Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Most ridiculous offseason contract so far?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Hmmmm giving someone $25 million dollars to play a game while other people are suffering from hunger and other problems...Yeah seems right

The players, in general, are MUCH more likely to give back to their community than the already insanely rich Owners would ever think of doing it...

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Hmmmm giving someone $25 million dollars to play a game while other people are suffering from hunger and other problems...Yeah seems right

I see where you are coming from. It is a shame we do not pay our noble professions like athletes or movie stars but they are entertainers and they make the organizations a ton of money.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
It doesn't really have anything to do with the culture. It's a matter of economics; the Marlins will generate enough revenue over the next 13 years to make that deal worth it to them.

So if the dodgers are getting a $7-$8 billion tv contract should the owners pocket the money? I really don't understand the argument that players are overpaid.

This is the genesis of my point. There's no magical pool of money that the owners are swimming in and deem someone like Stanton to "share" it.

All that money is generated from the fans. Ticket prices, 15$ to park a car, commercials. Where do you think all the TV money comes from? It takes 4.5 hours to watch a football game these days.

Stanton getting that contract isn't dipping into the owners pool. The fans are going to pay that.

Parks are empty because to average person can't afford to take his family. Teams in contention all summer play to half empty parks because parking, concessions, tickets.....it's all just too expensive.

So keep shrugging and say they deserve it. Because at the end of the day, you are the ones paying Giancarlo stanton 60K a day for the next 13 years.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
This is the genesis of my point. There's no magical pool of money that the owners are swimming in and deem someone like Stanton to "share" it.

All that money is generated from the fans. Ticket prices, 15$ to park a car, commercials. Where do you think all the TV money comes from? It takes 4.5 hours to watch a football game these days.

Stanton getting that contract isn't dipping into the owners pool. The fans are going to pay that.

Parks are empty because to average person can't afford to take his family. Teams in contention all summer play to half empty parks because parking, concessions, tickets.....it's all just too expensive.

So keep shrugging and say they deserve it. Because at the end of the day, you are the ones paying Giancarlo stanton 60K a day for the next 13 years.

Where do u live that there's empty stadiums? MLB is having record attendance and I don't know about u but my personal economy is better than its been in a while so I can spend money to go to games or buy cards.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
The minimum salary of a MLB player is more then the president makes.. ;)

Effective January 1, 2001, the annual salary of the President of the United States was increased to $400,000 per year, including a $50,000 expense allowance..

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Where do u live that there's empty stadiums? MLB is having record attendance and I don't know about u but my personal economy is better than its been in a while so I can spend money to go to games or buy cards.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/homePct Half the league isn't even at 65%

And I'm glad that your personal economy is better than its been. People who talk about their money usually don't have true wealth. Put your new found money in savings and invest :)

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/homePct Half the league isn't even at 65%

And I'm glad that your personal economy is better than its been. People who talk about their money usually don't have true wealth. Put your new found money in savings and invest :)

I didn't claim to be wealthy but u said people can't afford to go out to games. It might have a lot to do with who is playing too. I watch a lot of giants game and that place is packed. I tried getting tickets to two A's/Yankees game this year but couldn't get 4 decent seats together. I guess if your local team is awful there wouldn't be as much motivation to spend money to see them. I think of the three major sports baseball is by far your best value

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011

You only pay $15 to park your car?! Lucky you I pay like $35 when I go!
But I agree with a majority of this. I'm not saying that Stanton "deserves" this kind of money per say, but like I said we've established for the last 10 years that we're going to give superstars in the MLB mega deals. Once we've established that A-Rod deal great players have been getting more and more and more and now we're at this kind of deal. After the precedent has been set, how can we just go back and say eh, nevermind this is actually what superstar players should be making?

And unfortunately what Anthony Corona said below is also true. Aside from a few very, very small market teams MLB parks are packed. If they were empty as you say on a broad scale we may be able to see some change but until the fans (myself) keep going we'll keep getting shafted. Prices endlessly increase it's just an unfortunate fact of life

Members online

Latest posts