Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

F U FOX!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
UMich92 said:
Unfortunately, the market for cable TV doesn't exactly function well. It's a regulated monopoly. Where I live, if you want cable you have 1 choice in Comcast. Obviously, I could choose to go with DirecTV or Dish but for cable it's Comcast or nothing.

Comcrap seems to be good at those. In my area, they also have an exclusive pay-tv terrestrial franchise agreement with the city (so you won't be able to get Uverse or FIOS or others). Since I can't have a dish at the apartment, it's Comcrap or nothing. I've done an okay solution - dish at my dad's house and slingbox to my apartment.

I'm hoping Qwest launches their digital video service here - they can probably launch it since it'd use their already existing infrastructure as telco franchisee and thus won't have to get a cable franchise that will be denied by the city due to comcrap exclusivity.

Watt

Aug 16, 2008
Cleveland
I don't know if it's like this in other cities as well but I heard something on the local news saying that Dish Network was now in negotiations with Fox and if a deal wasn't made by November 1st, Fox 8 (our local station) would go off the air. So now I guess it's Cablevision and Dish ::facepalm::

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
UMich92 said:
Unfortunately, the market for cable TV doesn't exactly function well. It's a regulated monopoly. Where I live, if you want cable you have 1 choice in Comcast. Obviously, I could choose to go with DirecTV or Dish but for cable it's Comcast or nothing.

Same here with Comcast. I basically live in a hole surrounded by woods. So, no Satellite, no Fios, probably not even an antenna. It's Comcast or nothing.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Watt said:
I don't know if it's like this in other cities as well but I heard something on the local news saying that Dish Network was now in negotiations with Fox and if a deal wasn't made by November 1st, Fox 8 (our local station) would go off the air.

Deal done. DISH apparently had a smoother time with FOX and the FCC chief was bragging all over the news about how great it was that FOX and DISH were able to come up with a deal before some DISH subs lost their FOX.
DISH subs also apparently get back some of their RSNs and other fox cable programming, also.

Now that Cableblind and FOX made a deal tonight, I don't know what the lame duck congressmen are going to waste their time on since they can't bring FOX and Cableblind and DISH execs to the hill to skewer them in grandstanding committee hearings.

Members online

Latest posts