Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dilferules's 1988-present Oakland A's autograph thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA

29 new A's in 2007! A rebuilding process was beginning.

bartondaric08ttriplegoldrc.jpgDaric Barton - Played 8 years for Oakland and had a great 2010 but other than that was injured and/or ineffective.

blevinsjerry08spx.jpgJerry Blevins - Reliever had a 13-year career, 7 of those in Oakland. Looked like a string bean.

bowenron03dchampauto.jpgRob Bowen - Effective backup catcher for half a season and ineffective backup catcher for one season.

bradendallas07exqbioauto10.jpgDallas Braden - He was a decent starter of course most known for his 2010 perfect game. He was finished soon after that due to injuries and went on to become a broadcaster. Really really loves his hometown of Stockton.

brownandrew03spx.jpgAndrew Brown - Reliever was okay for Oakland in 2007 and 2008 then was never heard from again.

browndee01autographics.jpgDee Brown - Unfortunately not the NBA slam dunk contest winner, this is the former Royals outfielder who finished up with 8 games for the A's.

bucktravis07sweetgloveblackauto.jpgTravis Buck - Prospect had a good showing in 2007 then never quite put it together in a further 5 MLB seasons.

custjack08stadbeamauto.jpgJack Cust - Ahead of his time, seemingly all he did was strike out and hit homers. Not enough homers to stick around more than 4 seasons, though.

davanonjeff02ttsigmoves.jpgJeff DaVanon - Played the last 26 games of his career with the A's.

dinardolenny02bbest.jpgLenny DiNardo - Spent parts of 2 years in Oakland but it felt like 10.

Continued in next post.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
2007 (continued)

lugoruddy08udink.jpgRuddy Lugo - Pitched a half season of mediocre relief for the A's but I guess UD was real desperate to get rid of some sticker autos so they made this card. Glad they did!

marshalljay07spletterautos.jpgJay Marshall - Rule 5 pick had to stay in the majors all year despite his 6.43 ERA. This was not worth it as his only remaining MLB experience would be a 14.73 ERA in 10 games for the 2009 team.

melillokevin05bcgoldrefauto.jpgKevin Melillo - Made it into a single MLB game as a pinch hitter and walked. Career 1.000 OBP!

meyerdan05ultsig.jpgDan Meyer - Final piece of the Tim Hudson trade, he sucked as bad as the rest and had ERAs of 8.82 and 7.48 in his two years on the team.

piazzamike15stadtrueauto.jpgMike Piazza - I pulled this 2015 Stadium Club auto 1/5 from a box, so that's my Piazza autograph! All of his autos are expensive so it's not really worth it to sell and "downgrade" to an easier one, plus I have nice memories of pulling this great card.

putnamdanny07exqngautogold.jpgDanny Putnam - 2004 first round pick only made it into 11 MLB games. Though of course he has tons of auto cards because, baseball cards.

ramirezerasmo00bowauto.jpgErasmo Ramirez - Pitched 3 innings for the team and gave up zero runs.

robertsonconnor07exqbioauto15.jpgConnor Robertson - Pitched 3 games for the A's and 6 for the D-Backs and that was it.

snellingchris02bcrefauto.jpgChris Snelling - Hit .350 in 6 games for the A's.

stewartshannon05skyautojsy.jpgShannon Stewart - Played one season for the A's, did not get any A's autos.

Continued in the next post.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
2007 (concluded)

suzukikurt07sweetautogold.jpgKurt Suzuki - A's starting catcher from his debut in 2007 to mid-season 2012 when he was shipped to the Nationals. Solid player.

walkertodd97selectauto.jpgTodd Walker - He played his final 18 games for the 2007 A's. Looks like he got a 2007 Upper Deck A's card, guess I should pick it up, never knew about it before.

Missing:
Alan Embree - Spent two seasons of his long career with the A's. Have one incoming.
JJ Furmaniak - Have one incoming.
Jack Hannahan* - Played two and a hald seasons with the A's, I have an auto in my long-delayed COMC shipment.
Ryan Langerhans - 2 game A's career, have an auto incoming.
Colby Lewis* - Have a Just auto at COMC.
Don/Donnie Murphy - Remember his tenure but he got no cards out of it.
Kevin Thompson - Former Yankee played 9 games for the A's.

That's 22/29 for 2007 and 236/378 1988-2007.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
How am I just now seeing this? Great stuff!

Thanks! Looks like I will be about 200 short when I get through updating everything so I'm not near a lot of the great team autograph collectors on this board, but I've at least got a place to start from now.

Got my first addition in today, Stan Javier on a 1987 Topps card:

javierstan.jpg

That puts me at 237/378 for 1988-2007. I'll try to add some more tomorrow, already gathered the cards for 2008-2011 (and I did pretty well for those years), just need to scan and edit them all.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA

24 new A's in 2008.

baisleyjeff09udgoudeyauto.jpgJeff Baisley - Made it into 14 games in 2008 and never got back to the majors.

brownemil99spsig.jpgEmil Brown - Played one season for the A's right at replacement level.

cunninghamaaron08bcorangerefauto.jpgAaron Cunningham - A little bit of a prospect who spent parts of 5 seasons in the majors but never stuck.

davisrajai03bcrefauto.jpgRajai Davis - Picked up on waivers and had a decent 3-year run with the team, stealing 116 bases.

denorfiachris05ultsig.jpgChris Denorfia - Picked up in a 2007 pre-season trade but was injured the entire season, and ended up playing only 33 games for the A's 2008-09. Later had some solid years with the Padres.

devinejoey10toppspeakauto.jpgJoey Devine - Another frequently injured guy, had a great 2008 season with a 0.59 ERA in 45.2 relief innings (actually placed 6th in ROY voting), was injured all of 2009 and 2010, and was decent in a 2011 partial season but that was it for his career.

fiorentinojeff04spauto.jpgJeff Fiorentino - All time A's batting leader with a 1.000 average (1 hit in 1 at bat).

gallaghersean06bowauto.jpgSean Gallagher - Picked up as the main piece in the Rich Harden trade with the Cubs, was an absolute dud in parts of 2 seasons before being shipped to the Padres.

gonzalezcarlos08spxauto.jpgCarlos Gonzalez - Played one season for the A's and wasn't that good, then was sent to the Rockies in the ill-fated Matt Holliday trade...where he made 3 all-star teams and won 3 gold gloves.

gonzalezgio09therautored.jpgGio Gonzalez - Spent the first 4 seasons of a solid 13-year career with the A's.

Continued in next post.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
2008 (continued)

hernandezfernando08sweetauto50.jpgFernando Hernandez - 3 MLB games for Fernando.

murtonmatt03bcxfauto.jpgMatt Murton - Appeared in 9 games for the A's, racking up a negative 28 OPS+.

outmanjosh10tagauto.jpgJosh Outman - Had high hopes for him he appeared in parts of 3 seasons and wasn't terrible at all, but ended up getting traded to the Rockies.

pattersoneric04eliteauto.jpgEric Patterson - Had uneventful parts of 3 seasons with the A's.

penningtoncliff05bcredrefauto.jpgCliff Pennington - 2005 number one pick was the A's starting shortstop for three and a half seasons. I liked him but honestly he was just so-so. Lasted in the majors until 2018 as a utility infielder.

petitgregorio09udink.jpgGregorio Petit - Middle infielder bounced between the majors and minors with various teams until 2018. Hit .348 in 23 2008 at bats.

smithgreg08spjsyautogold.jpgGreg Smith - Starting pitcher the entire 2008 season did alright, but his entire MLB career other than that was 8 poor starts for the 2010 Rockies.

sweeneymike00autographics.jpgMike Sweeney - Spent one season with the A's late in his career and wasn't a favorite of hardcore A's fans because he took up playing time that could have gone to youngsters during a losing season.

sweeneyryan03udppauto.jpgRyan Sweeney - The other Sweeney. I liked him but he didn't hit well enough to overcome his total lack of power for an outfielder in his 4 seasons with the team.

Missing:
Wes Bankston - He has a Just minor league auto, I'll grab that or an uncertified A's card.
Brooks Conrad - Does have an A's card in 2008 Bowman Draft.
Dana Eveland* - Have a Brewers auto at COMC.
Jeff Gray - Has a 2009 Bowman Draft A's card.
Brad Zielger - Since he's a card collector it's interesting he has very few certified autos. I've got an uncertified A's auto incoming.

19/24 for 2008, 256/402 overall 1988-2008.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA

25 new A's in 2009.

andersonbrett09bcautored.jpgBrett Anderson - I have a huge Brett Anderson collection, I really was into the Anderson/Cahill/Gio trio.

baileyandrew09tcredrefauto.jpgAndrew Bailey - The 2009 AL ROY had his career derailed by injuries after three excellent seasons as the A's closer.

breslowcraig06tcblackauto.jpgCraig Breslow - Majored in molecular biophysics and biochemistry at Yale and went on to a 12-year MLB career. He was durable and good during his three seasons with the A's. Current Cubs Assistant GM.

cahilltrevor07bcredref.jpgTrevor Cahill - Like Brett Anderson, I have a huge Cahill collection. Pretty good in his 3 years with the A's.

cameronkevin07ultraauto.jpgKevin Cameron - Pitched the last 11 games of his career for the A's.

everidgetommy04spauto.jpgTommy Everidge - Didn't do much in his 24-game MLB career but went on to coach in the A's system.

hairstonscott02bbestauto.jpgScott Hairston - Received in a trade with the Padres, sucked in a half season, traded back to the Padres.

hollidaymatt09ttriplejsyauto.jpgMatt Holliday - Yes a rare A's Matt Holliday autograph. Was good during his half season but not as good as he was on the Rockies or Cardinals. The A's gave up Carlos Gonzalez and Huston Street for him, but received 3 guys that ended up doing nothing when they traded him to St. Louis.

kennedyadam99justauto.jpgAdam Kennedy - He was alright during his one A's season.

mazzarovin11t60auto.jpgVin Mazzaro - Prospect never made it as a starter but did have one good year as a reliever with the Pirates.

Continued in next post.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
2009 (continued)

meloanjon08finauto.jpgJon Meloan - Had a zero ERA with 11 K's in 8.1 innings for the A's but never made it back to the majors.

mortsensenclayton07bcauto.jpgClayton Mortensen - Pitched 7 games over 2 seasons with the A's.

munsoneric00bowauto.jpgEric Munson - Played a single game for the A's at the end of his career.

powelllandon05fingoldrefauto.jpgLandon Powell - A's backup catcher for 3 years, started out okay for a backup but got worse each season.

reinekechad07bcauto.jpgChad Reineke - Started a single game for the A's, giving up 4 earned runs in 5 innings. Could have been worse, I guess.

rodriguezhenry08bcorangerefauto.jpgHenry Rodriguez - Fireballing relief prospect could never quite harness his stuff but did strike out 151 in 150.1 career MLB innings over 6 seasons.

springerruss06leafsige.jpgRuss Springer - Pitched 48 games of his long career with the A's. He wasn't that bad but got released midseason.

tomkobrett98donsig.jpgBrett Tomko - Went 4-1 with a 2.95 ERA in 6 A's starts.

wuertzmichael04lcertredauto.jpgMichael Wuertz - Reliever was with the A's for 3 seasons: the first one was good, second was bad, third was horrid, then his career was through.

Missing:
Orlando Cabrera* - I have one in my very late COMC shipment.
Matt Carson - Have one incoming.
Nomar Garciaparra - I'll need to grab a certified auto of him, they aren't THAT expensive.
Dan Giese - Pitched 7 games for the A's to finish up his career.
Edgar Gonzalez - Has several D-Backs autos, just have to wait for one at my price.
Brad Kilby - 1.07 ERA in 16 A's appearances 2009-10 but didn't appear in pro ball after that. Must have gotten injured.

19/25 for 2009 and 275/427 1988-2009.

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
2008 (continued)

View attachment 135666Fernando Hernandez - 3 MLB games for Fernando.

View attachment 135667Matt Murton - Appeared in 9 games for the A's, racking up a negative 28 OPS+.

View attachment 135668Josh Outman - Had high hopes for him he appeared in parts of 3 seasons and wasn't terrible at all, but ended up getting traded to the Rockies.

View attachment 135669Eric Patterson - Had uneventful parts of 3 seasons with the A's.

View attachment 135670Cliff Pennington - 2005 number one pick was the A's starting shortstop for three and a half seasons. I liked him but honestly he was just so-so. Lasted in the majors until 2018 as a utility infielder.

View attachment 135671Gregorio Petit - Middle infielder bounced between the majors and minors with various teams until 2018. Hit .348 in 23 2008 at bats.

View attachment 135672Greg Smith - Starting pitcher the entire 2008 season did alright, but his entire MLB career other than that was 8 poor starts for the 2010 Rockies.

View attachment 135673Mike Sweeney - Spent one season with the A's late in his career and wasn't a favorite of hardcore A's fans because he took up playing time that could have gone to youngsters during a losing season.

View attachment 135674Ryan Sweeney - The other Sweeney. I liked him but he didn't hit well enough to overcome his total lack of power for an outfielder in his 4 seasons with the team.

Missing:
Wes Bankston - He has a Just minor league auto, I'll grab that or an uncertified A's card.
Brooks Conrad - Does have an A's card in 2008 Bowman Draft.
Dana Eveland* - Have a Brewers auto at COMC.
Jeff Gray - Has a 2009 Bowman Draft A's card.
Brad Zielger - Since he's a card collector it's interesting he has very few certified autos. I've got an uncertified A's auto incoming.

19/24 for 2008, 256/402 overall 1988-2008.
A comment I never thought I'd type. I'm from a small town, Odessa, MO. And went to a small college, University of Central Missouri (UCM). In this one post by @Dilferules he posted about Josh Outman, University of Central Missouri alum and Brad Ziegler a graduate of Odessa, MO HS!

Prior to these two players probably the most famous people from each were: former MLB pitcher Darold Knowles owned Darold Knowles Liquors in Odessa. I have no idea how he ended up with a store in Odessa he never played for the KC A's or Royals and Jim Crane 1976 graduate of the University of Central Missouri, CMSU, now UCM and owner of the Houston Astros.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA

21 new A's in 2010.

bonserboof02ttsigmoves.jpgBoof Bonser - Pitched the final 13 games of his career with the 2010 A's. That's a Hall of Fame name, at least.

crispcoco19tarchsig11ther.jpgCoco Crisp - Coco spent six and a half seasons as an A's fan favorite. He didn't have any A's certified autos until they put him in an Archives buyback set.

donaldsonjosh10bcautogoldref.jpgJosh Donaldson - Yep he originally came up as a catcher in 2010, then stuck as a third baseman in 2012. Clashed with Billy Beane in 2014 then just happened to be traded that offseason in a horrible deal. Immediately won the AL MVP with Toronto.

grossgabe04spusasig.jpgGabe Gross - Played the final season of his career in Oakland.

hermidajeremy02udprosauto.jpgJeremy Hermida - If you collected cards nearly 20 years ago you can remember how lava-hot his stuff was at one time. The A's were one of his stops when he was bouncing around trying to regain the magic.

iwamuraakinori07boworangeauto.jpgAkinori Iwamura - Played the final 10 games of his MLB career for Oakland and hit .129 before going back to Japan for three seasons.

jacksonconor04bowauto.jpgConor Jackson - Between him and Hermida the A's were stocking up on former superprospects in 2010. He stuck around for parts of 2 seasons as a 4th outfielder but wasn't very good.

jamesjustin03udprosauto.jpgJustin James - 5 games for Oakland in 2010 were his entire MLB career.

kouzmanoffkevin07tcredrefauto.jpgKevin Kouzmanoff - A's starting third baseman for a season and a half, I always thought he kinda sucked but some people liked him.

larishjeff03usajsyauto.jpgJeff Larish - Hit .175 in 24 games with Oakland to finish his MLB career.

Continued in next post.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
A comment I never thought I'd type. I'm from a small town, Odessa, MO. And went to a small college, University of Central Missouri (UCM). In this one post by @Dilferules he posted about Josh Outman, University of Central Missouri alum and Brad Ziegler a graduate of Odessa, MO HS!

Prior to these two players probably the most famous people from each were: former MLB pitcher Darold Knowles owned Darold Knowles Liquors in Odessa. I have no idea how he ended up with a store in Odessa he never played for the KC A's or Royals and Jim Crane 1976 graduate of the University of Central Missouri, CMSU, now UCM and owner of the Houston Astros.

Man there must be some weird connection between the A's and that town since Knowles was a reliever for the 1970's A's dynasty teams.

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
Man there must be some weird connection between the A's and that town since Knowles was a reliever for the 1970's A's dynasty teams.
I agree. It's amazing how many former Royals you have on your lists. And, if you went back to the 1960's you would have the KC A's.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
2010 (continued)

ramirezedwar07t52auto.jpgEdwar Ramirez - Pitched the final 7 games of his career with the A's.

rosalesadam11bplatjsyauto.jpgAdam Rosales - Utility man played parts of 5 seasons with the A's. In one ten day stretch in 2013 the Rangers picked him up waivers from the A's, then the A's re-picked him up from the Rangers on waivers, then the Rangers re-re-picked him up on waivers from the A's.

rosstyson10tcrefauto.jpgTyson Ross - Was mostly bad for the A's in three years, then went to the Padres and ran off 3 good seasons.

sheetsben05ultsigdecades.jpgBen Sheets - The A's took a chance on Sheets coming back from injury and he had a 4.53 ERA in 20 starts, so not a total disaster and not a success, just kinda there. But it gave me an excuse to pick up another 2005 Ultimate Signature card.

sogarderic11tcgoldauto.jpgEric Sogard - Fan favorite for six seasons in Oakland and still playing in the majors as of 2021.

tollesonsteven06bherauto.jpgSteve Tolleson - Played 25 games for the A's and hit .286, then bounced between various MLB teams and the minor leagues for several more years. Fantastic signature.

Missing:
Cedrick Bowers - Has a few '90s cards from when he was a Rays prospect.
Chris Carter - Big home run hitter has no certified MLB autos, but does have a few from the minors. Not to be confused with the white Chris Carter or the football Cris Carter.
Bobby Cramer - Pitched 9 games for the 2010-11 A's but did get an A's card in 2011 Topps Heritage. Bit of a tough signature.
Jake Fox - Have a 2003 UD Prospects auto incoming.
Ross Wolf - Pitched 11 of his 47 career games with the A's. Has a 2007 Topps '52 card with the Marlins.

16/21 for 2010 and 291/448 overall 1988-2010.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA

22 new A's in 2011.

allenbrandon10bcauto.jpgBrandon Allen - The A's had high hopes for Allen but he just couldn't hit and was out of the majors after 2012.

balfour13ttierauto.jpgGrant Balfour - A's closer was memorable for screaming profanities while pitching.

carignanandrew12tgoldenauto.jpgAndrew Carignan - Pitched 17 career games in relief but got a few Topps autograph cards.

dejesusdavid11tagauto.jpgDavid DeJesus - Another former Royal. His one season in Oakland was an off one.

delossantos08bcorangerefauto.jpgFautino de los Santos - They goofed and called him Faustino on his 2008 Bowman Chrome cards. Pitched 40 games for the 2011-12 A's and never made it back to the majors.

fuentesbrian04udprosigs.jpgBrian Fuentes - Not a fan favorite, he had a mediocre 2011 and an abominable 2012 before getting the boot, while being paid $5 million a year, which is a lot by A's standards.

larocheandy05bcauto.jpgAndy LaRoche - Hey it's another former top prospect. Was basically replacement level for 40 games with the team.

magnusontrystan07eliteauto.jpgTrystan Magnuson - 9 games for the 2011 A's was his entire career.

mccarthybrandon12tttjsyautoemerald.jpgBrandon McCarthy - Had two good seasons in Oakland but was never really as good after being hit in the head by a batted ball in a very scary incident. Owns the distinction of having retired with 69 wins and a 4.20 ERA.

purceydavid05bherauto.jpgDavid Purcey - Was pretty good in 9 relief appearances for the A's before being traded.

Continued in next post.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
2011 (continued)

sizemorescott15toppsauto.jpgScott Sizemore - Had a decent 2011 then was plagued by injuries. Did not have any A's autographs until this card was released in 2015...2 years after he was last with the team and after he had his last MLB at bat for the Yankees in 2014.

taylormichael08eliteauto.jpgMichael Taylor - He was supposed to be good but couldn't hit at the major league level. Not the same Michael Taylor as the Nationals/Royals outfielder.

weeksjemile12ttierautojwgold1.jpgJemile Weeks - Ugh, the one guy I totally bought into at the peak, buying gold refractors and such because I was sure he would be the A's second baseman for years to come. He was not. I can get his cards a lot cheaper now, though?

willinghamjosh08udgoudeyauto.jpgJosh Willingham - Hit 29 homers for the 2011 A's then left as a free agent.

Missing:
Bruce Billings - Have one incoming.
Graham Godfrey - Have one incoming.
Hideki Matsui - Played one season for the A's but his only A's card is in Topps Attax. Have to assume their card deal had run out with him and Attax was made under a different blanket license.
Jai Miller - Have a Just auto incoming.
Guillermo Moscoso - Started 21 games for the 2011 team and wasn't half-bad but got no A's cards.
Jordan Norberto - Pitched 45 games for the 2011-12 A's but has no A's cards.
Anthony Recker - Have one incoming.
Neil Wagner - Pitched 6 games for the 2011 A's, no MLB cards.

14/22 for 2011, 305/470 overall 1988-2011.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
No more full years being added today, but I did get an addition in the mail:

hemondscott.jpg

Scott Hemond, played parts of six seasons with the A's and was never a starter but had quite a few cards.

That brings it up to 306/470 for 1988-2011.

abide

Apr 29, 2021
Jeff Larish [2010] has exactly 1 certified MLB card and it's an auto: 2009 UD Signature Stars -IMP-JE - Impressions [AU - as a Detroit Tiger]
He appeared in 101 games over 3 seasons, mostly Tigers, 24 with the A's as you mentioned
[and it's an unadvertised short print, and a triple auto card with Pedroia /30]
he never appears in an MLB release of Topps, UD, Panini, Fleer etc otherwise, never in a flagship set, never got a Bowman card
He's got another 69 cards for Team USA [such as yours] and Just Minors, Tristar & Choice team issue, but no other MLB licensed
I have it, and didn't know what I had. Picked it up on impulse for $1 back around 2010.
I got a lot of unexpected interest, and did some research. Much to my surprise, as written above.
I don't know how many people there are in the hobby who are doing the project to have 1 licensed MLB major league card of every MLB player ever.
there certainly are a few,
my kid snagged it and sent it to COMC

Members online