Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I Wanna Clear This Up (Jeter)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
maxpower wrote:Krom wrote:maxpower wrote:Derek Jeter cannot be overrated and anyone who says different is a moron.

He is greater than any five baseball players put together. If you created a Voltron-type super player with Ted Williams for the head, Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron for the arms, and Barry Bonds and Joe DiMaggio for the legs, then gave that super player a magic bat that shoots lightning bolts, Derek Jeter would still dominate. Plus, he'd bag all those players' girlfriends/wives because he's a super cool stud.

I know this because he has FIVE RINGS! Argument over!
So by your way of thinking Jeter is better than Mays (only 1 WS champ) at batting and fielding? Jeter for sure is Overpaid.

Derek Jeter is 5x the player that Willie Mays was. And infinity times better than Ernie Banks.
That shows 1/5 the intelligence we are used to on these boards.

Lol dude he's kidding

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I would like to see any kind of proof that people "overrate" Derek Jeter. And please don't use how much money he makes. Everyone knows that what a player makes isn't comparable to how "good" he is. Show me where he is "overrated".

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
People who say that Jeter is overrated are entitled to that opinion. Jeter is currently not worth the 22 million per that he is rumored to be asking for. 10 years ago? You bet. Now, even 15 mil per is a far cry from reality. The reason that Jeter demands a lot of money from the Yankees is that he is now a Yankee Legend. He is within the talks of Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio, Mantle, etc. It boils down to what the Yankees are paying for, legend, or production. Production is he worth the cash? Nope. Is he worth the money from a legendary standpoint and keeping the tradition alive? You bet. It is all how the Yankees want to interpret this deal and right now they are leaning towards production.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
imho
overrated=give more credit than one deserves

Jeter deserves every bit of credit he has ever earned. If someone states that Jeter is the best player today, then that person is overrating him, and that person probably isn't being serious, so I doubt very much that Jeter is overrated by many. He is certainly not overrated by me, and I give him credit for what I believe he deserves.....one of the best short stops that ever lived, one of the best baseball players that ever lived (within the top 1%), character worthy, team captain, holder of many yankee and baseball records, and someone that will go down in history as one of the biggest yankee fan favorites of all time. I don't think there is too much you can say about the guy. Is he the best player today, no. Has he reached and past his prime, probably. Is he overpaid, all mlb players are overpaid.

Bottom line, Jeter is not overrated by me, nor most anyone that knows anything about baseball. He is given the credit for which he has earned and is due.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
tikitomoka said:
Thank god you were here to clear that up. America needs more voices of clarity such as yours.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down, genius. We didn't ALL figure out the cryptic message in the first post.

So, you're saying he's good?

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
maxpower said:
Derek Jeter cannot be overrated and anyone who says different is a moron.

He is greater than any five baseball players put together. If you created a Voltron-type super player with Ted Williams for the head, Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron for the arms, and Barry Bonds and Joe DiMaggio for the legs, then gave that super player a magic bat that shoots lightning bolts, Derek Jeter would still dominate. Plus, he'd bag all those players' girlfriends/wives because he's a super cool stud.

And Scott Brosius has three rings...what's your trolling point???? Brosius is better than Ted Williams and Willie Mays and Ernie Banks??

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Sly said:
maxpower said:
Derek Jeter cannot be overrated and anyone who says different is a moron.

And Scott Brosius has three rings...what's your trolling point???? Brosius is better than Ted Williams and Willie Mays and Ernie Banks??
I think Sly may be onto something!! :idea:

cartersprings

Aug 7, 2008
MN
thumbnail.aspx

I heard amazon is having a Cyber Monday deal on new ones. Some may want to check it out. ;)

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
Lancemountain said:
maxpower wrote:Krom wrote:maxpower wrote:Derek Jeter cannot be overrated and anyone who says different is a moron.

So by your way of thinking Jeter is better than Mays (only 1 WS champ) at batting and fielding? Jeter for sure is Overpaid.

Derek Jeter is 5x the player that Willie Mays was. And infinity times better than Ernie Banks.

Lol dude he's kidding

The fact that anyone could think that I was seriously arguing Derek Jeter >>>> Voltron Roidbot (w/ a Magic Bat) speaks volumes about how crazy some of the Jeter apologists actually are.

My apologies for the sarcasm fail.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
maxpower said:
Lancemountain said:

Lol dude he's kidding

The fact that anyone could think that I was seriously arguing Derek Jeter >>>> Voltron Roidbot (w/ a Magic Bat) speaks volumes about how crazy some of the Jeter apologists actually are.

The Voltron part i enjoyed, but it was hard to read sarcasm into the Jeters 5x the player than Mays because there are so many youngins on the board i can see some of them saying that.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
I love how he had one down year and everyone thinks he is all done. How many other shortstops in the A.L had 179 hits, 30 doubles 18 sb's and 67 rbi's? Yes, it was a down year for him, but it wasnt nearly as terrible a year as everyone makes itout to be.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
elmalo said:
I love how he had one down year and everyone thinks he is all done. How many other shortstops in the A.L had 179 hits, 30 doubles 18 sb's and 67 rbi's? Yes, it was a down year for him, but it wasnt nearly as terrible a year as everyone makes itout to be.
Nobody is saying he should hang it up, just that he is overpriced, and overrated (they have been saying that for years but looks more realistic nowadays)

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I like Jeter b/c he's basically Yount on a better team his whole career. Good guy, true to the organization, typifies a solid ball player that you'd want your kids to emulate. Jeter belongs with the good guys from the 80'/90's like Brett, Ripken, Gwynn, Grace, Schmidt, etc.

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
Krom said:
maxpower said:
Lancemountain said:

Lol dude he's kidding

The Voltron part i enjoyed, but it was hard to read sarcasm into the Jeters 5x the player than Mays because there are so many youngins on the board i can see some of them saying that.

Sorry for the confusion, I was just staying in character (Crazy Jeter Defender Guy). Thought saying Jeter was "infinity times better than Ernie Banks" was sufficiently over the top to give it away, but you're right... some people might actually try to make that argument with a straight face!

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Oh man do I love these Jeter threads.

sportscardtheory said:
I would like to see any kind of proof that people "overrate" Derek Jeter. And please don't use how much money he makes. Everyone knows that what a player makes isn't comparable to how "good" he is. Show me where he is "overrated".
Are you serious with this? I think Jeter is overrated, but first you have to show me your proof that he is "underrated" or even just "correctly rated."

Brett Keith said:
Arguing Jeter is like arguing religion.
This is more like it. Probably why I like these Jeter threads, as I occasionally like to inanely argue religion as well.

Members online