Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

J. Montero for J. Upton?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
The Yankees outfield this year was Gardner, Granderson and Swisher. How would Upton not be able to stay in that lineup?

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
LLWesMan said:
Much of Upton's value is still contained within his potential, just as Montero's is. Jesus has a Frank Thomas ceiling at the plate, and offers the chance for both better average and power than Upton.
And Upton does other things besides hit, and he is the type of player that the Yankees are looking for.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
Brett Keith said:
Ready-to-frame example of overvaluing a prospect.

+1

Personally, I don't see why everyone wants Montero to be off-limits.

Yankees have Romine in the wings, waiting for his shot. Behind him, they have Gary Sanchez, who is supposed to be better than Montero overall.

I am just imagining the amount of HR Upton might hit at Yankee stadium and inserted into that lineup. That's a scary thought.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
NECpilgrims8 said:
Brett Keith said:

+1

Yankees have Romine in the wings, waiting for his shot. Behind him, they have Gary Sanchez, who is supposed to be better than Montero overall.

I am just imagining the amount of HR Upton might hit at Yankee stadium and inserted into that lineup. That's a scary thought.

Probably because the second he leaves NY his cards will drop in value.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
NECpilgrims8 said:
Brett Keith said:

+1

I agree, and evryone who has his cards want him to be off limits. He isnt off limits as far as the Yankees are concerned.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
LLWesMan said:
Much of Upton's value is still contained within his potential, just as Montero's is. Jesus has a Frank Thomas ceiling at the plate, and offers the chance for both better average and power than Upton.

Montero does not have a Frank Thomas ceiling. Frank was on on-base machine. Frank's career BB% us 16.5, Montero's career high was this past season at 9.1. Miguel Cabrera ceiling, maybe. I don't see why Montero has a better chance of reaching his ceiling than Justin, though, and Justin at the same stage was rated higher as a prospect. It's like people forgot what Upton was in the minors and that he made the All-Star team last season at age 21.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Brett Keith said:
LLWesMan said:

Montero does not have a Frank Thomas ceiling. Frank was on on-base machine. Frank's career BB% us 16.5, Montero's career high was this past season at 9.1. Miguel Cabrera ceiling, maybe. I don't see why Montero has a better chance of reaching his ceiling than Justin, though, and Justin at the same stage was rated higher as a prospect. It's like people forgot what Upton was in the minors and that he made the All-Star team last season at age 21.
And imagine him in that Yankee line up!

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
chromerookies said:
I think it would be better for the Yankees as they would be trading a 1 tool player for a 5 tool player. And to make room they could drop Swisher, man he sucks, I'm happy we (A's)got rid of him

Since when did swisher suck. He had a great year

I think Justin Upton is extremely over rated. I also think he might never reach those lofty expectations. Way too many k's and that is tough to correct.

gomatt

Oct 1, 2008
I just don't see Montero catching for the Yankees. DH yes. 1st Base eventually.

He is just not very good defensively. With Sanchez and Romine down the road, I would trade Montero for pitching while his value is skyhigh.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
The Yankees seem to want to buy their pitchers in FA like with CC and Lee, I don't know who they might target in a trade right now. I guess they could go after Greinke but I think he has it in his contract that he can't be traded to NY.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
jcmint said:
chromerookies said:
I think it would be better for the Yankees as they would be trading a 1 tool player for a 5 tool player. And to make room they could drop Swisher, man he sucks, I'm happy we (A's)got rid of him

Since when did swisher suck. He had a great year

I think Justin Upton is extremely over rated. I also think he might never reach those lofty expectations. Way too many k's and that is tough to correct.

That's kind of how I feel. On the one hand, I see Upton tearing up spring training earlier this spring, living up to the expections everyone put on him (also his amazing All Star season where he was on pace to becoming the next Griffy). On the other, I see him going through the terrible slumps periodically through this past season and making no progress, not to mention the enormous K rate. Personally, I would rather keep Montero but I wouldn't be shocked if a deal was made. It really comes down to who you think will reach their potential, and my answer would be Montero.

This talk is probably all moot anyway as the odds of this happening are very slim based on what I've read.

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
Justin Upton is not extremely overrated. He is extremely talented and just waiting to break out. If he were to do it in a market like Boston or New York there would be no stopping his star and hobby potential. He is a complete five tool player and was an all-star ant 21. I think he needs to adjust his approach at the plate a bit to cut down the k's, but I believe he is on the verge of super stardom.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Excellent trade for the Yankees. Upton is an excellent young outfielder and as others have mentioned, the Yankees have organizational depth at catcher. It should also be pointed out that Upton didn't have an awful year in 2010, as he posted a 799 OPS with about 70 runs and RBI despite missing about a month's worth of games.

Wes

OG
Administrator
Brett Keith said:
LLWesMan said:

Thomas never hit for the power Montero did in the minors. I wouldn't hold that against his power tool either. By all accounts Montero has top of the line power and average tools, both of which match Thomas'.

Members online

Latest posts