Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I Wanna Clear This Up (Jeter)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
I guess the real issue is, what the definition of overrated means?

If we are just talking salaries, I think all sports personalities are overrated. There isn't one baseball player that I think should be paid more than they are already making.

In terms of career stats, Jeter is defintely in the top 1% of all players to ever set foot on the field, so I don't know how someone like that could be overrated in terms of stats. Anyone that were to argue that he is not in the top 1% all time is just a fool...

There are also very few people that have even been capable to keep themselves in the good shape to play the SS position for 16 years.
There are also very few people of his caliber that can maintain a decent reputation over 16 years as Derek has done.

For those that suggest Jeter is overrated, I would love to hear of a dozen names of current players they think should be rated higher than Jeter?? Some newbie with less than 8 years in, that hasn't even stood the test of longevity? There will be very few people playing the game today besides Pujols that will be able to hold a candle to Jeter over their career.

Get Real People.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Mighty Bombjack said:
techboy42004 said:
he is nearing 3000 hits
true

techboy42004 said:
he still has 3-5 years in him...
maybe more, maybe less, we'll see

techboy42004 said:
People dont say he is the BEST ever
true, don't think I've ever heard anyone claim this

techboy42004 said:
anyone who gets 3000 hits is a great player
true again

I think he's overrated.
by who's terms? Who said what about him that you disagree? What do you rate him? Above you agree he is a great player, so how is he overrated? I would agree if someone said he is the best player who ever played the game, that one person overrated him, but generaly, i believe knowledgeable people rate him right about where he ought to be....as one of the greatest ever...definitely within the top 1% and within the top 50 players of all time.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
Sadly stats or no stats these are the 3 top dogs moneywise in the hobby How do I know this?
Look who I collect Thats worth millions in itself think about it

Jeter
Pujols
Arod

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
If Jeter is so washed up can someone name me some better all around shortstops than him. Maybe Hanley Ramirez.
Tulowitzki has missed more games the last three years than Jeter has his entire career.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
hofautos said:
This is the crux of the whole (non-)argument. I think Jeter is overexposed, overhyped, and overworshiped. This is largely because he is a Yankee.

Let me give you three names: Craig Biggio, Barry Larkin, and Roberto Alomar. These are the closest comparables to Jeter IMO. they have slightly lower career percentage stats (and we can expect Jeter's to slightly decline), but they were superior fielders and arguably more valuable to their respective teams. Now, do you think the average fan "rates" them in the same place as Jeter? No, because Jeter has five rings (which any of those players could probably have if they had switched teams with Jeter). It's just that Houston, Cincinnati, and San Diego/Toronto/Baltimore/Cleveland aren't sexy places to spend a career. An objective baseball person can remove the pinstripes and the pretty face and all of the magazine covers and the value of baseball cards and see that Jeter is a great player who reaps the benefits of having been drafted by the greatest franchise in the history of sports. That is glaringly obvious right now as people are waking up to the fact that Jeter needs the Yankees a whole hell of a lot more than they need him.

And then there is the whole Gold Glove debacle.

I think he's overrated, and that's my definition. These threads will never come to fruition or die, which is probably why I like them.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Mighty Bombjack said:
hofautos said:
This is the crux of the whole (non-)argument. I think Jeter is overexposed, overhyped, and overworshiped. This is largely because he is a Yankee.

Let me give you three names: Craig Biggio, Barry Larkin, and Roberto Alomar. These are the closest comparables to Jeter IMO. they have slightly lower career percentage stats (and we can expect Jeter's to slightly decline), but they were superior fielders and arguably more valuable to their respective teams. Now, do you think the average fan "rates" them in the same place as Jeter? No, because Jeter has five rings (which any of those players could probably have if they had switched teams with Jeter). It's just that Houston, Cincinnati, and San Diego/Toronto/Baltimore/Cleveland aren't sexy places to spend a career. An objective baseball person can remove the pinstripes and the pretty face and all of the magazine covers and the value of baseball cards and see that Jeter is a great player who reaps the benefits of having been drafted by the greatest franchise in the history of sports. That is glaringly obvious right now as people are waking up to the fact that Jeter needs the Yankees a whole hell of a lot more than they need him.

And then there is the whole Gold Glove debacle.

I think he's overrated, and that's my definition. These threads will never come to fruition or die, which is probably why I like them.
Jeter is gonna end his career with better stas than all of them. I love Roberto Alomar, and he should have been a first balloter, but I dont think he is as good all around as Jeter. Neither is Larkin or Biggio.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
elmalo said:
George_Calfas said:
Lets say Jeter finds a new team, who plays SS for the Yankees?
Eduardo Nunez

Exactly, this is why the NYY will pay Jeter and he will give some. Nunez is not the Yankees replacement for Jeter, they need a few years to wait on Hanley.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
maxpower said:
Krom said:
maxpower said:
Derek Jeter cannot be overrated and anyone who says different is a moron.

He is greater than any five baseball players put together. If you created a Voltron-type super player with Ted Williams for the head, Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron for the arms, and Barry Bonds and Joe DiMaggio for the legs, then gave that super player a magic bat that shoots lightning bolts, Derek Jeter would still dominate. Plus, he'd bag all those players' girlfriends/wives because he's a super cool stud.

I know this because he has FIVE RINGS! Argument over!
So by your way of thinking Jeter is better than Mays (only 1 WS champ) at batting and fielding? Jeter for sure is Overpaid.

Derek Jeter is 5x the player that Willie Mays was. And infinity times better than Ernie Banks.
that is without a doubt the most moronic thing i have EVER read!
icon_facepalm.gif

P.S.
sarcastic or otherwise.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
maxpower said:
Krom said:
Card Magnet said:
maxpower said:
Derek Jeter cannot be overrated and anyone who says different is a moron.

He is greater than any five baseball players put together. If you created a Voltron-type super player with Ted Williams for the head, Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron for the arms, and Barry Bonds and Joe DiMaggio for the legs, then gave that super player a magic bat that shoots lightning bolts, Derek Jeter would still dominate. Plus, he'd bag all those players' girlfriends/wives because he's a super cool stud.

I know this because he has FIVE RINGS! Argument over!
That means one of Voltron's legs and his bat is illegal.
+1 and why do you have to give him a roid leg?

Because he's just that good!

Even a juiced up Voltron with an illegal magic bat cannot stand up to the raw power and sexiness of Derek Jeter.

FIVE RINGS!!!!
if he were a CUB would he have won 5 rings? not one! so i guess he was the only Yankee that was playing! the NY Yankees won 5 rings for him, not the NY Jeters!

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
George_Calfas said:
elmalo said:
[quote="George_Calfas":18qxc3xu]Lets say Jeter finds a new team, who plays SS for the Yankees?
Eduardo Nunez

Exactly, this is why the NYY will pay Jeter and he will give some. Nunez is not the Yankees replacement for Jeter, they need a few years to wait on Hanley.[/quote:18qxc3xu]
They have talked about Nunez being his replacement once he retires. I dont think they care all that much about Ramirez at this point.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
elmalo said:
George_Calfas said:
elmalo said:
[quote="George_Calfas":2q96mvgb]Lets say Jeter finds a new team, who plays SS for the Yankees?
Eduardo Nunez

Exactly, this is why the NYY will pay Jeter and he will give some. Nunez is not the Yankees replacement for Jeter, they need a few years to wait on Hanley.
They have talked about Nunez being his replacement once he retires. I dont think they care all that much about Ramirez at this point.[/quote:2q96mvgb]

They might not want Hanley, however, I cant see Nunez being there long term solution.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
He may not be, but you never know. He isnt going to be replacing Jeter anyway. A guy like Jeter doesnt come around too often.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
George_Calfas said:

They wouldn't just move A-Rod back over, and find a third baseman? I haven't really been paying attention to any of the chatter, so I'm sure someone can/will tell me why it won't happen.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
bungle77 said:
George_Calfas said:

They wouldn't just move A-Rod back over, and find a third baseman? I haven't really been paying attention to any of the chatter, so I'm sure someone can/will tell me why it won't happen.
ARod cant play SS any more. He has no range and his arm isnt what it used to be.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Mighty Bombjack said:
Oh man do I love these Jeter threads.

sportscardtheory said:
I would like to see any kind of proof that people "overrate" Derek Jeter. And please don't use how much money he makes. Everyone knows that what a player makes isn't comparable to how "good" he is. Show me where he is "overrated".
Are you serious with this? I think Jeter is overrated, but first you have to show me your proof that he is "underrated" or even just "correctly rated."

[quote="Brett Keith":7goi7r7p]Arguing Jeter is like arguing religion.
This is more like it. Probably why I like these Jeter threads, as I occasionally like to inanely argue religion as well.[/quote:7goi7r7p]

I'm not making any accusations, so I don't have to prove anything. Your explanation as to how he is "overrated" is weak. No one is saying he's the best ever. No one is saying he's God's gift to baseball. All I ever see anyone say is that he's a great HOF player on a great team, which is hard to dispute. By the time his career is through, he will most likely have

1. over 3,500 hits, ranking him around 6th all-time, 1st all-time shortstop
2. over 2,000 runs, ranking him around 7th all-time, 1st all-time shortstop
3. over 5,400 total bases, ranking him around 9th all-time, 1st all-time shortstop
4. over 11,950 at-bats, ranking him around 4th all-time, 1st all-time shortstop
5. over 300 homeruns, 2nd all-time shortstop
6. over 1,000 extra-base hits, ranking him around 28th all-time, 2nd all-time shortstop
7. over 1,200 walks, ranking him around 53rd all-time, 2nd all-time shortstop
8. over 2,950 games played, ranking him around 13th all-time, 2nd all-time shortstop
9. over 1,475 RBI's, ranking him around 49th all-time, 3rd all-time shortstop
10. over 575 doubles, ranking him around 18th all-time, 3rd all-time shortstop
11. over 400 stolen bases, ranking him around 54th all-time

He plays an important position on the field. He's won 5 World Series'. He has many hitting milestones. He is charitable with no known negatives like steroid usage, spousal abuse, etc. He plays for the biggest market in baseball for the most popular team in sports history. He's extremely popular. He's not overrated, he's rated exactly where he should be rated. Haters are gonna hate.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
I'm not making any accusations, so I don't have to prove anything. Your explanation as to how he is "overrated" is weak. No one is saying he's the best ever. No one is saying he's God's gift to baseball. All I ever see anyone say is that he's a great HOF player on a great team, which is hard to dispute. By the time his career is through, he will most likely have

1. over 3,500 hits, ranking him around 6th all-time, 1st all-time shortstop
2. over 2,000 runs, ranking him around 7th all-time, 1st all-time shortstop
3. over 5,400 total bases, ranking him around 9th all-time, 1st all-time shortstop
4. over 11,950 at-bats, ranking him around 4th all-time, 1st all-time shortstop
5. over 300 homeruns, 2nd all-time shortstop
6. over 1,000 extra-base hits, ranking him around 28th all-time, 2nd all-time shortstop
7. over 1,200 walks, ranking him around 53rd all-time, 2nd all-time shortstop
8. over 2,950 games played, ranking him around 13th all-time, 2nd all-time shortstop
9. over 1,475 RBI's, ranking him around 49th all-time, 3rd all-time shortstop
10. over 575 doubles, ranking him around 18th all-time, 3rd all-time shortstop
11. over 400 stolen bases, ranking him around 54th all-time

He plays an important position on the field. He's won 5 World Series'. He has many hitting milestones. He is charitable with no known negatives like steroid usage, spousal abuse, etc. He plays for the biggest market in baseball for the most popular team in sports history. He's extremely popular. He's not overrated, he's rated exactly where he should be rated. Haters are gonna hate.

I'm not a lover or a hater, it seems like he achieves his stats with little or no effort probably because he seems to place the team above his own production. Aside from your stats above, he's also famous for his impressive extracurricular activities:
gal_jeter-women.jpg

NY Daily News: "Over the years, Derek's dated (or at least been spotted with) some of the most beautiful women on the planet, including (clockwise from upper left) singer Mariah Carey, actress Jordana Brewster, former Miss Teen USA Vanessa Minnillo, actress Scarlett Johansson and actress Jessica Alba.

Members online