Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Big eBay seller is trying to back out of deal...what should I do

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I will say that in this particular case, if I were Burbank, I would just honor the transaction. It's not that huge of a steal and they certainly can afford to lose $20-$30 on a sale to keep a customer happy. They shouldn't HAVE to though.

Last edited:

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
You know, I'm going to go ahead and apologize for my snark since you're actually closer to what I think than I thought.

where I differ is most people would understand that there was an error and go ahead and take the offer. If the buyer refuses, burbank should take the loss and block the seller going forward. As i said in my original post, I would accept the giftcard and move on with my life. Asking for them to honor their commitment is not "entitlement" but rather the RIGHT thing to do.

Expecting them to is entitlement, but asking them to without threat of negative reaction is certainly not. Can't blame someone for trying. I would ask them to honor it, then if they said no and offered the gift card, I would graciously accept and be happy that I turned $1 into $10.

Last edited:

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Expecting them to is entitlement, but asking them to without threat of negative reaction is certainly not. Can't blame someone for trying. I would ask them to honor it, then if they said no and offered the gift card, I would graciously accept and be happy that I turned $1 into $10.

once again, I'm entitled to a transaction being completed. So if thats the sense of entitlement you speak of, its exactly what i'm saying.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
It is an interesting argument that comes up over and over. I remember a member that is fairly prominent here went to Target and bought a box of cards for the price of a single pack because the cashier made a mistake. In other words, they stole all but one pack of cards. This is the same situation. If you know you were getting a deal that is too good to be true and the person selling them item caught it, why are you on moral high ground? At this point it has gone from hoping to get a great deal to attempting to literally steal from them. You know it was a mispriced auction. They informed you of this and offered you a 10x refund. You now want the card for $1 despite the fact that both of you are aware it was a mistake. You are trying to steal from them.

If you are morally okay with that, then go for it. A lot of people think getting ahead is all that matters. Others think this would be the wrong moral move. But don't pretend it isn't something that it is.

And as an aside, I don't care what you do. I'm not your keeper and I think you would still be worth having conversations with and have valuable knowledge to contribute to this community. You just have to decide if you're okay with stealing from someone.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
once again, I'm entitled to a transaction being completed. So if thats the sense of entitlement you speak of, its exactly what i'm saying.

That is our disconnect. I would never expect someone "honor" their mistake. I don't see how one could make the argument that it is the right thing to do. It's called a mistake for a reason. "Finders keepers..." isn't the law of business transactions.

Last edited:

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
A buyer looking for a steal should have just ignored the listing in the first place if it appeared too good to be true.

Burbank is an established seller - you can't bully them around even if they made the mistake.

WaxPax

I guess they see this whole entitlement logic in reverse, with the SELLER entitle to make mistakes without consequence....How is that for a spin on their logic....

You know, I'm going to go ahead and apologize for my snark since you're actually closer to what I think than I thought.

where I differ is most people would understand that there was an error and go ahead and take the offer. If the buyer refuses, burbank should take the loss and block the seller going forward. As i said in my original post, I would accept the giftcard and move on with my life. Asking for them to honor their commitment is not "entitlement" but rather the RIGHT thing to do.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
A buyer looking for a steal should have just ignored the listing in the first place if it appeared too good to be true.

Burbank is an established seller - you can't bully them around even if they made the mistake.

What is your view of a steal? seems like we arent exactly talking about a 50 dollars card here, we're talking about a 15-20 dollar card. Is this type of attention really worth it for a seller or is it better to have a happy customer who will buy from you again?

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I guess they see this whole entitlement logic in reverse, with the SELLER entitle to make mistakes without consequence....How is that for a spin on their logic....

This makes no sense in that a seller's mistake negatively affects ONLY the seller. Why on earth would there HAVE to be "consequences" for a mistake. I'm sure when you make mistakes that you wouldn't like someone there rubbing salt in your wound by prolonging the mistake when they could just be understanding and help you fix it.

Last edited:

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Let it go. It was an obvious listing error. It happens. You are getting a free $10 for almost zero time and effort and NO RISK if you planned on flipping a card you obvious knew nothing about. Anyone with integrity and not consumed by greed would let them off the hook. Like others have said... you can't make them do anything. I am no Burbank fan either but IMO, their offer is quite generous.Tom

WaxPax

I guess there is such such thing as accountability anymore....As I stated, I have and would make good on any mistake I've made listing....my work here is finished

This makes no sense in that a seller's mistake negatively affects ONLY the seller. Why on earth would there HAVE to be "consequences" for a mistake. I'm sure when you make mistakes that you wouldn't like someone there rubbing salt in your wound by prolonging the mistake when they could just be understanding and help you fix it.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I guess there is such such thing as accountability anymore....As I stated, I have and would make good on any mistake I've made listing....my work here is finished

I guess there is no such thing as "doing the right thing" anymore. It's great that you needlessly "honor" your mistakes. Good for you. But there is no honor in expecting others to "honor" theirs. It's one of the things that separates good people from bad people. Shame on anyone who has ever used your mistakes to their advantage when they had the chance not to.

Last edited:

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Some real dip sh*ts on here. I don't see this as either the OPor Burbank's fault. It's Beckett sh*tty system's fault. Burbank just can't give out rare cards for one freakin dollar. They are in it to make money. Some simpleton collectors can't understand that because they are on the other side of the baseball card spectrum.

Sent from my HUAWEI-M920 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Maybe Beckett should pay the difference.

I would be interested in what Loblaw's legal stance is on this. How would it play out in court?

Sent from my HUAWEI-M920 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
The problem is how it was handled. You don't say, sorry for the mistake, here are your options. You say, sorry for the mistake, any way we can fix this, so I don't get killed? This allows the buyer to be good, instead of pissing them off.

greg

Members online

Latest posts