Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

News from the Industry Summit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Jaypers said:
I'm guessing Panini didn't address the issue of their Elite Extra baseball auto redemptions, and where the frig are they.

How many you waiting on JP?

Panini I'm sure is hearing a lot of bitching about the redemptions they have floating out there. Don't hate the company, hate the players not getting it done.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
matchpenalty said:
Jaypers said:
I'm guessing Panini didn't address the issue of their Elite Extra baseball auto redemptions, and where the frig are they.

Panini I'm sure is hearing a lot of bitching about the redemptions they have floating out there. Don't hate the company, hate the players not getting it done.

But Manny Machado could give a S about what JP thinks, but somehow Panini who does care is the bad guy.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
beefycheddar said:
matchpenalty said:
Jaypers said:

But Manny Machado could give a S about what JP thinks, but somehow Panini who does care is the bad guy.

Way to twist everything into a knot.

I'm expecting about 15 redemptions from several different players, none of which are Machado.

Thanks for playing.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
beefycheddar said:
matchpenalty said:
Jaypers said:

I'm expecting about 15 redemptions from several different players, none of which are Machado.

Thanks for playing.

You can substitute Machado's name for any other player and it's still the same result. Companies want to get the cards signed, most players could care less about it.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
beefycheddar said:
Jaypers said:
beefycheddar said:
matchpenalty said:
Jaypers said:

Thanks for playing.

You can substitute Machado's name for any other player and it's still the same result. Companies want to get the cards signed, most players could care less about it.

Well clearly they cared enough for Panini to redeem a tiny portion of their autos to customers a while back. There's a redeemed Ranaudo/50 on the Bay right now, as an example.

Which begs the question, where's the rest of them?

EDIT - And btw, I never said they didn't care. I'd just like an update.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
beefycheddar said:
Jaypers said:
beefycheddar said:
matchpenalty said:
[quote="Jaypers":1gplx64w]I'm guessing Panini didn't address the issue of their Elite Extra baseball auto redemptions, and where the frig are they.

Thanks for playing.

Well clearly they cared enough for Panini to redeem a tiny portion of their autos to customers a while back. There's a redeemed Ranaudo/50 on the Bay right now, as an example.

Which begs the question, where's the rest of them?

EDIT - And btw, I never said they didn't care. I'd just like an update.[/quote:1gplx64w]

I'd bet Ranaudo still has unsigned stickers at his house.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
2011 Year of the Hobby Store. Opening FCB Hobby shop was smart move for Gimore.
News from Panini site.....

LAS VEGAS — Aside from Panini America’s trademark Black Boxes, arguably the single most anticipated aspect of the 2011 Industry Summit came Monday afternoon with the long-awaited public unveiling of the company’s new distribution plan and pricing policy.

Mike Anderson, Panini America Vice President of Sales, sat down with The Knight’s Lance to provide an exclusive first look at some of the pertinent details, just minutes before addressing the more than 130 retailers in attendance.

Panini America has called 2011 “the year of the hobby shop.” What exactly does that mean to you?
We have always believed the brick-and-mortar store to be the lifeblood of our industry, but the hobby stores have been under siege by internet sellers that have no overhead and can undercut the hobby store prices. We are implementing some distribution changes that will give hobby stores the advantage and start to direct traffic to and through storefronts.

“The year of the hobby shop” is not a simple campaign slogan but a very real commitment by Panini America.

What factors led Panini America to make such major changes to the way it distributes its hobby products?
Current distribution models offer no incentive for people to open new stores or expand their existing business and we have to reverse the trend. Without some intervention by Panini and a change in our distribution model, we could only expect more stores to close and begin offering products online.

Manufacturers have been hesitant to address the internet issues because of the significant revenue generated by the internet sellers, but it is now critical we take a stand. We finally feel we are in a position to make a difference. Panini America is a leader worldwide and as a true leader in the category, Panini America is willing to risk losing short-term internet sales to preserve and protect our true retail partners – the hobby store.

What are the key long-term objectives of the new plan?
To give hobby stores the opportunity to thrive again. To rebuild the community that used to surround the store. A place where people could come by the store, open packs with their friends, brag about their treasures and have an enjoyable experience.

We hope the store owners will make better profit margins that will enable them, with Panini America’s support, to reinvest in their business and, simply put, grow again.

What are the key differences between how Panini America will distribute going forward and how the company has been doing it?
There are several key differences, starting with our minimum advertised price policies (MAPP). We want to protect the stores that have overhead costs by making sure no other competitor (primarily internet sellers) offer the same Panini America products at a “cost plus” price point that prohibits or prevents. We are also providing a seven-day window for the store to sell product without interference from internet sellers. If a consumer wants the latest Panini America product, they will have to find their nearest hobby store, at least for a week.

As a 30-year industry veteran, what aspect of the new plan most excites you?
It is fair! We have watched a lot of changes take place but not always for the benefit of everyone in the industry. I think it is clear to anyone that has ever purchased a Panini America product that we are trying to deliver good values at fair prices. No games!

We now have the opportunity and enough support to make a difference in how these products flow through the marketplace.

Good products, fair prices and a solid distribution plan is a recipe for success. We recognize if our consumers, retailers and distributors win, we will win.

What do the new policies mean to traditional brick-and-mortar storefronts?
It means they finally have a friend in the industry. They finally have someone who understands their situation and is willing to take a stand. It means they have a reason to be optimistic again.

What feedback have you received thus far from those most affected by the changes?
I have heard from countless stores that were “on the brink” of closing their stores. Our commitment has made the difference in their decision to renew leases, commit advertising dollars and involve their family in the business. We are so excited to see this renewed enthusiasm. It is a reward in itself.

Perhaps more than any other group, online retailers are the most impacted by these new procedures. What does the new program mean for them?
We have talked with many online retailers and every one of them has been supportive. Everyone recognizes the need for change and if we strive to be fair to everyone and everyone can start to profit again, everyone will win. Even the internet sellers have been caught up in price wars and they welcome the relief. A “high tide raises all boats” and a fair distribution plan will definitely raise the tide.

I believe we have been supported by everyone in the entire food chain because we want to insure a place for everyone. We are not trying to eliminate anyone. We’re trying to level the field. MAPP will allow internet sellers to be profitable again because they will no longer compete solely on price. We hope everyone will compete on the service they provide rather than who can sell the cheapest.

What does this new plan say about Panini America’s commitment to the long-term viability of the hobby shop and, as a result, the hobby at large?
This is a major commitment to the hobby store and to the industry and I am grateful the senior management (Mr. Sallustro, Group CEO in Italy, and Mark Warsop, CEO at Panini America) has encouraged these changes. Programs similar to ours have failed in the past because it takes some time for everyone to adjust to the new flow of product. We are already hearing of some large “buyers” frequenting hobby stores and getting re-acquainted. We hope everyone will help make this a smooth transition.

We need everyone to support our products now more than ever.

What will the industry be saying about this program one year from now?
I hope they will be saying they are proud to be in this industry. I hope they will recognize our intentions were honorable and Panini America made a difference. I hope they will be suggesting to friends and relatives that they should take another look at our hobby. It’s safe to come back in the water again.

Jul 30, 2009
Here are the highlights from Monday followed by some pics.

PANINIPanini will be bringing back "90s style" inserts in Basketball. No other info except they did mention Jambalaya.

EEE will be produced in December, even without a full collegiate license. They are allowed to show players in college uniforms as long as certain logos, numbers, etc are not shown.

They couldnt mention it specifically, but they WILL BE issuing Baseball products. They were hoping to have full info for this Summit and I heard they were awarded a retired player contract.

Many dealers were asking for HOBBY type blaster boxes, $20-$25 boxes similar to retail but with Hobby content.

THERE WILL BE LESS REDEMPTIONS FROM PANINI in 2010. They said the reason for the abundance in 2010 was because of the transistion the comapny went through.

Panini will also improve product content and they talked about their new distributor contract, as highlighted above.

TOPPS

"Topps Hobby Express" was introduced, and it looks really good.
It is designed for Hobby Stores and their customers to get missing (not damaged) cards fast.
Stores have to be HTA and prove they bought from a Topps dist or direct.

Cards which could be replaced are GU, autos and NUMBERED Refractors (again, not damaged) which were missing from the box.

The process is simple as the dealer only has to send an email with the box serial number (inside the box), Hobby shop's ID number, its phone number, the customers name and where the store bought the box.

There will be 21 Baseball products this year and only one of the two axed retro products (Chicle/206) will be replaced with another retro (Gypsy Queen).

Topps Sterling is most likely getting the axe as well, PERHAPS to be replaced by Five Star.

All but THREE Baseball products will be released by the World Series with one release issued every other week starting mid June- end November.

Topps has also partnered with MLBN and will be releasing a "Prime 9" promotion which will be rolled out in July.

I wasnt able to get all the info on this but from what I have, I THINK....THINK.....they will be redemptions (2 per box) which can be redeemed at Hobby Stores for Chrome die cut cards, prizes, etc.

There will be more on card autos for the NFL and "100%" there will be a draft and rookie photo shoot.

The reason why Topps Chrome had horrible quality was because their previous supplier of Chrome stock went out of business and Topps had to scramble to find another company.
They have since sent empoyees out to perspective companies to make sure their chrome stuff meet their standards.

Topps also said that the last part of 2010 was "one of the worst times in Topps history." and the reason why TC, BC and TUH were over produced was because they tried to forcast demand.

They also said that the 2011 calendar is shaping up to be their best schedule and that the Hobby is the vast majority of sales, not retail.

Lastly, they told us that despite what most think, they didnt "relax" because of the exlusivity.

Ok, so thats all the serious, conference meeting stuff.
Below are some pictures you will all enjoy.

THIS IS WHAT 121 BLACK BOXES LOOK LIKE (we all got one as we left the Panini presentation
IMG_20110321_130512.jpg
I believe each box had a 1/1 jersey/patch or auto (possible hot boxes too) and some had a redemption card for Kobe/Durant or Wall auto shoes.

Heres a pic of the Topps 60 yr anniversary dinner.
Awesome views of Vegas in a very high end setting...OPEN BAR TOO.
IMG_20110321_190558.jpg
Great pack war, trivia and contest prizes ranging from Opening day boxes to Bowman Sterling boxes to a Five Star pack.

BTW, Vegas has got to be the WORST place ever to get internet reception, having problems constantly, from cell to laptop and getting pics from my Bucket to load....

Heres my haul from the dinner
th_IMG_20110321_202010.jpg
Bowman Sterling box and Hank Aaron 60 yr anniversary BGS slabbed auto 4/10

Ill continue tomorrow

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
matchpenalty said:
Jaypers said:

I think yuou have it wrong here. Don't blame Panini, blame the player is a BS statement. I have been waiting on a Rodrigue Beaubois NT auto RC since it is a redemption. Panini is located in Dallas, and Beaubois plays for the Mavericks. I'm sure Roddy isn't communting from France to Dallas everyday. How hard can it be for Panini to get him to sign??

No valid excuses here, how hard could it be to knock on the guys door and get him to sign the cards?

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
beefycheddar said:
matchpenalty said:
Jaypers said:

Panini is the "Bad Guy". Their product lines suck, no creative new designs, terrible customer service. Bad,Bad, Bad!

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
hoopster3977 said:
matchpenalty said:
Jaypers said:

I think yuou have it wrong here. Don't blame Panini, blame the player is a BS statement. I have been waiting on a Rodrigue Beaubois NT auto RC since it is a redemption. Panini is located in Dallas, and Beaubois plays for the Mavericks. I'm sure Roddy isn't communting from France to Dallas everyday. How hard can it be for Panini to get him to sign??

No valid excuses here, how hard could it be to knock on the guys door and get him to sign the cards?

You think Panini wants to waste money on envelopes and postage and paying people to fill redemptions. It's all cost they don't want. It is 100% on players. Hate the player. These guys most of time could care less about signing. Watch some of the signings on Panini site. Looks like they almost have to drag some of these guys tooth and nail to sign. Most don't like doing them at all.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
matchpenalty said:
These guys most of time could care less about signing. Looks like they almost have to drag some of these guys tooth and nail to sign. Most don't like doing them at all.

Its not like they are doing it for free...

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
hoopster3977 said:
beefycheddar said:
matchpenalty said:
Jaypers said:

Panini is the "Bad Guy". Their product lines suck, no creative new designs, terrible customer service. Bad,Bad, Bad!
z30098509.jpg

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
matchpenalty said:
It is 100% on players. Hate the player. These guys most of time could care less about signing.

I've wondered why the manufacturers don't file breach of contract lawsuits against the players after waiting 6 months or a year or whatever of waiting for agreed-upon signatures to be submitted. I know it probably must be expense and that it's cheaper to wait longer to see if the autos materialize rather than take it to court to speed up the process of getting signatures in-hand or getting some judgment against the player.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
rsmath said:
matchpenalty said:
It is 100% on players. Hate the player. These guys most of time could care less about signing.

I've wondered why the manufacturers don't file breach of contract lawsuits against the players after waiting 6 months or a year or whatever of waiting for agreed-upon signatures to be submitted. I know it probably must be expense and that it's cheaper to wait longer to see if the autos materialize rather than take it to court to speed up the process of getting signatures in-hand or getting some judgment against the player.

Think about your comment for a minute. What happens if the manufacturer brings a breach of contract suit?

Yeah, the manufacturer will likely get a check in the mail from the athlete's financial advisor.

However, the manufacturer then has to deal with substitutions and unhappy customers.

FURTHER, and MUCH more importantly, the manufacturer can forget about ever contracting with that particular player ever again.

On top of that, the person who set up the autographing between the company and the player likely represents numerous players. THe manufacturer can forget about getting anyone else that the marketing representative represents.

FURTHER, players talk, and if a player talks about being sued by a manufacturer, you can be sure that his fellow athletes will shy away from it, and as such, the manufacturer can forget about getting those people as well.

One lawsuit can put a manufacturer out of the autographing game and essentially out of business for an entire sport.

Members online

Latest posts