Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dan Haren Traded To The Angels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saferseas

Mar 9, 2010
Portland, OR
Def a good trade for us. Not having John Lackey has been the difference between this year and last year, i believe......so Haren is a huge plus.

Although, it wouldn't be too terrible for the D-Backs if Joe Saunders starts inducing mad amounts of groundballs like he did in '08 and '09. His numbers were solid then.

Jan 15, 2009
SamHell said:
Yahoo is saying the 3rd player is
Patrick Corbin
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=A ... ondbackstr
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... rbin001pat

As a Rangers fan I don't like to see the Angels getting stronger so I don't like this trade. :lol:
We will see how Haren can make it through AL lineups. His habit of giving up the longball may not play so well in the AL.
We already know the third player, it is the PTBNL that we don't know...check the first post.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
AKA Coastal said:
D-Backs shed 30million. Don't forget that.

I think it's 2 at 12.5 and a 15 team option. I looked it up the other day and I mean, that's pretty decent price for Haren. I think the names that fell in that group were Ryan Dempster and Bronson Arroyo.

I guess the D-backs backloaded the contract because they just didn't want him, but it's still a decent price for a very good pitcher. I don't think anyone would really complain about Haren's contract as a sticking point. It's not like Oswalt's 15/16/16 contract.

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
I love this trade! I think the Angels will be a great fit for him. I was pretty nervous he was going to end up with the Cardinals and I was at the point that if he did I would stop collecting, so I am really glad the Angels got him. Now lets see if he return can to form and get them to the playoffs.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
Angels pitching prospect Tyler Skaggs is going to be the player to be named later sent to the Diamondbacks in the Dan Haren trade, reports Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic.
The Angels, according to Piecoro, were reluctant to include him, but it seems like the least they could do after fleecing Arizona for Haren. Skaggs was Los Angeles' eighth-best prospect heading into the season, according to Baseball America. The 40th overall pick of the 2009 draft is tall and projectable and looks at this point like a future mid-rotation pitcher. The 18-year-old is 8-4 with a 3.61 ERA in 82.1 innings for Single-A Cedar Rapids this year.
Source: Nick Piecoro on Twitter

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
skaggs is a good prospect but hardly a deal breaker for me due to the fact that the angels are fairly well stocked with young arms (richards, chatwood, martinez, reckling, etc.)

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I'd rather have skaggs than nova! hah.

Anyways, I don't know how the Angels got this done. I mean, there are only two pitchers that are pretty much guaranteed aces on the market. It's also kinda awesome that it's the AL WEST not AL EAST that's stocking up on talent.

Haren's velocity dropped two years ago, but he went through all of last year with the same velocity that he's had this year. I feel like MLB knows something about Haren that I don't.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
Looks like a good deal for the Angels. Gave up a #4 or 5 starter, and some prospects(no premium ones) for a fringe #1 or solid #2 starter with couple of years at reasonable cost on his contract. Definitely paid less than the Rangers did for Lee. Lee is a better pitcher but we only get to keep him for 3 months plus we lost Smoak to a division rival. It helps the Angels this year but I'm not sure it pulls them even with the Rangers who should have a 7 game lead after tonight(We have blown bigger leads before.) The big plus is the next two years. Angels have a solid 1-2-3 in their rotation and the Rangers are back to where they were during the Angels division run: Great offense but weak starting pitching. I'm curious to hear what Angels fans think.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
I'm with what seems to be the majority...the Angels got quite a deal.

Looking at Haren, I expect him to be a nice #2 for them, and they gave up seriously next to nothing, really. I cannot understand how the Dbacks were asking the Tigers for Oliver/Turner plus a player or 2 probably, yet they take this package from the Angels. I mean LOL.

They traded Haren too soon in my opinion, it just seems like this should have been the absolute last package they accept-like if it was hours before the deadline, and there were no other offers to take. Just kind of a head scratcher for me, why not wait a couple more days?

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
hail2thevictors said:

Looking at Haren, I expect him to be a nice #2 for them, and they gave up seriously next to nothing, really. I cannot understand how the Dbacks were asking the Tigers for Oliver/Turner plus a player or 2 probably, yet they take this package from the Angels. I mean LOL.

They traded Haren too soon in my opinion, it just seems like this should have been the absolute last package they accept-like if it was hours before the deadline, and there were no other offers to take. Just kind of a head scratcher for me, why not wait a couple more days?

the d'backs wanted to move the salary more than anything, perhaps detroit didn't want to be on the hook for the entire contract thus the higher asking price?

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Halonut said:
hail2thevictors said:

the d'backs wanted to move the salary more than anything, perhaps detroit didn't want to be on the hook for the entire contract thus the higher asking price?

If that's the case, Houston's in trouble. Saunders is 4M coming off the books this year, I'd imagine. There's no way in hell they go to arbitration with him. Corbin's probably at the height of his value, as he's posted really good K:BB numbers since the promotion but he's still a while away and you get the feeling that a lot of things can go wrong on his way to the bigs. Rodriguez, despite having a name that sounds like a flame-throwing import, couldn't strike out your mom.

This is just a really, really, really bad trade.

If Houston is trying to dump salary like ARI, they could've probably expected a high-a mediocre-to-good prospect using Arizona's negotiating skills.

As a Jays fan, I would've been comfortable with them trading away a pretty good prospect and low-A arms for Haren and we're not even contending.

Members online

Latest posts