Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Evaluating your collection: How often do you do it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
I have been guilty of getting eBay-happy when new products release and find myself buying a bunch of cards of guys I like, only to realize later that I could care less about what I had picked up. I'm currently in the process of deciding what exactly I want to keep, and what is getting dumped. I have a large Chad Greenway collection, and don't think I would regret getting rid of 3/4's of the cards in it... but it's hard to talk myself into it. My willpower is complete crap, I find.

My current line of thinking is that if I sold a bunch of stuff, it would take care of a mortgage payment, or I could really take a chunk out of my student loans. It helps to have that in mind, but still doesn't make it any easier to move stuff I once wanted into the "Sell" stack.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
I do it pretty often.

My personal vow from here on in, is to only buy cards with the money made selling other cards.

My Carew, Fregosi, California Angels cards/items are untouchable, but many others have hit the block recently. Planning a large scale, 50-card selloff soon.

I don't worry about regret. Since I have begun to focus on building my personal library, I find that my desire for cards (other than additions to my Carew and Fregosi collections) is waning. With each new book purchase, it is becoming easier and easier to sell things I used to consider PC.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
I underwent a massive decluttering last year. I sold maybe 100 Oswalt cards, and I sold a lot of less desirable cards. I think the total revenue generated was over $3,000. Some sales I profited on, the majority were probably losses. I plan on selling more this year.

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
Here is the easy solution to never having to evaluate your collection...never buy something you don't want!!

I rarely buy wax and I only buy singles of the guys/team I collect for my PC. PC for me stands for "Permanent Collection."

Stick to those two basic concepts and you will never be faced with this dilemma.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Gonzaleznut said:
Here is the easy solution to never having to evaluate your collection...never buy something you don't want!!

I rarely buy wax and I only buy singles of the guys/team I collect for my PC. PC for me stands for "Permanent Collection."

Stick to those two basic concepts and you will never be faced with this dilemma.

Yeah but some folks change their minds a lot. Some just get bored. But I do agree with you and its pretty much how I collect.

rimcdonald

May 22, 2010
You guys (and the total lack of space in my collecting area) have inspired me. I'm thinking about over the next few weeks start listing a bunch of stuff FS on sportlots and ebay. Any suggestions of GU/Autos? Sell individually or as a big lot?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
rimcdonald said:
You guys (and the total lack of space in my collecting area) have inspired me. I'm thinking about over the next few weeks start listing a bunch of stuff FS on sportlots and ebay. Any suggestions of GU/Autos? Sell individually or as a big lot?

If time is not a big factor, individually is always best IMO.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
predatorkj said:
rimcdonald said:

If time is not a big factor, individually is always best IMO.

I agree. Lots usually go up to what the best card would go for, and then the rest are kind of thrown in for free. At least individually you can get a few bucks for each!

Members online

Latest posts