Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

If the Cardinals traded pujols?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abncollectsautos

Aug 9, 2008
Georgia
Jeff D said:
I would think that WHEN he gets traded would make a big difference. If it's now, with two years left on his contract, he could command a premium young star or two. If it's like the Sabathia situation with a half a season left before free agency, no one in their right mind is going to give up a Braun or Hanley type player.

Very good point. If he was available, it would be very interesting to see how it plays out.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
Pujols will not leave He has said already not about the money and he is probably one of the only players people actually believe when they say that
I personally believe he will take the same plus a little more than he is getting now
possibly less if they spend the money around him The sticking point is Pujols wants the players around him first before he extends The Cardinals want to sign Pujols first so that they know what kind of money they have left after paying Albert

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
craiger122003 said:
Pujols will not leave He has said already not about the money and he is probably one of the only players people actually believe when they say that
I personally believe he will take the same plus a little more than he is getting now
possibly less if they spend the money around him The sticking point is Pujols wants the players around him first before he extends The Cardinals want to sign Pujols first so that they know what kind of money they have left after paying Albert
I hope he does stay as a cardinal. That's good that he says money is not an issue.

Tim Lincecum says he loves it in SF and isn't greedy for money, but I bet we'll need a fortune to keep him.

95vr4

Aug 7, 2008
darocker80 said:
craiger122003 said:
I hope he does stay as a cardinal. That's good that he says money is not an issue.

Tim Lincecum says he loves it in SF and isn't greedy for money, but I bet we'll need a fortune to keep him.

Pujols thread turning into a Lincecum thread? :shock: :? :mrgreen:

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
O n a crazy sidenote I traded for lincy last season on my PS2 The Show 09
He got the Cy Young I offered 2 mill for his arbitration considering he made 400 grand the year before He denies and the Arb gives him 19 MILLION So I traded him back to SF for Matt Cain for less than a million :D

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
Anyways I hope STL will at least sign one or 2 guys that Albert wants first in good faith so he will accept a reasonable deal The guy desreves more than anyone
But STL cannot afford 30 plus per year and beyond 1 Million I would be fine FOREVER I mean seriously these figures are getting crazy

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
95vr4 said:
darocker80 said:
craiger122003 said:

Pujols thread turning into a Lincecum thread? :shock: :? :mrgreen:
Its related, somewhat haha.
And it wasn't soloey lincecum haha

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
Here is how I see this going down.....

Pujols basically said that he was not interested in talking/sitting down/or signing a contract extension this offseason (mind you that was said less than 24 hours after the Cardinals being swept from the playoffs). However, he made it clear, his statement was made so that the Cardinals would worry more about resigning guys and bringing in guys to help the team, and not trying to worry about resigning Albert when he has 1 year left on his contract and an option for 2011.

Also, Glaus and Khalil Greene I dont think will be brought back and that is $18 million off the books right there that the Cardinals can use to try and get Holliday, Derosa, and Smoltzy back. All 3 have expressed an interest in staying Cardinals.

Holliday is the wild card. I think before the playoffs he had played himself into a nice contract and then quickly had his stock drop a bit by the end of the playoffs. I for one am 50/50 about them resigning Holliday. Would love to have him, but I think if we do resign Holliday, we will pretty much be sure to lose all or any combination of these players: Ankiel, Smoltz, Pineiro, Lugo, Derosa.

I guess for me, I dont really see the Cardinals ever trading Pujols--unless it was aging Pujols (ala Thome or Frank Thomas) where it was done as a favor to get him into the AL to DH.

As for Holliday, if they can sign him and still keep Smoltz and Derosa, I am all for it, but if they pass on Holliday and resign all 5 of the other guys, I think the Cardinals are in a better position. Plus they would probably still be able to make a run at a decent bat in the offseason.

TK

mikieward10

Oct 1, 2008
pujolsthomefan33 said:
Here is how I see this going down.....

Pujols basically said that he was not interested in talking/sitting down/or signing a contract extension this offseason (mind you that was said less than 24 hours after the Cardinals being swept from the playoffs). However, he made it clear, his statement was made so that the Cardinals would worry more about resigning guys and bringing in guys to help the team, and not trying to worry about resigning Albert when he has 1 year left on his contract and an option for 2011.

Also, Glaus and Khalil Greene I dont think will be brought back and that is $18 million off the books right there that the Cardinals can use to try and get Holliday, Derosa, and Smoltzy back. All 3 have expressed an interest in staying Cardinals.

Holliday is the wild card. I think before the playoffs he had played himself into a nice contract and then quickly had his stock drop a bit by the end of the playoffs. I for one am 50/50 about them resigning Holliday. Would love to have him, but I think if we do resign Holliday, we will pretty much be sure to lose all or any combination of these players: Ankiel, Smoltz, Pineiro, Lugo, Derosa.

I guess for me, I dont really see the Cardinals ever trading Pujols--unless it was aging Pujols (ala Thome or Frank Thomas) where it was done as a favor to get him into the AL to DH.

As for Holliday, if they can sign him and still keep Smoltz and Derosa, I am all for it, but if they pass on Holliday and resign all 5 of the other guys, I think the Cardinals are in a better position. Plus they would probably still be able to make a run at a decent bat in the offseason.

TK
The problem is it will likely take more than 18 million to resign the guys your talkin about. And its iffy that Dero wil be back because of wrist surgery. I think they will resign Holliday and Smoltz for sure. Ank, Peniero, Glaus. Greene, will all be gone. Im not sure about Dero, it seems like the Cards have put a lot of stock into Freese and i think there is a good chance he is your everyday 3b next year. So if this is the case i dont see them spending to much on Dero, even though his versitility is a huge asset. To me the major focus should once again be the bullpen. In short resign Holliday then fix the bullpen. We need a closer. Franklin = long reliever/one year wonder

mikieward10

Oct 1, 2008
kentuckyderby said:
How about for Ryan Howard?
It would be an interesting read to see opinions on who is more clutch ;)
I dont think there would be much of an argument

thegreathambino

Jan 17, 2009
it would take alot to get rid of pujols, he is a player to build a franchise around, and i wouldn't trade him for a star who isn't as goood, and some prospects who may never pan out

mikieward10

Oct 1, 2008
Smoltz is suppose to start working out in Nov and see how he feels and if he feels he can go another season he said he would be interested in resigning.

I know about half the post have said that Pujols should not be traded or that the cards would be stupid to trade him, but the post was just to see what offers you think they would get if he was on the market, not that they would actually trade him.

Members online

Latest posts