Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

J. Montero for J. Upton?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
Halycon (Toronto)
What kind of package would it take to get J. Upton to the Jays?

Klaw (1:31 PM)
I would think that Towers would start with one of the major league arms - Marcum or Romero, most likely. If I'm Towers I aim high and ask for Snider too, plus two good prospects. Why not? You're trading an insanely valuable guy.

Huh. I can't imagine Towers NOT asking for Drabek, unless Keith's lumping him in as one of the "two good prospects" but I would think he'd name him.

Romero and Snider, plus two (let's say Stewart and D'Arnaud)? No, I don't think I'd pull that trigger.

Sub Marcum in for Romero and I'd think for a long time. But that's an awful lot to give up. A whole hell of a lot. I mean how much better will Upton be than Snider? That's not bias on my part, I expect Upton will be a significantly more valuable player (way more versatility in his skillset) but I'd have a hard time being convinced that the chasm between their values is equal to Marcum/Romero and two good prospects.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
chromerookies said:
jcmint said:
James52411 said:
Excellent trade for the Yankees. Upton is an excellent young outfielder and as others have mentioned, the Yankees have organizational depth at catcher. It should also be pointed out that Upton didn't have an awful year in 2010, as he posted a 799 OPS with about 70 runs and RBI despite missing about a month's worth of games.

Some people in this thread said swisher sucked and he put up better numbers then Upton. HMM

Surely you aren't serious? Because,um, Swisher is 30 Upton is 23, Upton was an A.S his 2nd year, Swisher just BARELY got in his 6th year. All Swisher does is hit HR, thats it, Upton does everything.

I don't know waht stats you are looking at...

Swisher: 0.288 BA
Upton: 0.273 BA

Swisher: 0.359 OBP
Upton: 0.356 OBP

Swisher: 0.511 SLUG
Upton: 0.442 SLUG

Swisher: 0.870 OPS
Upton: 0.799 OPS

Swisher: 33 2B
Upton: 27 2B

Swisher: 3 3B
Upton: 3 3B

Swisher: 29 HR
Upton: 17 HR

Swisher: 89 RBI
Upton: 69 RBI

Swisher: 91 R
Upton: 73 R

Swisher: 163 H
Upton: 135 H

Swisher: 58 BB
Upton: 64 BB

Swisher: 139 K
Upton: 152 K

If all Nick Swisher is is a HR there is no way in hell that I would trade Montero for Justin Upton.

So what is Justin Upton, Nick Swisher with not as much power and speed?

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
ballerskrip said:
jcmint said:
"But he is close to projecting as an 80 hitter with 80 power on the 20-80 scouting scale." BA Prospect handbook 2010. So yeah some have mentioned it

Joe, the kid is going to be good, I am not arguing that. He might GREAT, i am not arguing that one bit. BUT BA saying that he is CLOSE to projecting as an 80 hitter and 80 power is somewhat arbitrary. When a scout sends in a report, it has Current and Projected. Two numbers. Nothing about being close to....or close to maybe projecting to.....

That is all I am saying. Many scouts will go an ENTIRE YEAR without dropping a single 80 grade on a player outside of speed. I am not claiming to be an expert on this, but I did spend plenty of time with scouts in 2003 and 2004 as some of you know.

skrip

brother skrip I was simply stating that he was graded close to 80 as a response to a post saying they doubted any one scout said that. just stating the facts.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
chromerookies said:
jcmint said:
chromerookies said:
I think it would be better for the Yankees as they would be trading a 1 tool player for a 5 tool player. And to make room they could drop Swisher, man he sucks, I'm happy we (A's)got rid of him

Since when did swisher suck. He had a great year

I think Justin Upton is extremely over rated. I also think he might never reach those lofty expectations. Way too many k's and that is tough to correct.

did you watch the playoffs?

You can say that about many players over limited AB's in the playoffs. If the guy had a good year and was a big part of getting you to the playoffs then the guy does not suck.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
chromerookies said:
jcmint said:
James52411 said:
Excellent trade for the Yankees. Upton is an excellent young outfielder and as others have mentioned, the Yankees have organizational depth at catcher. It should also be pointed out that Upton didn't have an awful year in 2010, as he posted a 799 OPS with about 70 runs and RBI despite missing about a month's worth of games.

Some people in this thread said swisher sucked and he put up better numbers then Upton. HMM

Surely you aren't serious? Because,um, Swisher is 30 Upton is 23, Upton was an A.S his 2nd year, Swisher just BARELY got in his 6th year. All Swisher does is hit HR, thats it, Upton does everything.

As soon as you take your blinders off you will see it. I know he missed some time but his numbers were not that good. He he has a ocean of potential but he did not look good this year at all. He regressed from 2009. He WAS an all star. Swisher is an all star. Who is talking about age anyway you said one guy sucked and the other didnt. If Swish sucked then upton was brutal.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
jcmint said:
chromerookies said:
jcmint said:
James52411 said:

As soon as you take your blinders off you will see it. I know he missed some time but his numbers were not that good. He he has a ocean of potential but he did not look good this year at all. He regressed from 2009. He WAS an all star. Swisher is an all star. Who is talking about age anyway you said one guy sucked and the other didnt. If Swish sucked then upton was brutal.

I think chromerookies would call Upton...a home run hitter who doesnt hit a lot of HRs....if all Swisher is is a HR hitter.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
jcmint said:
chromerookies said:
jcmint said:
chromerookies said:
I think it would be better for the Yankees as they would be trading a 1 tool player for a 5 tool player. And to make room they could drop Swisher, man he sucks, I'm happy we (A's)got rid of him

Since when did swisher suck. He had a great year

I think Justin Upton is extremely over rated. I also think he might never reach those lofty expectations. Way too many k's and that is tough to correct.

did you watch the playoffs?

You can say that about many players over limited AB's in the playoffs. If the guy had a good year and was a big part of getting you to the playoffs then the guy does not suck.
Actually with Swisher it was two years in the playoffs, he was terrible last year as well.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
jcmint said:
ballerskrip said:
jcmint said:
"But he is close to projecting as an 80 hitter with 80 power on the 20-80 scouting scale." BA Prospect handbook 2010. So yeah some have mentioned it

Joe, the kid is going to be good, I am not arguing that. He might GREAT, i am not arguing that one bit. BUT BA saying that he is CLOSE to projecting as an 80 hitter and 80 power is somewhat arbitrary. When a scout sends in a report, it has Current and Projected. Two numbers. Nothing about being close to....or close to maybe projecting to.....

That is all I am saying. Many scouts will go an ENTIRE YEAR without dropping a single 80 grade on a player outside of speed. I am not claiming to be an expert on this, but I did spend plenty of time with scouts in 2003 and 2004 as some of you know.

skrip

brother skrip I was simply stating that he was graded close to 80 as a response to a post saying they doubted any one scout said that. just stating the facts.

HA. I have a tough time with the BA quote = fact. They didn't even say he is projected to have an 80 bat and power. Just stated the he is close to projectin it. He either IS or ISN'T projected for a particular grade. Meaning, he must be projected as a 70, since he isn't an 80 yet apparantly.

Anyways! Let's see some more trading getting done!

Matt

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
vwnut13 said:
jcmint said:
chromerookies said:
jcmint said:
James52411 said:

I think chromerookies would call Upton...a home run hitter who doesnt hit a lot of HRs....if all Swisher is is a HR hitter.

Yes Upton did regress from last year and Swisher had a career year. I'm not comparing them to each other for this year only, I'm comparing their carrers so far. But I never said Upton was a better HR hitter, I said all Swisher does is hit HR,Swisher has 1 obvious tool which is power he has a decent arm and thats it. Upton is a 5 tool player and ANYONE who would take swisher over Upton is a fool. And Swisher was BARELY an A.S this year as he was the last player voted in. And its funny that only Yankee fans would support Swisher, it looks like I'm not the one with the blinders on.

autocut

Jaypers said:
From USAToday:

The New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox, who often find themselves competing for the same player, have each had trade talks with the Arizona Diamondbacks for former All-Star right fielder Justin Upton, high-ranking executives from the three clubs said. The officials are not able to comment on the talks because they are ongoing.

Yet, while the Yankees' package has not met the Diamondbacks' demands, according to officials from New York and Arizona, the Red Sox still are engaged in talks.

"If somebody wants to overpay,'' Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers said, "I'll be more than willing to listen. It's just a thing where people are kicking the tires right now. That's it.''

Upton, 23, was an All-Star in 2009 and would be attractive to many clubs because he's signed through 2015. Upton will make just $4.25 million in 2011.

Always funny to hear GM's talk. It's like players are actually trading cards.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
chromerookies said:
vwnut13 said:
jcmint said:
chromerookies said:
jcmint said:
[quote="James52411":1xamh0mj]Excellent trade for the Yankees. Upton is an excellent young outfielder and as others have mentioned, the Yankees have organizational depth at catcher. It should also be pointed out that Upton didn't have an awful year in 2010, as he posted a 799 OPS with about 70 runs and RBI despite missing about a month's worth of games.

Yes Upton did regress from last year and Swisher had a career year. I'm not comparing them to each other for this year only, I'm comparing their carrers so far. But I never said Upton was a better HR hitter, I said all Swisher does is hit HR,Swisher has 1 obvious tool which is power he has a decent arm and thats it. Upton is a 5 tool player and ANYONE who would take swisher over Upton is a fool. And Swisher was BARELY an A.S this year as he was the last player voted in. And its funny that only Yankee fans would support Swisher, it looks like I'm not the one with the blinders on.[/quote:1xamh0mj]

Only thing I am supporting is that Swisher did not suck this year. As far as the guy talking about he sucked because of the playoffs. True he did not preform good overall but had a solid series VS MINN. You cant judge a player from his post season stats alone. If we did that Barry Bonds would have sucked earlier in his career with the Pirates. Come on thats nonsense. Nobody would trade swisher for upton that is foolish but Swisher is a good player. The beef was someone saying swisher sucked all we did was compare numbers for the season. Is it possible the maybe Arizona sees Justin like his older brother BJ who has a world of talent but will not put it all together. Who knows I dont think they would wanna move him if they thought he would realize that talent. makes you think.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
jcmint said:
chromerookies said:
vwnut13 said:
jcmint said:
chromerookies said:
[quote="jcmint":etgqcnjc][quote="James52411":etgqcnjc]Excellent trade for the Yankees. Upton is an excellent young outfielder and as others have mentioned, the Yankees have organizational depth at catcher. It should also be pointed out that Upton didn't have an awful year in 2010, as he posted a 799 OPS with about 70 runs and RBI despite missing about a month's worth of games.

Yes Upton did regress from last year and Swisher had a career year. I'm not comparing them to each other for this year only, I'm comparing their carrers so far. But I never said Upton was a better HR hitter, I said all Swisher does is hit HR,Swisher has 1 obvious tool which is power he has a decent arm and thats it. Upton is a 5 tool player and ANYONE who would take swisher over Upton is a fool. And Swisher was BARELY an A.S this year as he was the last player voted in. And its funny that only Yankee fans would support Swisher, it looks like I'm not the one with the blinders on.[/quote:etgqcnjc]

Only thing I am supporting is that Swisher did not suck this year. As far as the guy talking about he sucked because of the playoffs. True he did not preform good overall but had a solid series VS MINN. You cant judge a player from his post season stats alone. If we did that Barry Bonds would have sucked earlier in his career with the Pirates. Come on thats nonsense. Nobody would trade swisher for upton that is foolish but Swisher is a good player. The beef was someone saying swisher sucked all we did was compare numbers for the season. Is it possible the maybe Arizona sees Justin like his older brother BJ who has a world of talent but will not put it all together. Who knows I dont think they would wanna move him if they thought he would realize that talent. makes you think.[/quote:etgqcnjc]
He is god awful in the post season.
2009 ALDS .o83 avg, 2009 ALCS .150, 2009 WS .133, 2010 ALDS .333, 2010 ALCS.091. He has good regular season numbers, however when facing good pitching his weaknesses at the plate get severely exposed. When you are on the Yankees your postseason stats do mean a lot. He doesnt get it done in the postseason.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
elmalo said:
2009 ALDS .o83 avg, 2009 ALCS .150, 2009 WS .133, 2010 ALDS .333, 2010 ALCS.091. He has good regular season numbers, however when facing good pitching his weaknesses at the plate get severely exposed. When you are on the Yankees your postseason stats do mean a lot. He doesnt get it done in the postseason.

Does Upton get it done in the post season?

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
vwnut13 said:
elmalo said:

Only one way to find out.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
elmalo said:
vwnut13 said:
elmalo said:

Only one way to find out.

Here's a way to find out...

In 2007, after being called up at 19, in 6 games postseason games he put up a line of .357/.526/.571. He had a 3/3 K/B ratio, 2 HBP and a SB.

Members online

Latest posts