will be very close after 5 more years, but how many guys have we seen players break down or lose significant bat speed in their late 30s? There's a reason so few players reach these milestones.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Love him. So underrated and his cards are fairly inexpensive as well. Congrats to a class act :salute:

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Knew he had a few, didn't realize he had 6 now! Great player, indeed.

AL 200 hit seasons - 3 (Might easily have 4 by the end of the season)
NL 200 hit season - 0 (Castro will get it, but he looks to be the only one)

:twisted:

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Why do people continue to insist that you MUST hit a milestone number to be in the hall of fame?

300 wins
3000 hits
500 homeruns

Why? How many Hall of Famers have not reached one of these? What milestone did Ozzie Smith get to?

Just saying.

skrip

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
ballerskrip said:
Why do people continue to insist that you MUST hit a milestone number to be in the hall of fame?

300 wins
3000 hits
500 homeruns

Why? How many Hall of Famers have not reached one of these? What milestone did Ozzie Smith get to?

Just saying.

skrip

I would consider 10 gold gloves a milestone

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
ballerskrip said:

300 wins
3000 hits
500 homeruns

Just saying.

skrip

I don't like set-in-stone numbers either. I'm more a fan of a high level of consistency over a career...be it 9 or 19 years

Case in point: Cam Newton might throw for 5000 yards this year (if he slows down a bit)

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
ballerskrip said:

300 wins
3000 hits
500 homeruns

Just saying.

skrip

I don't like set-in-stone numbers either. I'm more a fan of a high level of consistency over a career...be it 9 or 19 years

Case in point: Cam Newton might throw for 5000 yards this year (if he slows down a bit)

Tom Brady is on pace for 7500 yards, so suck it.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
markakis8 said:
JoshHamilton said:
ballerskrip said:

300 wins
3000 hits
500 homeruns

Just saying.

skrip

Cam Newton is on pace for 6832 yards and zero wins.

Way more impressive, IMO

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
markakis8 said:
JoshHamilton said:
ballerskrip said:

300 wins
3000 hits
500 homeruns

Just saying.

skrip

Cam Newton is on pace for 6832 yards and zero wins.

Way more impressive, IMO

Truth.

chadwright

Jun 25, 2011
Austin, TX
One of my sons collects Michael Young cards and I'm always shocked at how cheap they are. Recent Topps Marquee Titanic Threads card /99 went for $2. Crazy for such a great player.

Members online

Latest posts