Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does Edgar Martinez Belong In The Hall Of Fame?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Sly said:
spahnandsain said:
boxbreaker44 said:
No DH should ever be in the Hall.

The DH shouldn't have ever been created.

Absolutely, I know there's nothing I'd rather watch than a pitcher hitting .107 come up to bat with the bases loaded or in a clutch situation. (please note the sarcasm).

unless it's the team you are rooting against :lol:

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Not even. If he had to deal with the day to day grind of playing in the field and suffering the wear and tear of playing a regular position his numbers would not be as high as they are. Great guy and above average player but not a Hall of Famer by any means.

Tom

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
Great hitter. Just not a Hall of Famer in my opinion. For a player who was predominately a DH, they would need to post monster offensive numbers and be top 5 MVP multiple times for me to consider them a Hall of Famer (see Frank Thomas).

Alex

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Baseball-reference.com has the following hitters as closest to him:
1.Will Clark (902)
2.Todd Helton (888)
3.John Olerud (885)
4.Moises Alou (879)
5.Bobby Abreu (862)
6.Bernie Williams (860)
7.Bob Johnson (857)
8.Paul O'Neill (852)
9.Ellis Burks (850)
10.Orlando Cepeda (840) *

He also played 18 seasons which is a lot, but only averaged 24 dingers a season.

UMich92 said:
Great hitter. Just not a Hall of Famer in my opinion. For a player who was predominately a DH, they would need to post monster offensive numbers and be top 5 MVP multiple times for me to consider them a Hall of Famer (see Frank Thomas).

Alex

OhioBobcat3

Aug 7, 2008
Ohio
He did play in parts of 18 seasons, but in his first two seasons he played in a COMBINED 27 games. You might as well erase them from consideration if you are going to use his number of seasons played as a knock against him.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
OhioBobcat3 said:
NYCrulesU said:
spahnandsain said:
boxbreaker44 said:

+1, thanked.

I find this stance odd considering the guy in your sig (Palmeiro) would have NO chance at the HOF without the 430 hits and 107 homeruns he racked up as a designated hitter.

DING DING. Winner! :cool:

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Every time an "Is Martinez Hall worthy" discussion comes up, I go and browse his stats and accomplishments. The guy has a better On-Base Plus Slugging percentage than Hank Freaking Aaron... among other all-time greats.

Jul 30, 2009
OhioBobcat3 said:
NYCrulesU said:
spahnandsain said:
boxbreaker44 said:

+1, thanked.

I find this stance odd considering the guy in your sig (Palmeiro) would have NO chance at the HOF without the 430 hits and 107 homeruns he racked up as a designated hitter.

I like this stance better
Single-Ladies--Beyonce-.jpg

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
OhioBobcat3 said:
NYCrulesU said:
spahnandsain said:
boxbreaker44 said:

+1, thanked.

And because I like Palmeiro that means I have to like the DH position? That's a pretty ridiculous assessment.

I stand by my opinion that the DH should have never been used, regardless of what player I collect.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
NYCrulesU said:
And because I like Palmeiro that means I have to like the DH position? That's a pretty ridiculous assessment.

I stand by my opinion that the DH should have never been used, regardless of what player I collect.

So you believe Palmeiro should not be a Hall of Famer because without the stats he accumulated as a DH, he would not have obtained his milestones? If you continue with a stance against DHs making the Hall, you are in essence saying your favorite player is unworthy of Hall consideration.

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
sportscardtheory said:
NYCrulesU said:

So you believe Palmeiro should not be a Hall of Famer because without the stats he accumulated as a DH, he would not have obtained his milestones? If you continue with a stance against DHs making the Hall, you are in essence saying your favorite player is unworthy of Hall consideration.

I guess I have to say this again, a little more clear. I couldn't care less about the HOF and who gets in and who doesn't. It's so tainted it's beyond repair. Just as I don't care about who juiced and who didn't. Clearly, by my choice in player, I don't let those things sway my opinion of an otherwise good player. I like Raffy, always have and always will. I couldn't care about HR's and whether or not roids helps. I am a fan of the 3000 hit club. I don't care if you were taking meth, roids, crack or injected with Capt. America DNA, it takes a better than average hitter to accumalte 3000+ hits. Said player must be consistant and play for the marathon, not the sprint.

I am a fan of the 3000 hit club. Whatever anyone else does, I don't care.

Now, back to the question at hand. Should Edgar be in the HOF? No. A resounding no from me.

Side question: Do I like the DH position? No. A resounding no from me.

Not sure how much more clear I can get. Sorry that I'm not like most mook collectors that suckle at the teet of their fav. player and change their views to fit their collection. That's not who I am. I like Raffy DH, ******, steroids, finger waggle and all! :D Just because I like Raffy doesn't mean I have to like the DH, ****** or steroids. Learn to seperate the difference. Thanks

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
NYCrulesU said:
sportscardtheory said:
NYCrulesU said:

I guess I have to say this again, a little more clear. I couldn't care less about the HOF and who gets in and who doesn't. It's so tainted it's beyond repair. Just as I don't care about who juiced and who didn't. Clearly, by my choice in player, I don't let those things sway my opinion of an otherwise good player. I like Raffy, always have and always will. I couldn't care about HR's and whether or not roids helps. I am a fan of the 3000 hit club. I don't care if you were taking meth, roids, crack or injected with Capt. America DNA, it takes a better than average hitter to accumalte 3000+ hits. Said player must be consistant and play for the marathon, not the sprint.

I am a fan of the 3000 hit club. Whatever anyone else does, I don't care.

Now, back to the question at hand. Should Edgar be in the HOF? No. A resounding no from me.

Side question: Do I like the DH position? No. A resounding no from me.

Not sure how much more clear I can get. Sorry that I'm not like most mook collectors that suckle at the teet of their fav. player and change their views to fit their collection. That's not who I am. I like Raffy DH, ******, steroids, finger waggle and all! :D Just because I like Raffy doesn't mean I have to like the DH, ****** or steroids. Learn to seperate the difference. Thanks

So you only suckle at the teet of the 3,000 Hit Club and everyone else is a fool for having views that differ from yours. I get it.

OhioBobcat3

Aug 7, 2008
Ohio
NYCrulesU said:
OhioBobcat3 said:
NYCrulesU said:
spahnandsain said:
boxbreaker44 said:

+1, thanked.

Not ridiculous at all. He got the 3,000 hits and 500 homers that you admire so greatly in large part due to the DH position. It's perfectly reasonable to assume that you'd be glad he was able to take advantage of his DH opportunities to reach both milestones.

I respect your conviction to stand by your disdain for the DH given your Palmeiro collection. Just don't downplay the impact that the DH position had on his accomplishments if Raffy's career numbers are ever admonished in HOF discussions because of it.

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
OhioBobcat3 said:
NYCrulesU said:
OhioBobcat3 said:
NYCrulesU said:
spahnandsain said:
[quote="boxbreaker44":eek:cv00pkw]No DH should ever be in the Hall.

+1, thanked.

Not ridiculous at all. He got the 3,000 hits and 500 homers that you admire so greatly in large part due to the DH position. It's perfectly reasonable to assume that you'd be glad he was able to take advantage of his DH opportunities to reach both milestones.

I respect your conviction to stand by your disdain for the DH given your Palmeiro collection. Just don't downplay the impact that the DH position had on his accomplishments if Raffy's career numbers are ever admonished in HOF discussions because of it.[/quote:eek:cv00pkw]

Why some read so much into things that aren't there I'll never know. I wasn't downplaying anything. I said I can't stand the DH position and I mean it. I would rather have the pitcher bat in both leagues, as it was pre-1973 Blomberg. I couldn't care less what that woulda/coulda/shoulda meant for Raffy, Edgar, Big Hurt or any other player that's DH'd since. It's pretty simple actually. ;)

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
OhioBobcat3 said:
NYCrulesU said:
spahnandsain said:
boxbreaker44 said:

+1, thanked.

I find this odd because NO ONE brought up Palmeiro's chances at the Hall of Popular, except for you.

You might have noticed that NYCrulesU hasn't even defended the fact that Raffy used the DH to get 1/8th of his hits or 1/5th of his home run (roughly). Hell, he doesn't even mention anything about Raffy potentially being in the HOF.

I must admit though, people defending Edgar by bringing up his BA, OBP and SLG, plus OPS+ and where those stats rank amongst the greats is kind of humorous. I understand how OPS+ is glorified in the modern statistics world, but thos are not the only stats that matter for a player.

I stand by what I said earlier in the thread (that no one argued against, I must say), Edgar does not deserve to be in the HOF, plain and simple, unless the HOF is blown up and redone.

Then, he can go into the wing of the New & Improved Baseball HOF where pretty good players are, not great ones.

Members online

Latest posts