Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLBTV question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I looked into doing MLBTV with my brother in law, only to find out that if we did it the Games we want will be blacked out since we live in that teams "area". If we were to tag along with another members plan who lives outside of the area, and we use their sign up info to activate our equipment, will the games then come through? Anyone have any experience with this?

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
I'm pretty sure it goes by the location of your ISP, not your login or registration info. I've been out of town a few times and was able to watch games that would've been blacked out had I tried from home.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Its my understanding that they replay blacked out games after the game is over, plus I'll be able to see half the season because of away games... Do they have any other content like Baseball Tonight style shows? or is it strictly just games?

Boo Radley

Jun 5, 2013
Cape Cod
Its my understanding that they replay blacked out games after the game is over, plus I'll be able to see half the season because of away games... Do they have any other content like Baseball Tonight style shows? or is it strictly just games?

No, just because your home team is on the road doesn't mean you'll be able to see the games, you won't. Think of it this way, if you had cable and were able to watch the game in your local area, you won't be able to watch it on MLB.TV. This includes nationally televised games.

Also, keep in mind, they're pretty hardcore when it comes to viewing. Only one person can be logged into an account at any time. So if you and your bro-in-law don't live together, you both won't be able to use the service at the same time.

Arthur

theacox

Jan 19, 2013
You will be blacked out for any games shown on local TV/RSNs. Away games will be blacked out. You will be able to see games later, though. I think it's usually the next morning before they are ready.

theacox

Jan 19, 2013
Also, keep in mind, they're pretty hardcore when it comes to viewing. Only one person can be logged into an account at any time. So if you and your bro-in-law don't live together, you both won't be able to use the service at the same time.

Arthur

I have not experienced this. Have had up to 3 simultaneous connections from different locations without a problem the last few seasons.

Boo Radley

Jun 5, 2013
Cape Cod
I have not experienced this. Have had up to 3 simultaneous connections from different locations without a problem the last few seasons.

Hmm... interesting. My friend tried to do this with his brother and anytime one of them logged on the other would get booted off.

Arthur

theacox

Jan 19, 2013
Hmm... interesting. My friend tried to do this with his brother and anytime one of them logged on the other would get booted off.

Arthur

Hmmm. I don't know. I think it does say something in their TOS about one connection at a time, but I've never heard of them actually enforcing it.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Argh. Decisions, decisions...

It's a no brainer to say YES!

- TV games for your blacked out team can be watched in the archives
- there are archives for every game on the service if you miss another game live
- Every game played is on the service (not just games on RSNs like on Extra Innings cable package)
- you do not get blacked out of your local team's radio broadcast
- National TV blackouts won't be as severe this season due to the new tv contracts
- Spring training games included
- About $70 cheaper for the season than cable/satellite Extra Innings package
- MLB AT BAT 2014 app free with purchase of subscription (not sure if with basic or higher or only with advanced)
- cost of MILB.TV slashed in half when you buy MLBTV and MILB.TV together (and I use MILB.TV to watch my local minor league team so it's a great deal for me to do the combo)
- you can watch MLBTV on a ****load of devices, so it's very convenient if you don't want to be tethered to a PC to be able to find and use a device to stream it to your mancave tv

Boo Radley

Jun 5, 2013
Cape Cod
It's a no brainer to say YES!

- TV games for your blacked out team can be watched in the archives
- there are archives for every game on the service if you miss another game live
- Every game played is on the service (not just games on RSNs like on Extra Innings cable package)
- you do not get blacked out of your local team's radio broadcast
- National TV blackouts won't be as severe this season due to the new tv contracts
- Spring training games included
- About $70 cheaper for the season than cable/satellite Extra Innings package
- MLB AT BAT 2014 app free with purchase of subscription (not sure if with basic or higher or only with advanced)
- cost of MILB.TV slashed in half when you buy MLBTV and MILB.TV together (and I use MILB.TV to watch my local minor league team so it's a great deal for me to do the combo)
- you can watch MLBTV on a ****load of devices, so it's very convenient if you don't want to be tethered to a PC to be able to find and use a device to stream it to your mancave tv

I agree with everything except the point about the price. With the Directv MLB Extra Innings package I could call Directv and negotiate a price much lower than MLB.TV. Last year I paid $50 for the MLB EI package. But as a value it's well worth the cost. I plan on ordering it this year and using it through my Roku.

Arthur

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I agree with everything except the point about the price. With the Directv MLB Extra Innings package I could call Directv and negotiate a price much lower than MLB.TV. Last year I paid $50 for the MLB EI package. Arthur

Being the "Clark Howard" of my family and friends, thanks for the tip! I didn't know directv was negotiable on price.

I have directv, but I"m not going to haggle over MLB EI even if I could get it for $50. MLBTV is still far better to me - biggest point being MLBTV has every game played in the package rather than just a few games by comparison shown by RSNs on EI ;)

Boo Radley

Jun 5, 2013
Cape Cod
Being the "Clark Howard" of my family and friends, thanks for the tip! I didn't know directv was negotiable on price.

I have directv, but I"m not going to haggle over MLB EI even if I could get it for $50. MLBTV is still far better to me - biggest point being MLBTV has every game played in the package rather than just a few games by comparison shown by RSNs on EI ;)

Did I miss something? I got every game of MLB last year on EI package. Did they change that this year?

Arthur

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Did I miss something? I got every game of MLB last year on EI package. Did they change that this year?

Arthur

when I looked at the EI free preview last year, some local tv rightsholder games were not carried and of course none of the games that weren't televised. MLBTV had them all.

if I can find a way to come back to this thread in April when Directv has their first free preview of the season, I'll do a list of games over a few days of the MLB sked vs what isn't carried in MLB EI pay tv package.

Boo Radley

Jun 5, 2013
Cape Cod
when I looked at the EI free preview last year, some local tv rightsholder games were not carried and of course none of the games that weren't televised. MLBTV had them all.

if I can find a way to come back to this thread in April when Directv has their first free preview of the season, I'll do a list of games over a few days of the MLB sked vs what isn't carried in MLB EI pay tv package.

Interesting. If I remember correctly, the free preview is the first week of the season. I wonder if they had less games then because of all the nationally televised games? Because I watched an embarrassing amount of baseball last year and they had every single game on the schedule. Saturday morning games tend to get screwed up because of Fox's Saturday baseball, but other than that, every game on the schedule is available.

Members online

Latest posts