Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Most ridiculous offseason contract so far?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
And statements like this prove my point.

No one should be making that much money to play a game. Scrubs getting inflated contracts don't make a guy making 68k a day acceptable.

It doesn't really have anything to do with the culture. It's a matter of economics; the Marlins will generate enough revenue over the next 13 years to make that deal worth it to them. If you work at SuperCuts, for example, they may only generate enough revenue to pay you $10 per hour. I agree that contracts in recent years have been going higher and higher and higher to the point of obscene, but in a free labor market people are ultimately paid what they're worth.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I dig up an old post made in a thread about kershaw a little over a year ago...

The new TV contracts have made the athletes more valuable than ever before and Kershaw is about the perfect storm (young, marketable, stays out of trouble, no injury history, best pitcher in the game, homegrown in LA market). $300 million over 10 years is risky but not really out of line.

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
So if the dodgers are getting a $7-$8 billion tv contract should the owners pocket the money? I really don't understand the argument that players are overpaid. I know there are plenty of really bad contracts in baseball but that money is coming from somewhere. And truthfully the owners have every advantage by owning the equity in their teams. When they sell the team players don't get anything the owners hold all the cards and I'm all for players getting paid. The average player has about a5-10 year window of really getting paid while the owners windows are typical much longer and sometimes generational.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
So what do you think is the most ridiculous offseason contract since it seems that this year there has been many more than past years.

Some options:

Russell Martin - 5 years 82.5 million. This deal is going to be GOD AWFUL in the next few years. Coming in barely under McCann's deal and McCann is by far the better catcher.

No they don't prove your point. Your point has nothing to do with this conversation. You are proving your ignorance and I have no idea why I unblocked your post. I can see why you are the only person on this site on my blocked list.

Calm down Francis. I think he was just speaking to his sensibilities. There are a few members here I would consider placing on my ignore list but he is not one of them.

In regards to the OP, not sure why a lot of people are saying Martin. Hate to break it to you but McCann certainly is not by far the better catcher, and I actually think the Martin deal will play out better than McCann's. Of the ones you listed, the McCarthy deal worries me the most.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Calm down Francis. I think he was just speaking to his sensibilities. There are a few members here I would consider placing on my ignore list but he is not one of them.

In regards to the OP, not sure why a lot of people are saying Martin. Hate to break it to you but McCann certainly is not by far the better catcher, and I actually think the Martin deal will play out better than McCann's. Of the ones you listed, the McCarthy deal worries me the most.
McCann's offense is much much better and his defense is very similar. McCann is one of the best pitch framers in the bigs. Martin's deal ends up with 20 million per for the last three years. Do you realistically think Martin will be an above average catcher for the last three years of that deal? I do not. The Blue jays are contenders now and should've spent big this offseason but on Martin at that price? Absolutely crazy. McCann is definitely the better catcher and it's pretty difficult to debate that BUD.
Russel Martin and the Panda .. just crazy.
Agree right here.
Why sign Butler, who I like BTW, for that kind of coin when two weeks later you're gonna blow it all up?
agree, Butler is an okay player and would be an okay deal if the A's didn't end up selling off everyone the next week. Just doesn't really make sense.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
It is said that, on average, a win is worth $5 million. If that's the case, then Stanton's deal may be a bargain. At $325 mil, that works out to being worth 65 wins. In 13 years, Stanton will most assuredly be worth more than 65 wins; even 13 seasons averaging 5.0 WAR makes it a worthy deal. He can do it.

Sandoval's deal, done up the same way, makes his salary the value of 3.8 wins. In his 6 full seasons, he's totalled 20.1 WAR, so his 3.35 aWAR is lower than expected but not terrible (given his past performance, of course).

Jon Lester's deal might be one of the worst, as it assumed an annual WAR (5.2) that he hasn't touched since a terrific run from 2008-10. Since 2011, he's averaged 2.6 WAR, which shows that he's no real ace (and that's not just an angry Sox fan talking!).

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
McCann's offense is much much better and his defense is very similar. McCann is one of the best pitch framers in the bigs. Martin's deal ends up with 20 million per for the last three years. Do you realistically think Martin will be an above average catcher for the last three years of that deal? I do not. The Blue jays are contenders now and should've spent big this offseason but on Martin at that price? Absolutely crazy. McCann is definitely the better catcher and it's pretty difficult to debate that BUD.

I know you are a Yankees fan but I think you might be a little biased on this. They are similar in age and similar in offensive value, with the edge going to McCann on SLG. but OBP. going to Martin. The metrics also place Martin ahead of McCann defensively. Their numbers have been very comparable throughout their careers. So no, it is not difficult to debate that at all. Like I said, lighten up Francis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnpkDWbeJs

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Jon Lester's deal might be one of the worst, as it assumed an annual WAR (5.2) that he hasn't touched since a terrific run from 2008-10. Since 2011, he's averaged 2.6 WAR, which shows that he's no real ace (and that's not just an angry Sox fan talking!).

Lester, not a true ace? Sounds like sour grapes to me. Since being a full time starter in 2008 he has been a top 10 pitcher in MLB, also he has pitched over 200 innings per season in all but one season where he pitched over 190. I do think his contract is an overpay but considering his WAR average on his career is around the assumed you posted, it likely will hold good value until he is a few seasons into his contract.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Lester is an Ace, no question.

And over-paying for Pitching has become a necessary evil if you want that Big Name at the top of your Rotation.

Hell, when Hamels signed his deal, that was over-paying and is now considered average market value...

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Lester, not a true ace? Sounds like sour grapes to me. Since being a full time starter in 2008 he has been a top 10 pitcher in MLB, also he has pitched over 200 innings per season in all but one season where he pitched over 190. I do think his contract is an overpay but considering his WAR average on his career is around the assumed you posted, it likely will hold good value until he is a few seasons into his contract.

Lester WAS an ace for a short stretch, but that's going back several seasons. Last few seasons, he was the #1 starter, but that's not the same as an ace. For a few seasons, a lot of Sox fans were waiting for him to make that leap to the next level, that true guaranteed win/appointment viewing ace level. Besides, only one team was crazy enough to go above 6/$130 for him; put a true ace out there and watch 15-20 offers come in. Even the team that knew him the best didn't feel he was worth ace cash.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Lester WAS an ace for a short stretch, but that's going back several seasons. Last few seasons, he was the #1 starter, but that's not the same as an ace. For a few seasons, a lot of Sox fans were waiting for him to make that leap to the next level, that true guaranteed win/appointment viewing ace level. Besides, only one team was crazy enough to go above 6/$130 for him; put a true ace out there and watch 15-20 offers come in. Even the team that knew him the best didn't feel he was worth ace cash.

I will even narrow the sample size for you and say from 2011 through 2014, and he still is within the top 10 most valuable pitchers in all of MLB. He is an ace and where he is placed on a team's rotation has nothing to do with that. I do not think it will be a good value down the road and the Red Sox probably made the right decision not signing him at that level.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Russell Martin. I don't care about pitch framing, well, at least not to the tune of $82 million over 5 years. That's asinine.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts