Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

March 2023 - New Arrivals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Thanks for the heads up! He had a couple of cheaper A's I needed, they were priced at $40 each, I offered $30 per and it was auto-accepted. Seems like a very fair price for this set, not a crazy steal but not a ripoff like some people try for on rare '90s stuff.
Awesome! Glad that helped and you're able to add some. These have definitely gone up in the last 2-3 years.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
1997 Pacific Crown Collection - Silver #6 Darin Erstad
1997 Panini Album Stickers - #112 Darin Erstad
1998 Donruss Collections - Donruss - Prized Collections #PC67
1998 Pinnacle Inside -- Diamond Edition #1 Darin Erstad
1998 Topps Tek - [Base] - Pattern 27 #35 Darin Erstad
2005 Playoff Absolute Memorabilia - Team Quads - Spectrum #TQ-8 Vladimir Guerrero, Garret Anderson, Troy Glaus, Darin Erstad #73/100
2005 Flair - Dynasty Foundations - Level 1 Jersey #DF-VG/GA/DE/RC/NR Vladimir Guerrero, Garret Anderson, Darin Erstad, Rod Carew, Nolan Ryan /150
2005 Topps Chrome - [Base] - Black Refractor #275 Bucky Jacobsen

The 1997 Pacific Silver is the final non 1/1 card I needed from 1997 for Erstad. These and the Blue Wal-Mart parallels are often confused and difficult to detect. I'd done that several times since 1997 and have 5 of the Blues. LOL.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Everyone loves a deal. Sometimes I even feel a little guilty when the deal is too good to be true, as in this case. I got this on ebay for a buck (plus s/h)! The final cost was $6.82 with shipping and tex, delivered. Coincidentally, that is also he hull number of the submarine I was assigned to when in the Navy. It's one of those numbers in life that you just stop and recognize when you see it. Certainly can't complain about that.

There is no reason this should have sold this low though, other than maybe new seller and low feedback, but ebay protects you pretty well these days as a buyer. I like saving money for sure. I believe this was a set where the first certain number are signed and the rest are just the numbered insert. This is 24/2025. Bad luck for the seller, good luck for me. It happens.

Soriano 24-2025.jpg

I lost out on the previous Penn Emblem I had on my wantlist, Bob Horner. With anything odd and unique, you never know who is looking and wanting. When I saw that I lost, I was mad. I need 20 of the 104 known subjects & one border variation still, most are stars, but several are more like fan favorites or commons to most, like Horner. The Horner went for a pretty stupid amount, so either it was another Penn collector or perhaps a Braves/Horner collector.

When I saw this lot of 43, I knew I needed to win because it had a couple I needed still, but figured it would cost me. I was right. I only needed a whole 2 patches from the lot. Thankfully, I don't mind dupes so I figure I only paid a few bucks per patch! Some of these just don't pop up much, not that the set itself is all that common. They were crudely made and according to an ad sheet I have, sold for about $2.50 each when new but you needed to buy a minimum of 3 and add $0.50 postage. So, in 1979, you needed $8. That was somewhere close to a full box of Topps cards!

Penn.jpg

Garvey Penn Emblem Ad Sheet copy.jpg

This card and a recent posting on a facebook group made me think once more about the high quality of folks that we have on this site and the pure joy of collecting for the fun of it. Facebook can't claim the same. In fact, that group has me convinced that a majority of those in that group are newer or recently returning collectors and are utterly clueless and fast helping to ruin it for everyone.

Haywood Jeffires Archives. 9 year NFL vet, a couple 1000 yard rushing seasons and a few pro bowl seasons as well. Not an all time great, but a decent player in his day. Not everything has to be the latest top prospect or the top position player to enjoy the hobby. Many people have either forgotten that or never knew the pure joy. Archives is a great offering, letting you get guys (and gals in some sets) that you wouldn't otherwise be exposed to. Of course with that comes the turd who cries when he pulls a "nobody" auto from his box and calls it a waste, because he was expecting Koufax, Trout or the latest rookie phenom.
Jeffires.jpg

Dave Casper. Casper.jpg

Another 90s redemption card for a cool mail-in only redemption set. Wish they did these still, as I assume that tradition has ended.

Behind Glass Redemption.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Another big non-baseball day, but starting us out is Black Jack McDowell. McD.jpg

Faulk /50. Faulk.jpg

Don Meredith. I was wondering if this is the kind of guy that will be all but forgotten soon. I'm sure I am skipping plenty, as the Cowboys have had many more GBs, but these are guys I can name without much thought. Before Romo, there was Aikman. Before Aikman, there was Staubach. Before Staubach, there was Dandy Don Meredith. Perhaps more famous for his post career broadcasting and TV commercial career though. He retired in 1968, so most of us collecting today never saw him play. A part of us saw him in the booth, but some of us have seen none of that. He isn't a household name and isn't in the HOF and he died in 2010. Let us remember Dandy Don well into the future.
Dandy Don.jpg

Rozier. Rozier.jpg

Bob brown. Would love to find a certified Raider auto card. This and an Eagles certified card will have to do for now. Brown.jpg

Joe Dumars and Kenny Anderson Old School. JD.jpgKA.jpg

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
The Helsley Series 1 is complete now other than the Platinum which still hasn't surfaced to my knowledge. I still need the Rip Party parallels and a couple 1st Edition parallels if anyone comes across them.

Father's Day Blue /50
2023 Topps Fathers Day Blue Front.jpg

I have all his relics now too other than the two 1/1s.
2022 Topps Update All Star Game Jumbo Relic /5
2022 Topps Update All Star Jumbo Relic.jpg

Non-baseball today
1910 Mecca Tobacco George Sutton - I'm working on all the billiards players from this set.
George Sutton.jpg

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Everyone loves a deal. Sometimes I even feel a little guilty when the deal is too good to be true, as in this case. I got this on ebay for a buck (plus s/h)! The final cost was $6.82 with shipping and tex, delivered. Coincidentally, that is also he hull number of the submarine I was assigned to when in the Navy. It's one of those numbers in life that you just stop and recognize when you see it. Certainly can't complain about that.

There is no reason this should have sold this low though, other than maybe new seller and low feedback, but ebay protects you pretty well these days as a buyer. I like saving money for sure. I believe this was a set where the first certain number are signed and the rest are just the numbered insert. This is 24/2025. Bad luck for the seller, good luck for me. It happens.

View attachment 346088

Only the first 25 of the 2025 print run were the autograph version, great pickup for that price!

A pile of stuff from the last few days:

031323-1.jpg
First, the big A's autograph out of the 2023 Topps 1988 set. I was worried I wasn't going to get this one because it was a low feedback seller who put up a BIN $40 lower than what the last one had sold for, and he ended up taking 8 days to put it in the mail. Showed up today and it's great! Still need Eckersley and Canseco to finish up the team set.

031323-2.jpg
Super sweet '90s stuff. The two Donruss Prized Collections Preferred cards I picked up late Friday showed up really quick! I now have 3 from this set and am missing 3...one I'm missing is Canseco and I'm not paying the price it'd go for, but the other two are possible. I'm missing one each from the Leaf and Elite subsets, not sure why I can't track those down. Also there is a 1999 UD Choice Prime Choice Reserve Eric Chavez 088/100, a tough set to find anything from. Only missing a couple to complete it, though.

031323-3.jpg 031323-4.jpg
Some Bowman Chrome Gold Refractors. Can't beat the shine on the 2005's, still missing quite a few from that year. Only missing 3 from 2009 and 2 from 2014, though.

031323-5.jpg
1996 Donruss Preferred Steel Gold McGwire was his last "easy" card I needed from that year. 1991 Holsum Rickey Henderson was his last A's food issue from my wantlist, now my food wants are down to a few McGwires and a 1984 Subway Rick Langford that does not want to be found. Lastly are a 2002 Fleer Fall Classics Championship Gold Catfish Hunter 32/50 and a 2020 Topps Independence Day Chad Pinder 64/76.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
2 mail drop offs today... kinda random.

A big card exits my wantlist!

1998 Donruss Prized Collections Preferred Darin Erstad PP GS 736 /55

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Only the first 25 of the 2025 print run were the autograph version, great pickup for that price!

A pile of stuff from the last few days:

View attachment 346134
First, the big A's autograph out of the 2023 Topps 1988 set. I was worried I wasn't going to get this one because it was a low feedback seller who put up a BIN $40 lower than what the last one had sold for, and he ended up taking 8 days to put it in the mail. Showed up today and it's great! Still need Eckersley and Canseco to finish up the team set.

View attachment 346135
Super sweet '90s stuff. The two Donruss Prized Collections Preferred cards I picked up late Friday showed up really quick! I now have 3 from this set and am missing 3...one I'm missing is Canseco and I'm not paying the price it'd go for, but the other two are possible. I'm missing one each from the Leaf and Elite subsets, not sure why I can't track those down. Also there is a 1999 UD Choice Prime Choice Reserve Eric Chavez 088/100, a tough set to find anything from. Only missing a couple to complete it, though.

View attachment 346136 View attachment 346137
Some Bowman Chrome Gold Refractors. Can't beat the shine on the 2005's, still missing quite a few from that year. Only missing 3 from 2009 and 2 from 2014, though.

View attachment 346138
1996 Donruss Preferred Steel Gold McGwire was his last "easy" card I needed from that year. 1991 Holsum Rickey Henderson was his last A's food issue from my wantlist, now my food wants are down to a few McGwires and a 1984 Subway Rick Langford that does not want to be found. Lastly are a 2002 Fleer Fall Classics Championship Gold Catfish Hunter 32/50 and a 2020 Topps Independence Day Chad Pinder 64/76.
Mic Mac. Not that he wasn't already wanted for my auto collection, but when he became a Dodger coach, he became a need. Interesting that 2 of the biggest A's of the 80s also have brief ties to the Dodgers (Talking about Rickey).

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Ann Meyers (Drysdale). This doesn't quite make the cut to connect to my Dodger collection, but as a Basketball HOFer, she holds her own. She was married to former Dodger pitcher Don Drysdale until his death in 1993 (She was 38 then, so quite a bit younger than Don, who was 56 at the time of his death). When looking up some facts, I saw that Don Drysdale was first married in 1958, when Ann would have been 3!

Meyers.jpg

Jul 22, 2016
Tough one is incoming. This finishes the rainbow:
1998 Donruss Prized Collections Preferred Darin Erstad PP GS 736 /55

Awesome, I love those. Being not numbered really makes a difference with the price. I had a David Cone and Gary Sheffield and put them for sale back in 2018. I was getting offers of $5 or none at all. I know they aren’t stars but they aren’t scrubs either and Cone was in a Yankee uniform. I always found the preferred prized collections hit or miss with sales . I’m sure if they were numbered they would command a lot more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Latest posts