Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mark McGwire Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
two more tek gold notches!

Apparently the guy I bought this from had an entire '99 tek gold set all #'d 10/10. That set was an amazing feat.
w_1999--topps_tek--7a--12--g.jpg
w_1999--topps_tek--7b--16--g.jpg

Also added a pretty tough card to find, MVP Promotion. Made me realize I didn't have the other '99 and had it marked as "not needed" with the wrong picture!

I'm not sure about this though because it is missing the stamp on the front. I'm going to start another thread about this to see if I can get some answers to this.
w_1999--topps--mvp_promo--450.jpg

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
onionring9 said:
two more tek gold notches!

Apparently the guy I bought this from had an entire '99 tek gold set all #'d 10/10. That set was an amazing feat.
w_1999--topps_tek--7a--12--g.jpg
w_1999--topps_tek--7b--16--g.jpg

Also added a pretty tough card to find, MVP Promotion. Made me realize I didn't have the other '99 and had it marked as "not needed" with the wrong picture!

I'm not sure about this though because it is missing the stamp on the front. I'm going to start another thread about this to see if I can get some answers to this.
w_1999--topps--mvp_promo--450.jpg

Have you completed the Gold Tek set now? If so that's amazing. I haven't even come close on the base.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
docdw25 said:
Have you completed the Gold Tek set now? If so that's amazing. I haven't even come close on the base.

Getting closer.

2000 20 exist, need 1
1999 7a 30 exist, need 13
1999 7b 30 exist, need 20

so I still need 34 of the 80.

I may have another handful coming in soon but we'll see :)

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
onionring9 said:
docdw25 said:

Getting closer.

2000 20 exist, need 1

Wow that's impressive. So the guy you're buying from has the 1999 gold Tek set? If so you should have no problem finishing the set.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
docdw25 said:
onionring9 said:
docdw25 said:

Getting closer.

2000 20 exist, need 1

Wow that's impressive. So the guy you're buying from has the 1999 gold Tek set? If so you should have no problem finishing the set.

No no, he had an entire set of all players (one of McGwire 7a, one of McGwire 7b, etc) all #'d 10/10. I bought him out of his two mcgwire teks. He split that set up (shrev on ebay). He had a few '00 but he sold those before I knew he had them. Impressive that somebody put that other set together though. Now if somebody could do it for all patterns of a single player? WOW

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
I decided to pick up another copy of the Green and Purple Crusade cards. Wanted to get a raw Purple Crusade since my other one is graded PSA 10. They just arrived today.

1998-CrusadeGreen.jpg

1998-CrusadePurple.jpg

Along with this....

#/25
2001-ElitePCRed-fr.jpg

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
docdw25 said:
I decided to pick up another copy of the Green and Purple Crusade cards. Wanted to get a raw Purple Crusade since my other one is graded PSA 10. They just arrived today.

1998-CrusadeGreen.jpg

1998-CrusadePurple.jpg

now thats a nice set of cards!

Along with this....

#/25
2001-ElitePCRed-fr.jpg

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Mark McGwire Museum said:
Nice haul docdw25! Joe, yours too; Looking good on those Tek golds!

everything all good on your end? Haven't seen you in ages!

Dec 10, 2008
onionring9 said:
Mark McGwire Museum said:
Nice haul docdw25! Joe, yours too; Looking good on those Tek golds!

everything all good on your end? Haven't seen you in ages!

Tied a LOT of money in commercial real estate during this economy. It went south here a little before other places, so had to act on it. I still peek in once in awhile, but have had my hands very full since about May/June.

7guns

Aug 7, 2008
Norfolk Va.
doc and Joe let me know when you are done buying all of the beauties I will go get and get any scraps if there is any. Very nice congrats to you both.

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
Big Mac McGwire said:
anyone pick up any auto's lately??

I haven't. I had to let the 99 missing link auto go because I just bought the crusades and the Donruss Elite #/25. It would have completed the missing link set. :(

Dec 10, 2008
I just bought a ball that Ive waited for and wanted a very long time: a 1987 All Star ball, signed in 1987, on the sweet spot, with no fading. One came up on ebay that met all of the above and ended yesterday. Almost all of them you see are signed on the side panel under the All Star game logo, and with a 1988 or later signature. I feel I stole it @ $82. I had a snipe set for more than double, so was extremely happy when I got home and saw not only that I won it, but also for less than a $100!!

Heres a link: [ebay:241gsrkx]110463179630[/ebay:241gsrkx]

here is my 87 ball. not sure if the ball is an official ball or not. but i got this back a few years ago.

mcgwire009.jpg

mcgwire.jpg

Dec 10, 2008
Thats a nice one as well Don. You'll know if its official if it has the Rawlings logo on the panel above the "*Official Ball*" on the other side of the laces. I cant tell from the pics you posted. The "HAITI" printed on the sweet spot makes me think it might not be, but it also could have been a later batch from when they started reproducing the balls in later years as they became popular. I believe you can actually still buy whatever All Star game ball you want from a Rawlings distributor. Still I think its always a great item to add to a collection, being his first All Star game and all. He went into the AS break with 33 HR's as a Rookie!!

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
Just wanted to share a trade I completed with a new member of the FCB message board. Long story short I told him I had a Lofton card he might need and he sent me a list of his McGwire cards. I told him that I needed four of the cards from his list and he could pick which ever card he wanted to send. I got the package today and he sent all four cards. Just wanted to thank descott77 again. Anyone that may have any Kenny Lofton cards to add to his collection I would encourage you to contact him. Below are pictures of the cards we traded.

Lofton 1997 Pinnacle X-press Metal Works Gold #/200

12-7-200915440PM.jpg

McGwire cards.

McGwire.jpg

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
Anyone know who Shrev is on ebay? He has listed some nice McGwire cards. Wish some Griffey's like that would pop up, I'd hit the BIN without missing a beat.

Members online

Latest posts