Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

News from the Industry Summit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
011873 said:
Here are the highlights from Monday followed by some pics.

PANINIPanini will be bringing back "90s style" inserts in Basketball. No other info except they did mention Jambalaya.

EEE will be produced in December, even without a full collegiate license. They are allowed to show players in college uniforms as long as certain logos, numbers, etc are not shown.

They couldnt mention it specifically, but they WILL BE issuing Baseball products. They were hoping to have full info for this Summit and I heard they were awarded a retired player contract.

Many dealers were asking for HOBBY type blaster boxes, $20-$25 boxes similar to retail but with Hobby content.

THERE WILL BE LESS REDEMPTIONS FROM PANINI in 2010. They said the reason for the abundance in 2010 was because of the transistion the comapny went through.

Panini will also improve product content and they talked about their new distributor contract, as highlighted above.

TOPPS

"Topps Hobby Express" was introduced, and it looks really good.
It is designed for Hobby Stores and their customers to get missing (not damaged) cards fast.
Stores have to be HTA and prove they bought from a Topps dist or direct.

Cards which could be replaced are GU, autos and NUMBERED Refractors (again, not damaged) which were missing from the box.

The process is simple as the dealer only has to send an email with the box serial number (inside the box), Hobby shop's ID number, its phone number, the customers name and where the store bought the box.

There will be 21 Baseball products this year and only one of the two axed retro products (Chicle/206) will be replaced with another retro (Gypsy Queen).

Topps Sterling is most likely getting the axe as well, PERHAPS to be replaced by Five Star.

All but THREE Baseball products will be released by the World Series with one release issued every other week starting mid June- end November.

Topps has also partnered with MLBN and will be releasing a "Prime 9" promotion which will be rolled out in July.

I wasnt able to get all the info on this but from what I have, I THINK....THINK.....they will be redemptions (2 per box) which can be redeemed at Hobby Stores for Chrome die cut cards, prizes, etc.

There will be more on card autos for the NFL and "100%" there will be a draft and rookie photo shoot.

The reason why Topps Chrome had horrible quality was because their previous supplier of Chrome stock went out of business and Topps had to scramble to find another company.
They have since sent empoyees out to perspective companies to make sure their chrome stuff meet their standards.

Topps also said that the last part of 2010 was "one of the worst times in Topps history." and the reason why TC, BC and TUH were over produced was because they tried to forcast demand.

They also said that the 2011 calendar is shaping up to be their best schedule and that the Hobby is the vast majority of sales, not retail.

Lastly, they told us that despite what most think, they didnt "relax" because of the exlusivity.

Ok, so thats all the serious, conference meeting stuff.
Below are some pictures you will all enjoy.

Thanks for the update. I look forward to Wednesday's update.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Is today the last day of the summit? Maybe BG will spring a Ali Metal news at very end to leave the place with a big buzz. Just like bringing in Rodman to start it.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
They couldnt mention it specifically, but they WILL BE issuing Baseball products. They were hoping to have full info for this Summit and I heard they were awarded a retired player contract. I knew Topps inking Koufax to an exclusive seemed random, but this is probably why. I don't think, however, Panini is interested in a full MLB license although I wish they were. They're even satisfied with a non-collegiate release. This is disappointing since I'd personally like to see some non-Topps MLB products.

Many dealers were asking for HOBBY type blaster boxes, $20-$25 boxes similar to retail but with Hobby content. Another excellent idea and I hope to see this come to fruition. Not every customer has the $100 to drop on a box of Prestige, especially kids.
THERE WILL BE LESS REDEMPTIONS FROM PANINI in 2010. They said the reason for the abundance in 2010 was because of the transistion the comapny went through. F YEAH.

"Topps Hobby Express" was introduced, and it looks really good. Missing hits problem solved? We'll see, but what about the damaged cards? It is still an issue.

Topps Sterling is most likely getting the axe as well, PERHAPS to be replaced by Five Star. Have we given Topps enough chances to make a good high end product? Five Star as it was in football doesn't work for baseball.

All but THREE Baseball products will be released by the World Series with one release issued every other week starting mid June- end November. Pending release date delays...

I wasnt able to get all the info on this but from what I have, I THINK....THINK.....they will be redemptions (2 per box) which can be redeemed at Hobby Stores for Chrome die cut cards, prizes, etc. This would be great for brick and mortar stores. Foot traffic is priceless.

Topps also said that the last part of 2010 was "one of the worst times in Topps history." and the reason why TC, BC and TUH were over produced was because they tried to forcast demand. It seems like they tried to meet demand rather than forcast it, but whatever. As long as an effort is made to avoid the oversaturation like 2010 then I'll be happy.

They also said that the 2011 calendar is shaping up to be their best schedule and that the Hobby is the vast majority of sales, not retail. I'd love to see both Panini and Topps move back towards servicing brick-and-mortar shops.

Jul 30, 2009
Here is the final update.

According to the companies, the #1 complaint about redemption cards is the turn around time.

UPPER DECK:
Richard McMillian addressed us and here are some of his comments.

Upper Deck went through a total overhaul and is completely redone.
They will expand their product line and UD is profitable.

The reason for the move is because the building they have been using since 1991 is SEVEN ACRES...in other words, there is no need for that size building.

The reason for the new distributor/ Hobby Store policy is because there are "too many hands in the cookie jar" meaning too many distributors, l and ack of manufactor control over product flow.

Some upcoming products from UD:
Exquisite FB: showed some stunning auto patches, the kind that you would think were faked. Thats how amazing some looked.

UD Football: Mid April and the return of WILD CARD STRIPES. Anyone who doesnt remember what the stripes were, here you go. Some cards will have stripes on them with a denomination (10, 50, 100, etc). Say you get a Peterson 100 stripe, you can either keep (obviously) or send it into UD and they will send you 100 non striped Peterrson cards.
Every box will also have an auto letterman.

Sweet Spot FB: ONLY FOUR PACKS PER BOX. Each pack will have an auto (2 auto helmets and 2 reg autos a box).

All Time Greats Basketball: Packed in tin, it will have cards of the same player (1 auto, 3 base). The CL looked insane.

SP Legendary Cuts BASEBALL: ONE CUT PER PACK!
91 Hof players will be featured aong with presidents, and the big one.....dual cut auto "Camelot" with JFK, Jackie, RFK and I believe JFK jr.

Goodwin Champs: 20 packs box with 10 minis cards. There will be SP's, SSP's and every card is painted. And you know there will be bugs.

I couldnt get all the info for these because of the allocated time they had so double check it all before you order it.

LEAF:
Not sure how much of the following has been releaed but here ya go.

Ultimate FB Draft: Thickest Draft Cards ever. 1 auto will be die cut into a helmet, another into a football. Plus two reg autos.

The autos on THESE cards are samples. Look at the thickness.
IMG_20110322_142501.jpg

Leaf Draft FB: I tell you, these cards look awesome, the "refractors" look amazing. And its all chrome "like" technology.

Pop Century: Some INSANE celeb autos including Brittne Spears, Pamela Anderson, Lindsey Lohan, Kim Kardasian, Shatner, Harrison Ford, Christina Applegate, Miley Sirus, Mickey Rourke, etc. Eight autos per box.

BG also showed samples of the Ali Metal set (Chrome like).
IMG_20110322_143116.jpg

All in all, pretty awesome time. Got so many great gifts and it was pretty close to what the Hawaii Trade Conferences used to be, minus the hot weather (chilly for Vegas) and Luau.

Here are some pics:

The main meeting room
IMG_20110322_092614.jpg

Jul 30, 2009
Heres some more info:

Pete Rose was there and not only did he sign for us, he added his hits total and took Q&A.
IMG_20110322_181324.jpg

I won this Harry Truman cut auto from Historic Autographs
IMG_20110322_181947.jpg

As for my UD and Panini Black Boxes, I sold the UD (dont know what he got) and I came back with two SEALED Panini Black Boxes.

Brian Price from ITG was there too. He is totally into Hockey. And anyway, his ITG Baseball product is pretty solid. No exact due date as to when series two wil be issued. That will be determined when thw Hobby absorbs some more of series one.

Historic Autographs has really stepped up their product, from the packaging to the content.

Many of the smaller companies and obviously dealers, commented that companies should not issue redemption cards if they dont have the auto in stock. Redemptions were a very hot topic.

Someone brought up double dipping when it came to the hand outs. I believe I saw someone getting thier second hand out (only supposed to get one) taken away from them.

The hotel (The Orleans) was very nice. The slots were mostly penny, nickels, quarters. The tables $5-$10.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Thanks for the updates sir!

I really like the Legendary Cuts being one per pack. I recommended that to them back in 2006. :lol: Any SRP on those BTW?

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Sounded like good times.
That Truman cut looks awesome. Nice win.
Who brought in Pete Rose to sign. Another great perk for you guys. Would he sign anything or did they have certified cards like Leaf had Rodman sign?
Did Topps bring any goodies to hand out?

peterose4hof

Mar 23, 2011
Thanks for all the updates and great info! Seeing the pictures and hearing the stories sure makes me miss having my (brick & mortar) store. I went to the summits/meetings a few times when they were in Florida and they were very informative and I got lots of nice, Free Stuff.

It's great to see the Hit King make an appearance!!! Of course he lives in Vegas so it makes sense.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
011873 said:
The first "formal" meeting took place after that where everyone got together in the room and introduced themselves along with soemthing that should be improved in the Hobby.

Redemptions were the hottest topic at this meeting, many people commented on that.
Sure, just about anything you can think of (lateness, low quality, lack of products, NFL lock out, Bowman Chrome over production, etc) was also brought up.
Did anyone say, "lack of competition in the licensed baseball market"??

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
That Ali Leaf Metal card is off the chain.

One thing I fail to see though is Panini thinking they can all of a sudden change how this hobby has evolved. Now, granted I understand that there are a lot of big time wax rippers. I love watching people blow thousands at the shop opening high end stuff. But I'd say more money is made online through the singles market. Even if they sell a lot of wax in stores, that still doesn't help people who aren't busting it. And they will do as always and buy online. My Hobby Shops have had to basically try and survive by having loyal customers who rip tons of wax. Some are doing okay on this front. But others are barely hanging on. If a Hobby shop is pretty much only going to get by because people are buying boxes...I don't see brick and mortar stores having any better of a chance than they have had previously. They need to help themselves and I don't think Panini can do that for them.

You want to own a barren shop that sees no action until the newest release because you refuse to carry a good selection of singles....well that's on you. The successful shops, the ones still in business, either have been really lucky to have some loyal addicts who can't control themselves or they have smartened up and started selling a good selection of singles, building sets for people, and branching out into other aspects. Cause trust me, if you are relying on 60%-75% of your money being made on wax rippers, then you are going to eventually be screwed. People lose interest, lose jobs, have kids, get married, die, get sick, etc. Its not always a sustainable life style. I think its a bad hole these hobby shops have dug themselves. In fact, I'd even say that the only reason they even can stay afloat by selling wax is the extreme price that it has gotten to. Boxes are outrageously priced and if they weren't, and everything was under $100...these guys wouldn't be able to do it.

Add to that there is always someone somewhere that will let customers go in halfs on products at their cost or slightly above and it will never really be able to kill online distribution. Then what?

Anyways...nice scans and sounds like you had a cool time!

Members online

Latest posts