Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Big eBay seller is trying to back out of deal...what should I do

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
The problem is how it was handled. You don't say, sorry for the mistake, here are your options. You say, sorry for the mistake, any way we can fix this, so I don't get killed? This allows the buyer to be good, instead of pissing them off.

greg

Good point.

Sent from my HUAWEI-M920 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Some real dip sh*ts on here. I don't see this as either the OPor Burbank's fault. It's Beckett sh*tty system's fault. Burbank just can't give out rare cards for one freakin dollar. They are in it to make money. Some simpleton collectors can't understand that because they are on the other side of the baseball card spectrum.

Yeah, no kidding. Let's talk about entitlement.

(Quotes of PadresFan86 found in thread link at bottom)
I was charged state tax from a seller on Ebay. I asked if they owned a business. This is the response I got.
"This is income. eBay is a store and reports 200 sales or more. Sales tax was stated in the auction discription"

It was for a card I really wanted so I didn't raise the issue until I saw that it was on it's way through tracking. First time I even seen this card. I piggy backed off of what Loblaw's response was, asking him to see his license LOL. I do expect the state tax to be refunded though.

So, I opened a case against the seller who charged me state tax. I asked that I be partially refunded for the state tax that I was charged and they refunded me the whole amount which was about 16 bucks LOL I emailed the seller twice and asked that he refund me the state tax that I was charged before I opened the case but he didn't reply so F him!

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...ove-turning-the-tables-on-eBay-scammers/page4

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012

I was charged state tax from a seller on Ebay. I asked if they owned a business. This is the response I got.
"This is income. eBay is a store and reports 200 sales or more. Sales tax was stated in the auction discription"

It was for a card I really wanted so I didn't raise the issue until I saw that it was on it's way through tracking. First time I even seen this card. I piggy backed off of what Loblaw's response was, asking him to see his license LOL. I do expect the state tax to be refunded though.

So, I opened a case against the seller who charged me state tax. I asked that I be partially refunded for the state tax that I was charged and they refunded me the whole amount which was about 16 bucks LOL I emailed the seller twice and asked that he refund me the state tax that I was charged before I opened the case but he didn't reply so F him!

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...ove-turning-the-tables-on-eBay-scammers/page4

Popcorns still popping. Just give me a minute ill be ready

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX

Popcorns still popping. Just give me a minute ill be ready

aVZgT.gif

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Here comes good ole RiceLynnEvans stalking me again. Probably the biggest internet dork I've ever encountered. I should post a picture of myself on here so you can make a shrine.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Did you forget the part where I paypaled the seller what I was refunded besides the state tax that he had no right charging? The seller then lied about receiving the repayment from me. Good way to divert the topic at hand *********.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
It is an interesting argument that comes up over and over. I remember a member that is fairly prominent here went to Target and bought a box of cards for the price of a single pack because the cashier made a mistake. In other words, they stole all but one pack of cards. This is the same situation. If you know you were getting a deal that is too good to be true and the person selling them item caught it, why are you on moral high ground? At this point it has gone from hoping to get a great deal to attempting to literally steal from them. You know it was a mispriced auction. They informed you of this and offered you a 10x refund. You now want the card for $1 despite the fact that both of you are aware it was a mistake. You are trying to steal from them.

If you are morally okay with that, then go for it. A lot of people think getting ahead is all that matters. Others think this would be the wrong moral move. But don't pretend it isn't something that it is.

And as an aside, I don't care what you do. I'm not your keeper and I think you would still be worth having conversations with and have valuable knowledge to contribute to this community. You just have to decide if you're okay with stealing from someone.

It's not exactly the same situation as the Target scenario. With this particular situation, we are talking about a specific card that has no designated value and was already labeled with a price by the seller. It wasn't "rung up" wrong by a cashier. There are PLENTY of naive hobby collectors out there that would have no idea about the estimated value of any card. It could have been a grandmother buying the card for their grand kid for Christmas. And you can't use the irrelevant term "book value" either b/c many sellers sell 80-90% off "book value" on ebay. So what if the BV is $30? (I have no clue if it is). Paying $3 for a Pujols card is 90% off.

Obviously I'm stretching it a little bit here, but the scenario could ring true. And to automatically label it "trying to steal from them" is overly presumptuous.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008

BAZINGA!

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Did you forget the part where I paypaled the seller what I was refunded besides the state tax that he had no right charging? The seller then lied about receiving the repayment from me. Good way to divert the topic at hand *********.

I saw it, but when the seller was contacted afterwards and said they didn't receive any refund, well, it's plainly obvious to see who would be more likely to lie in that scenario. But hey, keep calling everyone here names, it really adds to your credibility.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
It's not exactly the same situation as the Target scenario. With this particular situation, we are talking about a specific card that has no designated value and was already labeled with a price by the seller. It wasn't "rung up" wrong by a cashier. There are PLENTY of naive hobby collectors out there that would have no idea about the estimated value of any card. It could have been a grandmother buying the card for their grand kid for Christmas. And you can't use the irrelevant term "book value" either b/c many sellers sell 80-90% off "book value" on ebay. So what if the BV is $30? (I have no clue if it is). Paying $3 for a Pujols card is 90% off.

Obviously I'm stretching it a little bit here, but the scenario could ring true. And to automatically label it "trying to steal from them" is overly presumptuous.

I get where you're coming from but this is what I'm getting at. I have something you want. Let's say it is a pencil. You happen to know it is a very rare pencil that is worth $40. I have it for sale at $1. While you're buying it, I realize what it is and tell you that I cannot sell it for $1. If you then took the pencil and gave me $1, did you steal from me?

This is essentially what people want to happen here. If the seller never acknowledges the mistake, it is a different story. The seller failed to educate himself and feels as if they sold it at a fair value, so there is no moral gray area. In this situation, the buyer is essentially saying the seller should allow them to steal.

But again, it is a personal call. I have a problem with it and would not be able to do it. Others may have no issue with doing it at all. And the beauty of it all is that neither of us is wrong or right. We just have different perspectives.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I get where you're coming from but this is what I'm getting at. I have something you want. Let's say it is a pencil. You happen to know it is a very rare pencil that is worth $40. I have it for sale at $1. While you're buying it, I realize what it is and tell you that I cannot sell it for $1. If you then took the pencil and gave me $1, did you steal from me?

This is essentially what people want to happen here. If the seller never acknowledges the mistake, it is a different story. The seller failed to educate himself and feels as if they sold it at a fair value, so there is no moral gray area. In this situation, the buyer is essentially saying the seller should allow them to steal.

But again, it is a personal call. I have a problem with it and would not be able to do it. Others may have no issue with doing it at all. And the beauty of it all is that neither of us is wrong or right. We just have different perspectives.

I see where you are coming from as well. I guess I'm just not quick to use the word "steal" as you mean it.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I'd probably just take the $10 and move on unless something else can be worked out with the card. Otherwise, I just don't see him sending it anyway regardless of if you say you want it. Bottom line is, it's the seller's responsibility to list things properly, regardless of how he's doing it. Blaming Beckett is just not taking responsibility.

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012

The best post of the thread IMO.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
I saw it, but when the seller was contacted afterwards and said they didn't receive any refund, well, it's plainly obvious to see who would be more likely to lie in that scenario. But hey, keep calling everyone here names, it really adds to your credibility.

I must be a dishonest liar with poor credibility with 100% feedback on here, ebay, thebench, blowout, scf and sports card arena. You're a real moron. Why don't you go insult more dead players. Not to classy yourself.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
It was a freaking typo. The seller did not intend to price the card at one dollar. They should not feel obligated to sell it for a dollar. They should not be pressured to sell it for a dollar. We're talkin bout TYPOS here.

Richard

Members online

Latest posts