Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Miguel Cabrera charged with DUI in Florida

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
ccouch (Chad) said:
braden said:
Leagues should treat DUIs with as much, if not more severity than PED usage.

Heck, I'd just settle for our legal system treating DUIs with the severity that they merit.

Well there's an idea. There was an article in the Toronto Star last week showing that the most pardoned offense in Canada is DUI. Lovely.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
beefycheddar said:
P_Manning 18 said:
beefycheddar said:
braden said:

DUI's never break records.

They just kill people.

True, but do they effect the game? Since that is all the rules of the game mandate over.

I am not saying that DUI isn't bad, but there are already penalties for them called laws, it's not the role of sports to work over that.

Employees are held to standards by their employers. Roethlisberger was suspended for a few games despite not being charged. DUI is a completely preventable yet potentially horrific crime that isn't treated with nearly enough severity by anybody (the law, society etc). I'd like to see a league take charge and punish their employees for putting themselves and innocent people at risk.
Most athletes, especially stars like Cabrera, have clauses in their contract that preclude them from taking part in high-risk activities like skiing, etc. Well, DUI is about as high-risk as you can get.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
braden said:
beefycheddar said:
P_Manning 18 said:
beefycheddar said:
braden said:

They just kill people.

True, but do they effect the game? Since that is all the rules of the game mandate over.

I am not saying that DUI isn't bad, but there are already penalties for them called laws, it's not the role of sports to work over that.

Employees are held to standards by their employers. Roethlisberger was suspended for a few games despite not being charged. DUI is a completely preventable yet potentially horrific crime that isn't treated with nearly enough severity by anybody (the law, society etc). I'd like to see a league take charge and punish their employees for putting themselves and innocent people at risk.
Most athletes, especially stars like Cabrera, have clauses in their contract that preclude them from taking part in high-risk activities like skiing, etc. Well, DUI is about as high-risk as you can get.

I don't think Roethlisberger should have been suspended with out being charged. I also hate the Steelers as much as any franchise in sports before anyone claims bias. If the justice system fails, it fails. But it's not the role of Sports to be a court of law.

nbailey

Apr 2, 2010
Now that Miggy has sobered up and lawyered up, he will never be convicted of DUI in a million years and will most likely plea out for public intoxication or open container. The lawyer will claim that nobody saw Miggy driving the car and that he could have pulled over and then chugged the scotch without actually driving. Unlike the hardasses in the No Fun League, MLB will sit by and do absolutely nothing either.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
beefycheddar said:
braden said:
beefycheddar said:
P_Manning 18 said:
beefycheddar said:
[quote="braden":3824apso]Leagues should treat DUIs with as much, if not more severity than PED usage.

They just kill people.

I don't think Roethlisberger should have been suspended with out being charged. I also hate the Steelers as much as any franchise in sports before anyone claims bias. If the justice system fails, it fails. But it's not the role of Sports to be a court of law.[/quote:3824apso]

He doesn't have to be punished for breaking the law. He can be held accountable for putting the team's and league's investment in him at great risk, though.

bowmanchromeandorr

May 23, 2010
Race City USA
beefycheddar said:
archiebunkerjr said:
gvsu96 said:
http://www.freep.com/article/20110217/SPORTS02/110217016/Tigers-Miguel-Cabrera-charged-DUI-Fla-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

FORT PIERCE, Fla. — Detroit Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera has been arrested on drunken driving charges in Florida.

The St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office says the 27-year-old's car engine was smoking alongside a road late Wednesday when a deputy spotted the vehicle.

According to the arrest report, Cabrera smelled of alcohol, had slurred speech and took a swig from a bottle of scotch in front of a deputy.

Police say Cabrera repeatedly refused to cooperate, saying, "Do you know who I am, you don't know anything about my problems."

In 2009, the All-Star first baseman got into a fight with his wife after a night of drinking, right before his team surrendered the American League Central Division title to the Twins.

Cabrera posted $1,350 bond and was released today.

Man, he took a swig in front of the deputy? That's hardcore.

If I was in the Detroit front office, I wouldn't let my 20 million per year investment go anywhere without someone keeping an eye on him.

Reportedly he did that while blasting "Killing in the name" by Rage against the machine.

sad little day for a sad little man, he cant keep hiding behind his problems by tryign to cure it with alcohol. i am an alcoholic and can see his pain. and just so everyone knows there is no such thing as a recovering alcohol, you are always an alcoholic its up to you whether or not you choose to drink to cover the pain.

plus, that's the best RATM song ever.

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
sad story.. some of you guys are making pretty bad jokes. The guy has a problem. It needs to be addressed.. Granted he is not on the boards going "WTH man" but still... Guy has issues..

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
He is lucky he didn't get a beat down and be out for 3 months with a broken bone in his arm/hand.

VERY lucky.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
Not the first alcoholic in baseball, and won't be the last. Realistically they do treat issues like these in the worst ways. Suspending someone doesn't really help. They need actual help, not a time out.

CAROLINA BOSOX

Aug 12, 2008
Goose Creek, SC
I don't feel sorry one bit for Cabrera. He was driving drunk by his own choice and could have killed some innocent Mother, Father, or child because Cabrera has problems. Nobody felt the least bit of sorrow for the guy who killed Nick Andenhart a couple of years ago and we shouldn't. We all make choices in life and should be held accountable for them and not look for excuses to get us by. Cabrera does have issues, but endangering the lives of other people is not acceptable. He is wealthy enough to get the very best help in the world and people close to him should encourage him to do so.

ccouch (Chad)

Aug 8, 2008
CAROLINA BOSOX said:
I don't feel sorry one bit for Cabrera. He was driving drunk by his own choice and could have killed some innocent Mother, Father, or child because Cabrera has problems. Nobody felt the least bit of sorrow for the guy who killed Nick Andenhart a couple of years ago and we shouldn't. We all make choices in life and should be held accountable for them and not look for excuses to get us by. Cabrera does have issues, but endangering the lives of other people is not acceptable. He is wealthy enough to get the very best help in the world and people close to him should encourage him to do so.

I am so appreciative of your use of the word "choices" in this instance. All too often, stuff like this gets brushed off as "mistakes." There's a big difference, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
CAROLINA BOSOX said:
I don't feel sorry one bit for Cabrera. He was driving drunk by his own choice and could have killed some innocent Mother, Father, or child because Cabrera has problems. Nobody felt the least bit of sorrow for the guy who killed Nick Andenhart a couple of years ago and we shouldn't. We all make choices in life and should be held accountable for them and not look for excuses to get us by. Cabrera does have issues, but endangering the lives of other people is not acceptable. He is wealthy enough to CALL HIS DRUNK ASS A CAB and get the best help in the world and people close to him should encourage him to do so.

Fixed it for you bro!

Pastretta

Aug 27, 2008
Arizona
Bud Selig better step in and let players know this is unacceptable. Cabrera is lucky the Tigers are not in Arizona because his ass would be in tent city, face multiple fines and get a nice little breathalyzer in his rides.

I personally got help for my alcoholism and I'm damn sure with 150+ Million he can do the same damn thing. I cannot stand people who drink and drive. Luckily I was a depressed drunk and knew about the consequences of a DUI unlike Mr. Cabrera.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
The arresting officer's name is Pete Lamborghini. That's pretty awesome. It's the new Ron Mexico.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
braden said:
beefycheddar said:
braden said:
beefycheddar said:
P_Manning 18 said:
[quote="beefycheddar":1h3xatfb][quote="braden":1h3xatfb]Leagues should treat DUIs with as much, if not more severity than PED usage.

They just kill people.

I don't think Roethlisberger should have been suspended with out being charged. I also hate the Steelers as much as any franchise in sports before anyone claims bias. If the justice system fails, it fails. But it's not the role of Sports to be a court of law.[/quote:1h3xatfb]

He doesn't have to be punished for breaking the law. He can be held accountable for putting the team's and league's investment in him at great risk, though.[/quote:1h3xatfb]
Agreed. He is putting others lives in danger, his life in danger and also tarnishing the image of the franchise.

Members online

Latest posts