Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Interesting Fake Ted Williams 1992 Upper Deck Auto /2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
Just thought I'd throw this on here:

Fake:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-UPPER-DECK-TED-WILLIAMS-BASEBALL-HEROES-AUTO-789-2500-/330818185591?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item4d064ce977
$(KGrHqR,!lgFBl-ZuLVSBQbPVtoM0!~~60_57.JPG

Real:
$(KGrHqR,!nwFB(kY25gwBQ,HDMu7kw~~60_57.JPG

Where it really gets interesting is the back. There's an unsigned version of this card and the back looks like this:
back.jpg

Notice the hologram is in the shape of a baseball field.

The authentic autograph card's hologram is in the shape of a diamond (square rotated 45 degrees):
$T2eC16F,!zcE9s4g0uu-BQGFTkbMC!~~60_57.JPG

Here's the back of the fake:
$(KGrHqR,!gwF!g6Qq(zfBQbPVtvTbQ~~60_57.JPG

Be careful out there.

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
The auto is terrible. But what's up with the hologram? Very strange indeed!

/10

Aug 1, 2011
Can you clarify one thing for me? I'm not intimately familiar with all the hologram variations. Are you saying that there are the following versions that you've shown here:

Real Unsigned: authentic baseball field hologram
Real Signed: authentic baseball basepaths hologram
Fake Signed: fake baseball basepaths hologram

In other words, are the holograms different shapes for the real unsigned and real signed versions?

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Can you clarify one thing for me? I'm not intimately familiar with all the hologram variations. Are you saying that there are the following versions that you've shown here:

Real Unsigned: authentic baseball field hologram
Real Signed: authentic baseball basepaths hologram
Fake Signed: fake baseball basepaths hologram

In other words, are the holograms different shapes for the real unsigned and real signed versions?

Yes, but the fake has a diamond larger than the correct diamond.

dp33

Jun 2, 2009
Have you ever seen a hand-numbered card shown in fraction format? That seems like a dead giveaway to me.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Love how the dude has a reserve on the auction... also, his hologram has a perfectly centered UD logo in it lol.... He picked 789 as the serial number, which would be funny if someone could produce the actual 789 card but that's slim to none. I'm sure if asked, he will say he acquired the card from someone else or in a trade or found the card or something.

/10

Aug 1, 2011
Have you ever seen a hand-numbered card shown in fraction format? That seems like a dead giveaway to me.

I thought this happens from time to time. Standing out in my mind are Red Ginter autos, which are hand numbered to /10. Now I'd be definitely suspicious if they tried a decimal ... Card #0.8904

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There are 12 bids on that terrible counterfeit and it's up to $239.
The signature is laughably bad.
I can't believe the seller actually has a reserve on it, which hasn't been met yet, unless he genuinely thinks it's authentic.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
There are 12 bids on that terrible counterfeit and it's up to $239.
The signature is laughably bad.
I can't believe the seller actually has a reserve on it, which hasn't been met yet, unless he genuinely thinks it's authentic.

I'd bet you he thinks it is genuinely authentic... and even if he faked himself, he is going to act like it is or that he got it elsewhere, etc.

Eitherway, this auction is just messed up... how much does an authentic one go for?

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
A friend of mine suggested that this is where the fake hologram comes from. After some work with scissors, of course.

$T2eC16VHJGkE9no8h,REBQRr4J0C8w~~60_57.JPG

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
That's what he wants you to think I'm sure lol...

So how long before the seller comes dropping into this thread with his first post

I find it interesting when people take what can actually be the explanation, a plausible one and throw out there as if they are some kind of super detective and bet thats what the person will say when they get caught. Just as an FYI, the vast majority of those in the hobby cant tell fakes or are well versed in what the composition of the original card was. there are foolish buyers and at some point, they probably turn into foolish sellers.

Perhaps, he actually doesnt know.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts