Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

***** League set or insert

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
For this set to really be a success, buy-in would be needed from the ***** League Museum in KC, along with as many big name former ***** League guys as possible. The problem is that few are left...and they are all getting older. Take a guy like Monte Irvin, he's 93 but he's almost the singular perfect candidate for inclusion. ***** League player starting in '38 playing up to the War, then three years later, back to the ***** League then to the Majors at the age of 30 in '49.

Aaron, Mays, Banks would all be great, but cuts for them might be the only approach. Along with deceased crossover players like Jackie Robinson, Larry Doby, Satchel Paige, etc.

Much like the Leaf Draft Basketball, "legends" autographs could be substituted with two "lesser" tier players who played during the post-integration leagues. Content in a set like this would be key. Quality subsets, perhaps newspaper box score clippings embedded, redemptions for ***** League hats, jerseys, etc. Etc, but the key would be to do it right.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
In all of my years working in the auction business, I have come across exactly ZERO ***** League game-used items.....they just don't surface. IF they did...I would be adverse to cutting them up for a product. This would definitely be a cut autograph type of product.

I want to think I saw a Double Duty Glove... But I think it sold privately for big $.
BG

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
Actually just checked out what looks like the official ***** league website negroleaguelegends.com. Really interesting website and they have some pretty cool items for sale. Looks like they are down to only about 20 surviving members. Really hope this happens. I think it's an important part of baseball history that really isn't discussed or appreciated enough. I also think it's something people would really be excited about.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
Actually not the official site but still a cool site to check out. Also screwed up the address. It's org not com. Nlbm.com is the ***** league baseball museum website.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
Another great site. Negroleaguebaseball.com

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
Man the more I read and learn the more excited I get about a possible set. I can already envision a ton of great possible insert sets. Would love to see an insert of ***** league players who made the hall of fame, important dates in ***** league history, famous games, players who played in both the ***** and major leagues, team cards that give info on how the team was formed, where they played, their record, number of championships and best players to play for the team, league record cards for all categories like strikeouts, wins, home runs, steals, etc., autographs, maybe comparison cards where black major league players are paired up with a ***** league player with similar stats or similar style and dream team set with the best teams in ***** league history. I mean the possibilities are endless. Also would love if the back of the base cards gave their career ***** league stats average and a short biography on the player.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
Another great site

Nlbpa.com

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
Negroleaguestore.com

Last one I promise. Just a cool site with ***** league throw back Jerseys and other merchandise.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Verifying ***** League game-used items would be also near impossible. Few uniforms had nameplates and due to institutionalized racism, ordering records just didn't exist for bats or jerseys.

Edit to add: We just go consigned to us the first Harlem Globetrotters gamers I am aware of....

I've seen globetrotters jerseys...

I just bought Marques Haynes' Harlem magicians jersey (tough)...

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
I don't think you'd need many signers. I might be crazy but I would probably even buy it without any signers if the cards looked really nice and if there were a bunch of cool insert sets. To me the fun of the set would be learning about all the history of the league. I mean reading about all the great players, their incredible stats, the places they played, the uniforms they wore, team names, famous games and moments is beyond fascinating and cool. I mean I can't believe how great these guys were. I mean some of the stats would blow your mind.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
Any update on this from Leaf? Really hope it gets done.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
A Leaf Globetrotters set would be awesome. They roll through town every spring. IP graphing a Leaf set would be sweet.

As far as the ***** League set, who exactly owns the rights to those names and logos?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
Not really sure but looks like the ***** league hall of fame and players associations are their own separate entity, although the mlb site does have a small section about the ***** leagues.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts