Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Blockbuster trade being talked about Yankees-Tigers-Arizona

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
vwnut13 said:
Funny isn't? Every one on hear valued Scherzer more than Jackson, but Arizona, the team who was pushing the deal gave up Scherzer and prospetcs for Jackson alone.

It seems Arizona doesn't value Scherzer as much as the fans.

Struck me as interesting too. Makes you wonder if they know something about Scherzer and his potential or if its just a win now kind of trade as it may take Scherzer a while to develop still.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
nkdbacks said:
vwnut13 said:
Funny isn't? Every one on hear valued Scherzer more than Jackson, but Arizona, the team who was pushing the deal gave up Scherzer and prospetcs for Jackson alone.

Struck me as interesting too. Makes you wonder if they know something about Scherzer and his potential or if its just a win now kind of trade as it may take Scherzer a while to develop still.

Either that or they over value Jackson.

elemin8

Aug 7, 2008
nkdbacks said:
vwnut13 said:

They are getting Kennedy Too are they not. So its Scherzer and prospects for Jackson and Kennedy. To me it seems that they are getting two SP for One SP.
Jackson and Scherzer to me are both comparable, the wild card is Kennedy.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
cgilmo said:
they over value Ian Kennedy

They were scouting him HARD in the AFL

IPK will be a fairly good NL pitcher. Atleast sufficient enough for the 4th spot in a NL rotation.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Jaypers said:
The Tigers are the only winners in this deal.

I think the Yanks win too. They get younger and more athletic and upgrade the defense while adding even more power, lefthanded power to boot, which plays up in their park. They also get Granderson at a reasonable salary, which they're not used to.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Jaypers said:

The Tigers being winners in this deal relies on AJax panning out and Scherzer continuing to improve.

If both of those happen, the Tigers dominate this trade.

If one of those two things happen, the Tigers made a good (and necessary) trade.

If neither of those two things happen, then this is a terrible trade for the Tigers.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Brett Keith said:
Jaypers said:

I think the Yanks win too. They get younger and more athletic and upgrade the defense while adding even more power, lefthanded power to boot, which plays up in their park. They also get Granderson at a reasonable salary, which they're not used to.

Granderson will put up BIG numbers in Yankee stadium....

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
Who is the lefty man out of the pen? Marte?

Yankees still have Hughes, Joba, Montero, McAllister, Romine, Dunn, Buenlos (can't spell his name)....

Not a huge fan of Granderson, but I'd rather have him over Damon.

Yanks might still sign Damon as a DH.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
vwnut13 said:
cgilmo said:
they over value Ian Kennedy

They were scouting him HARD in the AFL

IPK will be a fairly good NL pitcher. Atleast sufficient enough for the 4th spot in a NL rotation.

Jackson had a great first half in a tough league/division.

He is better than Scherzer for the NL West and should provide a solid #3 starter since Doug Davis is gone too.

Kennedy will be the #4-5 starter if he is healthy.

Good move by DBacks except for moving Schlereth, who was slated to be their future closer.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
ballerskrip said:
Brett Keith said:
Jaypers said:

Granderson will put up BIG numbers in Yankee stadium....

He's pretty darn good in the field too. Definitely an all-around upgrade over Damon.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
True, I forgot the AL-NL West move. Should make both statistically better. The more I think about it, the more decent it is. It's a lot of what-if's, but that goes both ways (Scherzer is quite injury prone I believe).
A Webb-Haren-Jackson rotation sounds like it could be top notch.
Though we also need to replace Schlereth now.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Jaypers said:

The Tigers being winners in this deal relies on AJax panning out and Scherzer continuing to improve.

If both of those happen, the Tigers dominate this trade.

If one of those two things happen, the Tigers made a good (and necessary) trade.

If neither of those two things happen, then this is a terrible trade for the Tigers.

Schlereth is going to be the real deal too, IMO.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Red Sox fans now think the Tigers are giving their players away.

One on the RedSox forum suggested a

Casey Kotchman/Lars Anderson, Manny Del Carmen and Michael Bowden
for
Miguel Cabrera and Justin Verlander

I really hope that it was a joke, but then again...

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
jdacunha said:
Who is the lefty man out of the pen? Marte?

Yankees still have Hughes, Joba, Montero, McAllister, Romine, Dunn, Buenlos (can't spell his name)....

Not a huge fan of Granderson, but I'd rather have him over Damon.

Yanks might still sign Damon as a DH.

Montero, Romine, Dunn, McAllister, Banuelos, Claggett (if he can prove what he was two years ago), Hughes, and Igawa ~.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
vwnut13 said:
Red Sox fans now think the Tigers are giving their players away.

One on the RedSox forum suggested a

Casey Kotchman/Lars Anderson, Manny Del Carmen and Michael Bowden
for
Miguel Cabrera and Justin Verlander

I really hope that it was a joke, but then again...

Not surprising. You are talking about $5 mil a year versus 20 Mil between those two deals.

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
This is a TREMENDOUS deal for the Yankees.

Curtis Granderson, despite hitting under .200 against lefties, smacked 30 HR and stole 20 bases last year. The dimensions of the new Yankee Stadium should account for at least a 15 point raise in his batting average and perhaps a spike in his power numbers, which are already among the best in the league for a top-of-the-order type guy. He's also a tremendous upgrade in the field.

As for who the Yankees gave up - Austin Jackson may or may not pan out. As a die-hard Yankees fan for 30-plus years, I've seen my share of can't-miss prospects fall by the wayside - Gerald Williams, Roberto Kelly, Hensley Muelens, etc. As for Ian Kennedy, the guy has been a bust every time he pitched since that little taste we got towards the end of 2007. He may amount to something, but he would never have got the chance with the Yankees. Lastly, Phil Coke is a situational reliever who can easily be replaced.

Granderson should be good for .265 31 HR 85 RBI 28 SB and 120 runs scored in 2010.

Now, with all the money the Yankees will save by not having to re-sign both Damon and Matsui, they can pick up a #3 or 4 starting pitcher or a decent bullpen guy.

Now, they could really do something great and bypass Damon and Matsui altogether, and sign Holliday or Bay.

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
If you are a Yankee fan and you do not like this deal you are CRAZY. Granderson is about as good as it gets in numerous aspects of the game. Aside from being an all star lead-off hitter with huge power and speed, he is one of the best club house guys in the game. Granderson is one of the coolest guys around and will fit perfectly in pinstrips andwill belt plenty of homeruns down that short porch, if you value Austin Jackson over Curtis Granderson you are crazy; and I am huge on Jackson.