Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

***** League set or insert

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
It's been mentioned before but I'll throw it out there again. We are reaching the end of and era and there are not too many ***** League players with us anymore. I think a historical set (or insert set) that offered some interesting info about the ***** Leagues (possibly in the form of a little booklet) as well as signed ***** League cards and possibly ***** League Game-Used, would be quite desirable and relatively cheap. Many of the surviving ***** League players sign for free so I imagine it would not be difficult to work out a reasonable price point, and many have posted correspondences with a few of them over the years (here, on Beckett etc.) which means there may be a chance to offer really cool items, or even a redemption for a chance to meet the player etc.

I think including a booklet of information about the ***** Leagues would increase exposure and therefore interest at the same time, and I would not be surprised if the ***** League HOF or some other organization would be thrilled to help out with info for little or no cost.

Finally, any former MLB stars in their ***** League uniforms would be really cool.

It's a set that won't be possible down the line and I think it could be done at a low price point, and be really popular, either as a stand-alone set, or as an insert in another set.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
A set like this I think has a ton of "credibility" potential as well. Someone taking a chance to really pay a solid homage to a huge part of baseball's rich history. A license through the ***** League Museum would be key and allow the manufacturer to dip into the archives and contacts.

I think having this available in a set form would really help "sell" the idea to the ***** League HOF, as an product within their store and website. Perhaps each set has two autographs (of lesser tiered guys) or a cut of a deceased player. With a ton of solid, yet inexpensive cuts of guys like O'Neill, Bell, Johnson, etc and perhaps a deal with Banks, Mays cuts, Aaron cuts, Paige cuts, etc.

Two living autographs gives more value when the players aren't household names.

This was an idea proposed a few years ago, and I have about 6 mock-ups of base singles, cuts and combos.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
A set like this I think has a ton of "credibility" potential as well. Someone taking a chance to really pay a solid homage to a huge part of baseball's rich history. A license through the ***** League Museum would be key and allow the manufacturer to dip into the archives and contacts.

I think having this available in a set form would really help "sell" the idea to the ***** League HOF, as an product within their store and website. Perhaps each set has two autographs (of lesser tiered guys) or a cut of a deceased player. With a ton of solid, yet inexpensive cuts of guys like O'Neill, Bell, Johnson, etc and perhaps a deal with Banks, Mays cuts, Aaron cuts, Paige cuts, etc.

Two living autographs gives more value when the players aren't household names.

This was an idea proposed a few years ago, and I have about 6 mock-ups of base singles, cuts and combos.

I think we may have gone back and forth a little on this a ways back. Sounds like a set reminiscent of 1999/2000 Topps Traded with a complete base set, and then a couple of inserts. (2001 Fleer Red Sox 100th Anniversary even took it to the next level with a signed cap and a Sox truck per box.)

Definitely agree that getting the ***** League HOF on board would be key and open loads of doors. I also think that offering lots of historical info would make it more appealing to the HOF, and help grow the fan base.

A redemption for a trip for 2 to the ***** League HOF would be great as well IMO.

You may even want to consider giving a percentage of proceeds to the Hall. Would add a really cool dimension to the project.

This idea is growing on me.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
I think this is a great idea. Would love to learn more about the ***** league teams, players and stadiums. Would be really cool to have inserts of Jersey cards, stadium relics, etc and learn about players who made the majors. Would be a nice change from the same old major league players and prospects. Plus you wouldn't have to worry about air brushing or hiding logos.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Yeah, would love a ***** League set with autos, cuts ect.
Also I'm sure the guys would do some cool inscriptions for it.
Sure getting license issues clear would be the biggest hurdle.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
There are a slew of the post-integration guys available...but not too rare. These guys could be filler signatures for sure...and dirt cheap (less than $5 a signature). But post-integration guys wouldn't be the draw.

I think most of the big ones would be the living HOFers and probably a lot of cuts.

A set like this could really tap into parallels as well making it a set building chase.

Sent from a handheld, intergalactic communicator.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
have their been ***** league relic/game used cards ever done before?

2001 Fleer Stitches in Time had game-used cards of ***** League players, though when I looked at the wording I was not able to tell if the items were used in ***** League games, as I think every player featured had also played in the Majors.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I believe he's talking about after Jackie all the other good ***** league players joined the MLB but the ***** leagues survived a few years longer.

Fyi Cooperstown IS the ***** league HOF.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Correct. Most of the ***** League guys signing autographs these days at shows are from the post-integrated era. IE guys hat did not garner MLB interest.

And yes, the HOF is technically Cooperstown, I was using the term to imply the museum in Kansas City.

Liberate Baltimore

Jun 2, 2009
Columbia, Maryland
Correct. Most of the ***** League guys signing autographs these days at shows are from the post-integrated era. IE guys hat did not garner MLB interest.

And yes, the HOF is technically Cooperstown, I was using the term to imply the museum in Kansas City.

In all of my years working in the auction business, I have come across exactly ZERO ***** League game-used items.....they just don't surface. IF they did...I would be adverse to cutting them up for a product. This would definitely be a cut autograph type of product.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
In all of my years working in the auction business, I have come across exactly ZERO ***** League game-used items.....they just don't surface. IF they did...I would be adverse to cutting them up for a product. This would definitely be a cut autograph type of product.

Absolutely agree.

Totally unheard of, and definitely cutting anything up like this if available would be met negatively.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Must be some old ***** jerseys floating around somewhere. GUU site I think has few big collectors from that era. BG could also scoop up some of those MLB authenticated Civil Rights game used baseballs from those games. Be cool pulling cards with game used baseballs from those games.

Liberate Baltimore

Jun 2, 2009
Columbia, Maryland
Must be some old ***** jerseys floating around somewhere. GUU site I think has few big collectors from that era. BG could also scoop up some of those MLB authenticated Civil Rights game used baseballs from those games. Be cool pulling cards with game used baseballs from those games.
Verifying ***** League game-used items would be also near impossible. Few uniforms had nameplates and due to institutionalized racism, ordering records just didn't exist for bats or jerseys.

Edit to add: We just go consigned to us the first Harlem Globetrotters gamers I am aware of....

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Verifying ***** League game-used items would be also near impossible. Few uniforms had nameplates and due to institutionalized racism, ordering records just didn't exist for bats or jerseys.

Edit to add: We just go consigned to us the first Harlem Globetrotters gamers I am aware of....
Really interesting information.

I do think it would be easier to find signed bats/caps etc. that are not game-used which would make really cool exchanges and are quite reasonably priced.

Members online

Latest posts