Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Buying/Selling cards on the boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
chashawk said:
js0000001 said:
Do cards sell for less then eBay generally?
they should at least slightly, because you are avoiding fees

eBay prices are already so low though :/

I think I would rather pay the 10-15% in fees just to get the exposure

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
well if you have a really hot item Ebay would probably be the way to go.. if its something that will sell low on Ebay save the fee's and sell it a bit cheaper here if you can.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
js0000001 said:
chashawk said:
js0000001 said:

I'm not sure I follow you here...since this isn't an auction house, exposure doesn't directly affect price.

When I sell here, if I don't have a specific price in mind that I want, I go to eBay and average the prices of completed listings, then subtract 5%-10% to get the off-eBay price.

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
js0000001 said:
chashawk said:
js0000001 said:

I'm not sure I follow you here...since this isn't an auction house, exposure doesn't directly affect price.

When I sell here, if I don't have a specific price in mind that I want, I go to eBay and average the prices of completed listings, then subtract 5%-10% to get the off-eBay price.

I only rarely buy or sell on the boards (as you can see from my feedback) but I often hear people say 10% less then eBay is a fair MB price for card X.

The problem is that eBay prices (especially this time of year) are so low I can't imagine selling anything that cheap.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
js0000001 said:
The problem is that eBay prices (especially this time of year) are so low I can't imagine selling anything that cheap.

And thats the great thing about your cards, you dont have to sell them! ;)

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
chashawk said:
js0000001 said:

This statement always bothers me. How do MY fees effect the price of the card for the seller?? I mean you still pay $XX for a card regardless of MY fees.

I sell for prices that are similar to Ebay, if not the same. I charge appropriately for shipping and I discount for lots. I never sell for less because "saving Fees". Its not the buyer's concern on Ebay and therefore its not the buyer's concern off Ebay.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
jumbojohnny said:
chashawk said:
js0000001 said:

This statement always bothers me. How do MY fees effect the price of the card for the seller?? I mean you still pay $XX for a card regardless of MY fees.

I sell for prices that are similar to Ebay, if not the same. I charge appropriately for shipping and I discount for lots. I never sell for less because "saving Fees". Its not the buyer's concern on Ebay and therefore its not the buyer's concern off Ebay.

I absolutely agree with you, but there is an "expectation" that by selling off ebay you have to give up your fees. There are a few other things to consider. The buyer won't get ebay bucks buying directly from you. They won't get points on their credit card if they pay you by paypal gift. They won't get ebates or bigcrumbs when buying direct from you. I made a compromise with Wes Yee on 5 Strasburg Refractor Autos from 2010 BC because of those points. I didn't give up my ebay fees, but I compromised when these items were brought up. Fair points to keep in mind.

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
BowmanChromeAddict said:
jumbojohnny said:
chashawk said:
js0000001 said:

I absolutely agree with you, but there is an "expectation" that by selling off ebay you have to give up your fees. There are a few other things to consider. The buyer won't get ebay bucks buying directly from you. They won't get points on their credit card if they pay you by paypal gift. They won't get ebates or bigcrumbs when buying direct from you. I made a compromise with Wes Yee on 5 Strasburg Refractor Autos from 2010 BC because of those points. I didn't give up my ebay fees, but I compromised when these items were brought up. Fair points to keep in mind.

All true points, but the moment a buyer "expects" this discount, is the moment I refuse to discount a damn thing. Dont come at me making demands or expecting something for nothing. I dont cry about getting a card I want for Ebay prices if I got it here for that price. Hell I actually offer to pay Ebay prices and sometimes more depending on the card or condition...I NEVER EXPECT a discount from anybody. Iwill counter offer a price if I feel its too high, but I never tell them to discount me for FEES.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
js0000001 said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
js0000001 said:
chashawk said:
js0000001 said:

I only rarely buy or sell on the boards (as you can see from my feedback) but I often hear people say 10% less then eBay is a fair MB price for card X.

Ah, I see what you mean. I agree, it's not the best time to sell a lot of things. The offseason is certainly a buyer's market for most players' cards.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
I have seen many people trying to sell stuff here for much more than ebay which is pretty funny. Someone was trying to sell a 07 BC Lincy auto bgs 9 for more $ than the last 9.5 went for.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
jumbojohnny said:
chashawk said:
js0000001 said:

It doesn't make sense to me either. Basically, the seller isn't getting any kind of benefit from it while the buyer gets all the benefit. On ebay or on here, the seller is still losing that money regardless while on here, the buyer will spend less money for the card. I would think somewhere in between would make sense. Then again, I don't think it makes sense to pay ebay prices if I'm not on ebay anyway.

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
I always hear people say "Why should I pay LCS prices when eBay is less?" or the same for going to card shows. So why pay eBay prices if I can get it on the boards for 10% less? When does it end?

Members online