Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How many times is too much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This is an ebay (or other online site) question to ponder and comment on mostly. So, generally speaking, just how many times can one list the same item at the same price before it gets to be pathetic, or is there no point in which this can happen? Since I do the same daily search over and over and have for years, it really amazes me how many junk items just keep getting relisted, but what is even more surprising is that many of these items that catch my eye never change in price, ever!

Now I get it. Maybe there is a buyer out there at your price. Maybe that is the price you need/want and are willing to outlast the extinction of the human race to get your price, but sometimes you just have to wonder what some of these people are thinking as they list the same unsold card for the 79th time at the same price it originally listed for 6 1/2 years ago!!!

I'd love to be able to block certain items from specific sellers from ever showing up again in a search. Now that would be a new change/feature to ebay that I could get behind.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I've seen people do it for years. You have to imagine it'd be worth a discount to clear that inventory.

Same here. But if you listen to some of these sellers, even ones on these very boards, it's their card and they can do what they want with it. It doesn't mean we can't laugh at their stupidity though.

jaydub

Jun 18, 2010
Arvada, CO
As long as the seller has free listings either the monthly amount or via a special promotion I can't see why not just continue to relist.

Techniq

Jan 2, 2014
South San Francisco, CA
I'd say relisting it indefinitely is alright... Maybe it'll sell eventually, if I had 1000 things to sell, and the time, I would relist them all until they sold.

However, common sense tells you that after you relist a specific item 100 times over and it never sells... It's time for a price decrease. Better to sell it for a little less than to never sell it, IMO.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
I'd love to be able to block certain items from specific sellers from ever showing up again in a search. Now that would be a new change/feature to ebay that I could get behind.

I wish eBay offered a "Premium Membership" that included extra functionality. High on my list:

* wildcard searches
* longer search strings
* more complex search criteria
* eliminate specific items

I'd easily pay them a $20 annual fee...

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
This is an ebay (or other online site) question to ponder and comment on mostly. So, generally speaking, just how many times can one list the same item at the same price before it gets to be pathetic, or is there no point in which this can happen? Since I do the same daily search over and over and have for years, it really amazes me how many junk items just keep getting relisted, but what is even more surprising is that many of these items that catch my eye never change in price, ever!

Now I get it. Maybe there is a buyer out there at your price. Maybe that is the price you need/want and are willing to outlast the extinction of the human race to get your price, but sometimes you just have to wonder what some of these people are thinking as they list the same unsold card for the 79th time at the same price it originally listed for 6 1/2 years ago!!!

I've seen the exact same Aaron Boone cards on there for at least 5 years now. And they are cheap cards too.

I don't know if there is the option to see when it was first listed, but this one is pretty pathetic.

Is listing this card for 5 years really worth $12.00?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AARON-BOONE...Autographed_Trading_Cards&hash=item3c895c43b5

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
I do this all the time, cards take up very little space and it doesnt make a difference to me if I sell a card in 1 day or 1 year. People fail to realize that spur of the moment buyers are the best thing to happen to ebay. Female buyers are the best, they dont question price or condition all they want is a card of a certain person. More than 50% of my sales are female buyers and usually they want a card of a ball player because they think he's hot. Sounds good to me if they want to pay double the price to have the item faster than waiting for an auction to end.

Jun 30, 2010

I don't know what your presumption is about it being pathetic or not, but you can count me in for relisting medium priced to expensive cards over and over again. Relisting cheap cards over and over is not smart however.

I play the patient game, NOT the " I have to sell my card immediately game" If I relist a 100.00 card and it sits in my store for 2 years and then it sells, it has cost me only 2.40 cents to leave it in my store; a small price to pay.... And what is pathetic about that?

jaydub

Jun 18, 2010
Arvada, CO
I think this is just another case of the gap between what a seller wants and what a buyer wants. If a seller has no need to move something quick, they are more than justified listing as long as they want for as much as they want. A buyer can feel the price is too high and complain that the seller isn't realistic but in the end there's no obligation for a seller to sell at that buyer's desired price.

I'm sure most sellers here have had to deal with the tired request from buyers: "What's your lowest/best price on this?"

The obvious rational economic answer is: "As high as you are willing to pay" but of course you can't tell a buyer that.

koal

Aug 7, 2008
I do this all the time, cards take up very little space and it doesnt make a difference to me if I sell a card in 1 day or 1 year. People fail to realize that spur of the moment buyers are the best thing to happen to ebay. Female buyers are the best, they dont question price or condition all they want is a card of a certain person. More than 50% of my sales are female buyers and usually they want a card of a ball player because they think he's hot. Sounds good to me if they want to pay double the price to have the item faster than waiting for an auction to end.

nice guy, i'll make sure I add you to my favorite sellers

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
My selling philosophy is that if it's not listed, it can't sell. With this line of thinking, a lot of times I'm going to be higher (sometimes way higher) than current going rate. Sometimes going rate climbs into my sell range quickly, sometimes it takes years (and the items stay listed with stupid high BIN prices).

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
My selling philosophy is that if it's not listed, it can't sell. With this line of thinking, a lot of times I'm going to be higher (sometimes way higher) than current going rate. Sometimes going rate climbs into my sell range quickly, sometimes it takes years (and the items stay listed with stupid high BIN prices).

This. Ebays free relist is nice too. I have been able to sell things on its third round because of this. Its all a matter of when the right buyer is looking for the item. Thats my reasoning as to why I would have stuff up all the time. Cuz chances are that the right buyer would look the day after the item ends and I dont relist...

Jun 30, 2010
This. Ebays free relist is nice too. I have been able to sell things on its third round because of this. Its all a matter of when the right buyer is looking for the item. Thats my reasoning as to why I would have stuff up all the time. Cuz chances are that the right buyer would look the day after the item ends and I dont relist...

That is the reason why I relist over and over again. And generally, over time the right buyer will appear. Even as much as some here want to complain about it. They want to pick up the card at THEIR price and the seller wants to get HIS price. That is where all the disagreements start ......If we all can just agree on this point alone and don't get personal about it then things will move along much smoother...And work towards a win/win.....

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
I haven't paid any eBay listing in well over a year thanks to all the promotions they run. If it isn't costing them anything why not take a shot

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I actually will not buy from that seller at all. He seems to be a bit unreasonable, so he can sell to others and I'll buy from others. He obviously doesn't need my money and I don't need his cards.

I've seen the exact same Aaron Boone cards on there for at least 5 years now. And they are cheap cards too.

I don't know if there is the option to see when it was first listed, but this one is pretty pathetic.

Is listing this card for 5 years really worth $12.00?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AARON-BOONE-1998-U-DECK-AUTOGRAPHED-BASEBALL-CARD-JSA-/260002562997?pt=US_Autographed_Trading_Cards&hash=item3c895c43b5

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
thanks. I actually wouldn't necessarily want to block a seller as much as certain items from that seller. you never know when something good will pop up, so I don't see a need to block a seller (unless i flat out refuse to buy from one otherwise).

This is very easy to do

You have a "saved" search hopefully since you do the same search you said daily. Tab the search you want in your SAVED SEARCHES tab

Choose MORE REFINEMENTS on the left side
Choose SELLER

Then enter the specific seller to exclude from the search

Pic attached below
for the proper exclusion method

You can enter dozens of sellers to exclude if need be

exclusion.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Just looking for opinions. This is not a seller vs buyer in my eyes. To any sellers who get butt hurt from this type of comment, that was not the intent. It is obvious that sellers and buyers will not always agree on what something is worth. You may automatically assume that I am talking about something that I want to get a deal on and the seller won't budge. That is not what I am talking about. I am talking about things that are priced so far outside of the "normal" market place that the right buyer might come around once in a 5-10 year period, maybe. If it doesn't cost a seller much or nothing at all to wait it out, maybe it is worth it to them, but I still don't care to weed through all that junk. Driving the buyers away is not a good plan for any seller.

Here is one I'll use as a semi-specific example. A seller has relisted a ridiculous number of times a beat up (yes...creased, stained or otherwise damaged) 1984 Purina card for somewhere around $2. The same card can probably be found on ebay for less than half, in better condition, multiple times over. This is not a matter of me complaining about someone listing something I want and trying to get "their" price as much as it is me complaining that this stupid card shows up time after time and along with countless others that bog down my searches. Is this selfish of me? Sure, but along with all the keyword spammers and other listing issues, I spend more time weeding through listings each day, looking for things I WANT TO BUY (The goal of every seller on ebay is to find someone who wants to buy their crap!!!) than I do bidding/buying in a week. I am not sure what the "book" value is on this card in mint condition, maybe $0.25? If someone buys the card, they deserve the ridicule that should come with it, but to actually think that this card will sell for that much, in that condition and then to keep trying over and over after it doesn't??? I don't even know what to think about a seller like that.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont

And 95% of those female buyers are men who's Paypal account is in their wife's name.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
However, common sense tells you that after you relist a specific item 100 times over and it never sells... It's time for a price decrease. Better to sell it for a little less than to never sell it, IMO.

I'm in the camp a lot of those listings are for bragging/showing off. If a card is listed wtih an unreasonable price, it tells me the seller isn't needing to easily part with the card.

Ebay should eliminate free listings or have an automatic listing removal if the card is relisted once a month for a year and doesn't sell in those 12 relistings since the seller has no intention of trying to sell the card and ebay won't collect any fees since the card didn't sell.

Members online

Latest posts